PDA

View Full Version : Front element chip: How bad is this?

cuypers1807
7-May-2021, 11:39
Received a damaged lens in the mail today. Sadly it is a 14" Pinkham Bi-Quality. The front element is chipped on the inside. How much do you think this chip will effect image quality? I would like to keep the lens if possible and get a partial refund from the seller after they file an insurance claim.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51163192202_e89df15423.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51164642609_12977ceeea.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51164961700_6f5a4d0eee.jpg

Dan Fromm
7-May-2021, 11:53
I expect that the two chips will give you major flare. If you can mount the lens on a camera with the sun just out of the frame, check the image on the ground glass.

I understand why you want to keep it. If you can open the lens, fill the chips with india ink and see whether this will improve the image.

Years ago I bought a set of 210/5.6 Fujinon cells. The lens had been dropped front down on some rocks and the front surface had deep gouges, the price reflected this. Filling the gouges with india ink made the lens very usable.

cuypers1807
7-May-2021, 11:57
I expect that the two chips will give you major flare. If you can mount the lens on a camera with the sun just out of the frame, check the image on the ground glass.

I understand why you want to keep it. If you can open the lens, fill the chips with india ink and see whether this will improve the image.

Years ago I bought a set of 210/5.6 Fujinon cells. The lens had been dropped front down on some rocks and the front surface had deep gouges, the price reflected this. Filling the gouges with india ink made the lens very usable.

Thank you for the quick reply. It is just 1 chip. The 3rd image just shows the piece of glass loose on the inside of the lens. I am making a lensboard for it now to test it out.

ic-racer
7-May-2021, 12:36
Isn't the idea with a lens like that to make blurry or low contrast pictures anyway?

Lachlan 717
7-May-2021, 12:48
Also will depend on format. The smaller the format, sans movements, the less the impact.

LabRat
7-May-2021, 12:50
The chipped piece can be re-cemented in place with Canada balsam or superglue, and not leave a shadow on film...

Steve K

cuypers1807
7-May-2021, 13:14
The chipped piece can be re-cemented in place with Canada balsam or superglue, and not leave a shadow on film...

Steve K
Thanks Steve! That would be good news. Know anyone who could do this repair?

Eric Woodbury
7-May-2021, 14:56
Test it as-is. Then cover the chips w 3M opaque photo tape and try again.

lassethomas
7-May-2021, 15:50
My guess is that you would be pressed to see any artifacts and degradation in most situations. Shoot into the sun and there would perhaps be some flare and lowered contrast..

I submit a link to lens rentals blog post with some examples from a much worse damaged lens.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches/

But test and see how it looks.

Steven Tribe
8-May-2021, 00:47
You haven’t mentioned the packaging of this lens! I hope you have taken some photographs of it. This kind of damage can only be caused by a very solid impact with no cushioning around the lens.
Unless you paid well under the going rate for this lens, you will loose about half your investment in a resale. I realise that this is a “dream” acquisition, but you must think rationally!

This edge flake is not a clean break. There are lots of peaks, valleys and small cracks and semi loose pieces on the surfaces and doubt that a glueing of the flake is advisable. There will also be a lot of very small debris glass “dust” around. Painting the rough surface with India ink/mat paint has always worked for me.

johnasavoia
8-May-2021, 09:59
Obviously at some level, it doesn't matter what the end result on image making is, if the fact of the chip bothers you, and the lens is seen as an investment as much as a photographic tool, you should probably cut your losses and either return it or sell it on towards a lens that won't leave you with these questions. If you are less interested in lens as investment, and only care about it as a tool for making work, I have serious doubts that such a chip will have much effect on image quality outside of some severe light edge cases.

This is a 35mm lens, but I recently purchased this m-mount 28mm lens with severe cracks, chips, and damage to the front two elements (with full knowledge of the damage) and even on a high resolution digital camera I can't see any evidence, even shooting into the late day sun.

Jody_S
8-May-2021, 14:10
Heartbreaking. In my experience, insurance only covers loss of the parcel, not damage to the item from poor packaging.