PDA

View Full Version : Citric acid equivalent for acetic acid bath.

Ironage
20-Apr-2021, 03:15
I don’t have any acetic acid and need to mix a equivalent using citric acid which I have on hand. How much citric should I use to replace a 10ml glacial acetic acid to 1000ml water solution? I also had read that vinegar is acetic acid at about 6 percent. Could that be used as a replacement?

chuck461
20-Apr-2021, 03:50
From "The Darkroom Cookbook" 15G Citric Acid to make 1L.
For prints, I use 2TBS per gallon.
For film I use 0G per Liter (plain water)

pau3
20-Apr-2021, 03:53
Anchell's book indicates 15grs/l of citric acid to make a stop bath working solution.
This is what I use. It is not exactly what you're asking for but, looking at the formulation of
acetic acid based stop bath (48ml of 28% acetic acid per liter), it's not too far away.

Tin Can
20-Apr-2021, 05:22
I use a heaping teaspoon of food grade powder citric acid in a 11X14 tray for 8X10 prints

Michael R
20-Apr-2021, 05:59
Plain white vinegar from the supermarket is typically approx. 5% acetic acid. Dilute 1+1 with water for a normal working acetic acid stop bath. Doesn't need to be precise.

I don’t have any acetic acid and need to mix a equivalent using citric acid which I have on hand. How much citric should I use to replace a 10ml glacial acetic acid to 1000ml water solution? I also had read that vinegar is acetic acid at about 6 percent. Could that be used as a replacement?

Ironage
20-Apr-2021, 08:45
You all are a wonderful resource.

Drew Wiley
20-Apr-2021, 09:51
Avoid vinegars with a distinct color which might stain. Should be water white. I prefer only around 1/2% acetic acid, and discard the bath after the daily session. If your stop bath still smells like vinegar, but is not noxious, it's strong enough. All you want is a minor basic pH shift from the alkaline developer itself.

Andrew O'Neill
20-Apr-2021, 10:45
I use vinegar at the school I teach photography, as it's plentiful and cheap. Diluted at "about" 1+1. At home I sometimes use vinegar, but more often use citric acid. One tablespoon per litre.

Mark Sampson
20-Apr-2021, 11:00
Acetic acid (in whatever form) is stinky. I recently started using a citric acid stop bath; my dilutions are approximate, but it's worked fine so far. In addition to that, for several years I've used TF-5 fixer. No more smelly darkroom!

DJG
20-Apr-2021, 13:02
At least with my water, a citric acid stop bath won't last as long stored in a bottle so I tend to use it fairly quickly and then dump.

Tin Can
20-Apr-2021, 14:42
Citric acid food grade powder is so inexpensive

Just try it

Even high price Amazon is $20 for 8 lbs