PDA

View Full Version : Coastal shooting locations near San Francisco

Ron Marshall
3-Feb-2006, 15:25
I will be in San Francisco in early April and plan to head to the coast south of SF. What are some interesting shooting locations in that area?

Eric Leppanen
3-Feb-2006, 16:04
Robert Hitchman's Photograph America newsletter has several issues covering this area. See:

www.photographamerica.com/issue14.htm (http://www.photographamerica.com/issue14.htm)

www.photographamerica.com/issue17.htm (http://www.photographamerica.com/issue17.htm)

www.photographamerica.com/issue66.htm (http://www.photographamerica.com/issue66.htm)

www.photographamerica.com/issue87.htm (http://www.photographamerica.com/issue87.htm)

www.photographamerica.com/issue92.htm (http://www.photographamerica.com/issue92.htm)

Big Basic Redwood State Park is also interesting. Berry Creek Falls is arguably the most scenic waterfall in the Central California coast, but it's a 12 mile hike to get there, too far for LF in my book!

Ralph Barker
3-Feb-2006, 16:35
In SF, try Baker's Beach for Pacific-side views of the Golden Gate. From there, head south on the coast route, Hwy 1. Interesting areas all the way to Carmel, a couple of hours south (if you don't stop). Although closed for renovation, there's an interesting lighthouse at Pigeon Point, a cute little church in Davenport, all sorts of things in Monterey, and, of course the mission and Point Lobos near Carmel.

Brian Vuillemenot
3-Feb-2006, 17:32
There's all kinds of great locations along the coast. As mentined above, most of them are accessable from Highway 1. There are lots of pull outs, so you can get out of the car and photograph the awesome coastal vistas from cliffs overlooking the beach. Going south from San Fran, there's a nice span of beach about 15 miles south of Half Moon Bay, including San Gregorio, Pescadero, and Bean Hollow state beaches. Farther south, you hit Big Sur, which spans the coast from Carmel to San Simeon. This area contains several state parks, including Garrapata, Pt. Lobos, and Julia Pfeiffer Burns- all highly recommended. If you decide to head north to Marin County, Point Reyes National Seashore has a lot of photographic possibilities. These are just a few off the top of my head. Just look at a map, and you will see how much more there is- the central California coast is one of the world's best destinations for coastal landscapes.

Louie Powell
3-Feb-2006, 17:37
The old coastal fortifications at Marin Headlands (just across the Golden Gate Bridge), and Fort Point (directly under the southern end of the bridge) are interesting. Further north there is Muir Woods.

In San Francisco, Golden Gate Park has some interesting subjects - the Japanese Tea Garden and the Conservatory are favorites. Also, the Legion of Honor Museum is impressive. If you haven't been to Alcatraz, by all means make the trip. There are great picture opportunities, but the experience is very impressive.

Lick Observatory is outside San Jose - be prepared for a long drive on a winding, very narrow mountain road, but it's dramatic at the top. The Water Temple (off I-280) is interesting and relatively unknown. This is the western terminus of the Hetch Hetchy aquaduct that brings water into San Francisco from the Sierra Nevada mountains, and there is a quiet little park and reflecting pool to mark the spot.

Wineries - they make nice photographic subjects too.

Ron Marshall
3-Feb-2006, 17:50
Thanks for all of the responses.

I would like to photograph the Goldengate, but I read that since 911 it is prohibited. Is that correct?

Louie Powell
3-Feb-2006, 18:06
There are lots of urban myths about what can or cannot be photographd after 9/11. As a practical matter, the Golden Gate Bridge is such a dominant feature on the landscape that it woudl be impossible to enforce a ban on photographing it. I've photographed it several times since 9/11.

The best locations are the rest area on the north-bound side just after you leave the bridge, the hills of Marin Headlands, and Baker's Beach. The parking lot at Fort Point is also a possibility - walk over to the chain fence at the edge of the water and shoot upwards. You will be kinda close, so you will probably need a wide lens.

Louie Powell
3-Feb-2006, 18:19
Ron -

Here's link to a Google map that identifies a spot that my wife and I found last summer. There is a pulloff on Conzelman Road about where the name of the road appears on the map that offers a nice view of the bridge - and if you are lucky and the the weather is clear - with San Francisco in the background. This is probably the only spot where you can capture that particular juxtaposition of subjects.

http://www.google.com/lochp?hl=en&q=&ll=37.828633,-122.485821&spn=0.016948,0.030985

And here's the view from this spot http://www.flickr.com/photos/50905069@N00/82197477/

(It was a bit humid the day we were there).

Doug Dolde
3-Feb-2006, 20:08
Bean Hollow State Beach is great.

www.painted-with-light.com/images/site/H3.jpg (http://www.painted-with-light.com/images/site/H3.jpg)

Jeff Conrad
3-Feb-2006, 20:26
<cite> I would like to photograph the Goldengate, but I read that since 911 it is
prohibited. Is that correct?</cite>

This is a myth that refuses to die; no laws have changed, and thousands of
people photograph the bridge every day without hassle. I'll admit that
I've heard a few stories, including a recent one about a city employee who
claimed that neither the Golden Gate Bridge nor the Bay Bridges can be
photographed using a tripod, but this is utter nonsense. Ask such a person
to cite a law and she probably will disappear. In 30 years of
photographing both bridges, no one ever has said a thing to me, so it's not
something I'd worry about.

There are many pullouts on Conzelman Rd. that provide various views of the
bridge with San Francisco in the background. Any of them is a good
location for a sunset view of the city. The opportunities will be quite
obvious if you simply drive up the road. You reach Conzelman Rd. by taking
the first northbound exit from U.S. 101 north of the bridge, turning left
to go under the freeway, and bearing right to get onto Conzelman Rd.

The other suggestions all are good; let me add one. If you do go down the
San Mateo coast, just north of Bean Hollow State Beach is Pebble State
Beach (no relation ...), which has some interesting sandstone tafoni.

Hugh Sakols
3-Feb-2006, 23:00
I just can't get enough of Pt. Lobos State Reserve just south of Carmel.

www.yosemitecollection.com

Dean Cookson
3-Feb-2006, 23:14
The thing I don't get about the "can't photograph the Golden Gate Bridge" rumor is: How would you stop someone? It's a bloody big hunk of steel and you can see it for miles and miles.

Leonard Evens
4-Feb-2006, 10:00
As a one time resident of the Bay Area, who has lived in the midwest for the past 42 years, I would say just point your camera anywhere. ;-)

Ron Marshall
4-Feb-2006, 10:56
Thanks to all of the posters for the helpful feedback. Lots of great suggestions. I'm happy the Golden Gate prohibition is mythical, I've wanted to shoot that for years.

Steve Gilbert
4-Feb-2006, 16:53
Ron, maybe I will run into you on the coast. My buddy and I are also planning a photo trek down the same stretch of coastline sometime during the first week of April. I'm doing 4x5, and he's doing 35mm/digital. Should be fun!

Ron Marshall
4-Feb-2006, 22:54
Steve, I'm going with a friend as well. We hit the coast after five days in Yosemite. We'll be south of San Fran from 15 to 18 April. I'll email you closer to that time and perhaps we can shoot together.

Scott Davis
6-Feb-2006, 08:30
Another great beach spot in San Francisco itself is Lands End beach. To get there you take Geary Boulevard west toward the Pacific. Just before it drops downhill by the Cliff House, you'll see a parking lot on the right. Pull in and park. If they're done with the path maintenance, you can go down to the remains of the old Sutro Baths and walk around. You can get some nice shots of Seal Rock and the surf coming in. Back up at the parking lot, there is a path leading away through the trees at the opposite end from which you entered. Follow this path, which winds along the clifftops, below the Veterans Administration hospital. You'll walk for maybe half a mile or so. On the left, there is a staircase that leads down to the beach at Lands End. The staircase is rather twisty and fairly steep, and there are a few spots where you have to duck a bit to get under some low-hanging tree trunks. You'll emerge onto a very rocky beach, with a bunch of washed up storm debris in the back. There are wonderful distant views of the Golden Gate bridge, and some spectacular cliffs and rocks. If you go very early in the morning, you can get down there while it is still foggy and get the surf surging around the rocks in the fog. There is also the ruin of a WW-II vintage lookout post that has fallen down the side of the hill, and is now covered with brilliantly colorful graffitti.

Baker beach is a good place to photograph the bridge, as it is right at the foot of the bridge on the pacific side. Just a word of warning though - the end of Baker Beach closest to the bridge is the nude section. Bringing your camera there may be at best looked upon with discomfort and suspicion. Not a problem if you go in lousy weather, but if you go in nice sunny weather, you may find the park rangers coming up to you and asking you what you're doing and maybe even to please leave.

Peter Galea
6-Feb-2006, 09:17
When photographing on the coast, NEVER turn your back on the ocean. It is very beautiful, but it is also very powerful, very cold, and unpredictable. Each year several people are swept away and killed by rogue waves or riptides. Others are injured by falling on slippery rocks.
Admire and enjoy, but always be aware, and respect the power of the ocean.