PDA

View Full Version : Epson V850 Pro Scanner and 5x7 film & other

Raymond Bleesz
22-Apr-2021, 10:39
Some basic questions regarding the Epson scanner

1. at this price point, why is there no transparency holder for 2 1/4 slides---I understand one can separate the holder from the tranny & using the existing transparency holder provided for this sized film but ............

2. what are your suggestions for scanning 5x7BW negs on this scanner

3. is the Silver Fast scanning program which is a demo for 30 odd days on a new scanner purchase a worthy purchase after the demo program has run its course? Again at this price point, the Silver Fast program should be a "purchased" item when the scanner is purchased rather than a demo

Please enlighten

thank you

Raymond

Tin Can
22-Apr-2021, 12:51
I scanned all my slides 16 years ago with dedicated NIKON scanner, I kept them, end of story

I dry scan 5X7 flat on Epson V700 glass with Epson 8X10 mask and a black mat cut to 5X7 and prefer to scan B&W in color

I have used Vuescan for years, it works with almost any scanner, with constant upgrades forever...

I really don't like scanning, or Digi printing

Most scans I do are to send a tiny Digi file to interested parties

parties are over

I do get 'emergency' scan requests and repair of old prints as we die off

a thankless job and Sad

grat
22-Apr-2021, 14:20
That's odd. My V800 came with a full license for SilverFast SE 8, not a demo. I had the option to upgrade (at a discount) to SilverFast SE Plus 8, which I did. Not entirely sure the upgrade was worth it, but compared to the cost of the scanner, it wasn't that painful.

I prefer Silverfast, having tried Vuescan and Epson scan-- but I admit, I'm not a typical user. I've been using computers and scanners of varying vintages for nearly 3 decades, so the anachronistic interface in Silverfast doesn't bother me.

Alan Klein
22-Apr-2021, 15:57

1. at this price point, why is there no transparency holder for 2 1/4 slides---I understand one can separate the holder from the tranny & using the existing transparency holder provided for this sized film but ............

3. is the Silver Fast scanning program which is a demo for 30 odd days on a new scanner purchase a worthy purchase after the demo program has run its course? Again at this price point, the Silver Fast program should be a "purchased" item when the scanner is purchased rather than a demo

Please enlighten

thank you

Raymond

Raymond, I have aV850 Pro.
1. There are two holders for each format including 120 medium format. The holder has some problems for some. Check this page out. https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=129198.0
2.There's no holder specifically for 5x7. I shoot 4x5, 120, and 35mm and don't shoot 5x7 that so I don't know how people scan it. I suppose it's scanned on the glass platen like the 8x10. But there's no specific holder.
3. I use the Epsonscan program that comes with the V850 PRo and have never used Silverfast although the less expensive version is included in the V850 package from Epson.

Here's the Epson spec page for the scanner. https://epson.com/For-Work/Scanners/Photo-and-Graphics/Epson-Perfection-V850-Pro-Photo-Scanner/p/B11B224201

Good luck on whatever you decide.

djdister
22-Apr-2021, 17:26
I have the Epson V750 scanner and use a simple 5x7 negative holder made out of two pieces of mat board - it works well for me.

pendennis
22-Apr-2021, 18:08
Re: 120 film.

I bought the Better Scanning frame for my V850. I used GEPE glass slide mounts for all my MF transparencies, so it was easy to dismount them and load them into the Better Scanning frame. Results have been outstanding, to me. I've used the V850's MF frames but the Better Scanning frame is much better.

I've read that they've been out of production due to COVID, but are back up and running(?).

lenicolas
23-Apr-2021, 05:50
I bought a V850 in 2020. I think that some version of silverfast was included, but I bought the discounted upgrade to have the option of saving RAW files and tweaking them later (they call this HDR mode for some incomprehensible reason).

I also use a third party holder for 120 film, the Lomography DIGITALISA but it wouldn’t help your mounted slides problem.

Alan Klein
23-Apr-2021, 05:50

Please enlighten

thank you

Raymond

1. I misunderstood your first issue. If you're referring to 120 film (6x6) already mounted, then no there is no holder for it only for 35mm mounted slides.

sanking
23-Apr-2021, 11:01
There is a fluid mount adaptor for the Epson V800/850. Also fits the V700/750.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086837-REG/epson_b12b818272_fluid_mount.html?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxfri_veU8AIVV8DICh3lWA4HEAQYAiABEgLbX_D_BwE

The adaptor is designed to scan with the film holder area which has a limit of about 6.5 x 8.5.

Sandy

Jim Andrada
24-Apr-2021, 01:40
I scanned 5 x 7 wet mounted on an Epson 750 "mounting station"- I found it took less than 30 seconds to wet mount a negative and results were quite good. I upgraded to a Creo/Kodak IQsmart 2 and dry scan on the scanner glass. Better results but not cheap and not small. And not fast either.

Tin Can
24-Apr-2021, 04:01
What are the problems with wet scan?

Does is clean up easily?

Does it attract dust?

Can it drip inside the scanner?

Can it damage a scanner?

Can it damage a negative in any way?

How long does a neg need to wait until return to storage package?

I see it works in the high rez center area and 5X7 film are largest possible

Does anybody wet mount and scan DRY of WET PLATES?

I will buy one Monday

Regardless

I scanned 5 x 7 wet mounted on an Epson 750 "mounting station"- I found it took less than 30 seconds to wet mount a negative and results were quite good. I upgraded to a Creo/Kodak IQsmart 2 and dry scan on the scanner glass. Better results but not cheap and not small. And not fast either.

sanking
24-Apr-2021, 06:00
Does is clean up easily?

If done right, yes, clean up is fast and easy.

Does it attract dust?

Not in my experience.

If wet mounting is on the base scanner glass, yes. If done on a the glass of a fluid mounting adaptor, not very likely.

Can it damage a scanner?
Not in normal use, but keep fluid from getting inside the scanner.

Very unlikely when using a flatbed scanner. Greater risk with drum scanner due to high speed rotation of the drum. Most people just wipe the mineral oil off the negative when done. This seems to work OK. Others wash the film to remove the oil, then run through photo flo before drying. Typically no damage is done to the negative, but anytime you wet the film again there is an an increased risk of damage, and the slight residue of the mineral oil probably should be removed.
Risk to negative with drum scanner much greater because of high speed of drum rotation. If the film is not secured well with tape it may break loose and be damaged. I had a sheet of 12X20" film torn up one time like that, made me a lot more cautious with future scans.

If you just wipe the scanner fluid off, only a few minutes. If you re-wash the film to remove scanner fluid residue, film will need to dry again.

I think whole plate negatives can be scanner in the center area.

Not me.

I will buy one Monday

Regardless[/QUOTE]

Tin Can
24-Apr-2021, 06:14
Thank you, Sandy

Alan Klein
24-Apr-2021, 06:21
Does is clean up easily?

If done right, yes, clean up is fast and easy.

Does it attract dust?

Not in my experience.

If wet mounting is on the base scanner glass, yes. If done on a the glass of a fluid mounting adaptor, not very likely.

Can it damage a scanner?
Not in normal use, but keep fluid from getting inside the scanner.

Very unlikely when using a flatbed scanner. Greater risk with drum scanner due to high speed rotation of the drum. Most people just wipe the mineral oil off the negative when done. This seems to work OK. Others wash the film to remove the oil, then run through photo flo before drying. Typically no damage is done to the negative, but anytime you wet the film again there is an an increased risk of damage, and the slight residue of the mineral oil probably should be removed.
Risk to negative with drum scanner much greater because of high speed of drum rotation. If the film is not secured well with tape it may break loose and be damaged. I had a sheet of 12X20" film torn up one time like that, made me a lot more cautious with future scans.

If you just wipe the scanner fluid off, only a few minutes. If you re-wash the film to remove scanner fluid residue, film will need to dry again.

I think whole plate negatives can be scanner in the center area.

Not me.

I will buy one Monday

Regardless[/QUOTE]

The main question I have, does it make a difference over dry scans on a V850?

Jim Andrada
24-Apr-2021, 08:57
In my limited (a few hundred scans) experience ...

Basically exactly what Sandy said. I used the Aztek mounting fluid and itxs dry by the time the scan is finished just removr from scanner and back in storage. No dust problem because the mounted film is covered by a thin plastic sheet. Epson high res area is just about whole plate

Tin Can
24-Apr-2021, 10:25
2010 before my time here

Mylar for wet mounting (https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?64027-Mylar-for-wet-mounting&p=603666&viewfull=1#post603666)

I am waiting for supplies

sanking
24-Apr-2021, 13:57
The main question I have, does it make a difference over dry scans on a V850?[/QUOTE]

Alan,

The answer depends greatly on your personal work flow so only you can really answer the question.

But from an absolute point of view, for sure fluid mounting is capable of giving a better scan. Whether or not it matters depends on the size of your original and the size at which you intend to print. Below is an article that goes into this in some detail. The fluid scan may not be "sharper" in terms of resolution, but if done correctly it should have greater micro-contrast and negative defects such as scratches will be minimized. These advantages will be especially noticeable the larger you print and should be apparent at about 5X.

https://www.timlaytonfineart.com/blog/2015/5/wet-mount-scanning-vs-dry-mount-with-epson-v750-scanner

Sandy

Alan Klein
25-Apr-2021, 06:43
The main question I have, does it make a difference over dry scans on a V850?

Alan,

The answer depends greatly on your personal work flow so only you can really answer the question.

But from an absolute point of view, for sure fluid mounting is capable of giving a better scan. Whether or not it matters depends on the size of your original and the size at which you intend to print. Below is an article that goes into this in some detail. The fluid scan may not be "sharper" in terms of resolution, but if done correctly it should have greater micro-contrast and negative defects such as scratches will be minimized. These advantages will be especially noticeable the larger you print and should be apparent at about 5X.

https://www.timlaytonfineart.com/blog/2015/5/wet-mount-scanning-vs-dry-mount-with-epson-v750-scanner

Sandy[/QUOTE]

Nice article thanks. I'll probably continue to scan with my V850 dry since I really don't print much anymore. I would pay for a drum scan if I made a really big print anyway. So for posting on the web and for showing video slide shows on my 75" TV, (4K), the normal dry scan is pretty good. I plan to be making a coffee tabletop photo book. So I don; think its small size would require anything more than my current scan procedure. There's a video on Youtube by one of those photobloggers, that does a comparison as well. I'll look for it and if I find it I'll post the link.

Alan Klein
25-Apr-2021, 06:50
Here's the link for the comparison of scan techniques.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfGKd_AEZtY

Tin Can
28-Apr-2021, 09:20
The official Epson Wet Mount Kit arrived today

B&H was the cheapest delivered price

Looks good to me, even the instructions are simple

They wasted some words warning to align the neg, PS fixes that

I ordered disposables

Thank you Sandy

sanking
28-Apr-2021, 16:48
The official Epson Wet Mount Kit arrived today

The Epson fluid mounting accessory for the V800/850, and V700/750 is well built and easy to use. BTW, the fluid mounting accessory was not available for the V700/750 when this scanner was sold. Back then the only top quality fluid mounting accessory was the Better Scanning kit. I used the Better Scanning fluid mounting holder for many scans with the V700 and was very pleased with the ability to set the scanning height for sharpest results, and for the ability to fluid mount on the reverse side of the scanning glass. But results with the Epson mount are excellent also, as you can see in the video posted by Alan, which is really thorough and in my opinion about the best review you can find on optimizing results with the V700. I sure agree with his recommendations on masking to reduce flare, this can be highly important in getting optimum results with any scanning system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfGKd_AEZtY

Sandy

Jim Andrada
28-Apr-2021, 20:54
Hi Sandy

Did you mean that the mounting station wasn't available for the 750 when it was ORIGINALLY sold? Because when I got my 750 it included the mounting station.

sanking
29-Apr-2021, 07:13
Hi Sandy

Did you mean that the mounting station wasn't available for the 750 when it was ORIGINALLY sold? Because when I got my 750 it included the mounting station.

Hi Jim,

I knew that the V750 and V850 were sold with a fluid mount accessory but did not become aware until many years after purchase of my V700 that the fluid mount accessory could be purchased separately as an add-on part.

Thanks for the clarification.

Sandy

Greg Blank
19-Sep-2021, 10:43
Sandy; Do you know of a good source for drum scanning equipment at this point? Even if the stuff is older yet well supported is good 🖖 & Thanks! Pm is great.

MilamBardo
13-Mar-2023, 10:33
So, rather than start a new thread, does the 850 fluid mount cover a 5x7 negative? (For use on a v700). It's not clear from my reading so far.

Tin Can
13-Mar-2023, 10:41
I use a V700 and bought the NOS Epson wet mount adapter

It easily fits 5X7 and larger but not 8X10

So, rather than start a new thread, does the 850 fluid mount cover a 5x7 negative? (For use on a v700). It's not clear from my reading so far.

MilamBardo
13-Mar-2023, 11:06
I use a V700 and bought the NOS Epson wet mount adapter

It easily fits 5X7 and larger but not 8X10

Ah excellent. Thank you.