PDA

View Full Version : wide angle lens for Toyo A11 4x5

jerry smithson
24-Feb-2000, 18:29
I need advice on a wide angle landscape lens for a 4x5 Toyo model A11,all of my photography is landscape photography and I want something that will capture a wider scenic view without having that fish eye view. Any advice will be appreciated.

thank

Eugene
24-Feb-2000, 19:09
I tried the Nikon 120 SW and found the rear element to be too large for the 110mm lens board on my 45AII.It probably would have been a great focal length for landscape work.I now use the Nikon 90 SW on the 12mm recessed lensboard and find it to be the ideal focal length for that particular camera.It has greater depth of field for near-far focusing than the 120 SW.It does include more foreground,but I can live with that.The recessed lensboard helps with front movements,even though it makes shutter settings a little difficult.Hope this helps you to make your decision.

tim atherton
24-Feb-2000, 19:28
Hi,

I use a 90mm Nikkor f8 with my Toyo 4x5A. I don't use a recessed board. It would help every now and then, but I have generally done okay without it (those bellows seem pretty felxible) I've used it for a mixture of architectural and landscape, so I have used the shift quite a bit. Shooting vertical once, I forgot to drop the bed and managed to get it in the shot though...

I think the 90mm = about a 24 to 28mm lens in 35mm., depending how you measure it.

Tim A

Bill Glickman
24-Feb-2000, 21:35
Jerry, on the AII, I would not try to go below 90mm. And 90mm is very wide for 4x5, but does not have that distorted look you mention. There is an excellent selection of 90's on the market. Based on your next focal length, you may consider the Super Symar 110 XL, an excellent lens for that camera / format. I do firmly reccomend the recessed lens board for 90, but for 110 you can get away with out it assuming you don't use extremem movements. If you do use a recessed lens board, do not buy the Toyo circular shutter release adapter, I had to toss mine in lieu of a cheap $15 90 Deg. angle shutter release adapter. The cheapo angle adapter works much better.. good luck...

Ross Martin
25-Feb-2000, 01:54
Jerry,

I have used the Nikon 90mm f/8 extensively on my Toyo AX (an AII without revolving back/focus hood). I do not drop the bed, and yet have never had vignetting from the front of the bed, even for verticals. I do not use a recessed board, yet I have always had plenty of room to make the movements I most often use in landscapes (front and/or rear tilt, rise/fall, swing). It is a great workhorse focal lenth and the lens is astonishingly sharp at f/16, f/22 and f/32, and still quite good at f/45. I'm quite happy with mine.

John Wiemer
25-Feb-2000, 16:49
I'm using a 75mm with my Toyo AII with a recessed lensboard. I've never had problems with the flatbed vignetting. I also use a 90mm without a recessed board. Both have worked fine.