PDA

View Full Version : What is the longest lens to use on Horseman VHR?

Hugh Sakols
4-Feb-2006, 17:16
The longest lens I use on my Horseman VHR is a Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar convertable 210. I'm curious how long I can go and still get adequet landscape movements? Also what is the longest I can go with minimal movements?

Will Strain
4-Feb-2006, 18:29
I've never gone over my 210 either... Are you going to be using the 4x5 extension back? That adds some length. Otherwise, I don't know if you could even go as far as a 300mm without finding a board with extension tubes (and all their problems) on it.

But on that note, I do recall seeing a custom extension board for the toho, perhaps something similar could be made for the vhr.

Paul Droluk
4-Feb-2006, 18:59
I cheat and use a telephoto... Nikon 270/6.3 T-ED. It works well even on a standard board, but I use a slightly extended board (about 10mm) for better close focus. The lens is killer good, but I have never tried employing movements with it. My understanding is that tilt and swing are a bit more difficult due to the telephoto design. BTW... if you don't have the angle-finder GET ONE.

Ted Harris
5-Feb-2006, 11:54
Another answer is the Horseman 2x Telextender. Don't scoff, this is not one of the cheap designs you see for 35mm all the time. it is designed to be sued with any of the popular 150mm modern lenses but also works with other focal lengths. Using it with the 150mm on the Horseman you have ample bellows draw to use it at infinity although you can only go a bit closer. I used one when I owned a Horseman FA and it gave nice, sharp results. Jim at Midwest frequently has them available for $150 and less.

Sam Crater
6-Feb-2006, 09:20
Ted, is that right? the Horseman tele-extender can be used at infinity on an FA? I thought you needed close to 300mm draw.

Sal Santamaura
6-Feb-2006, 09:29
Archives, archives archives. How difficult can it be?

I posted this exactly one week ago:

Horseman teleconverter draw. (http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/504840.html#587755)

Sam Crater
6-Feb-2006, 11:50
It's difficult when different posts state different facts! Cut me a little slack.

Sal Santamaura
6-Feb-2006, 12:01
Sorry Sam, it's a general gripe / pet peeve. Key word searches usually work, but so few are willing to perform them. Repetitive posts clutter up the archives, making it more difficult for those who do search to find what they're looking for.

Ted Harris
6-Feb-2006, 12:52
To follow on .... thanks Sal ...

The specified required draw for the 2x with the 150 is 259 mm .... my own experience is that it may need a bit more. Nonetheless, no problem on either the FA or the HD as they both have the same 243 mm maximum extension on the front plus and additional 23 mm in the back for a total of 266 .... add oneof the readily available Horseman lensboards with a stlight front extension and you even have some wiggle room.

I used one for several years with the Apo Symmar 150 and never ran out of movements for typical landscape shooting. In fact,if it had not been for the use of the 150 with the 2x I would have sold it long before I did.