PDA

View Full Version : Wide angle lens hood?

Old_Dick
6-Apr-2021, 19:05
Hi Folks,

Do I need a wide angle lens hood for a 120mm Lens, 49mm filter on a 4x5?

Thanks
Dick

maltfalc
7-Apr-2021, 06:05
couldn't hurt.

j.e.simmons
7-Apr-2021, 06:24
I use a properly placed dark slide.

Jim Jones
7-Apr-2021, 06:32
Efficient lens hoods were an important accessory in the days of uncoated lenses, but multi-coating has reduced, although sometimes not eliminated, the need for hoods. As suggested in post #3 above, a dark slide can effectively block direct light from the sun from striking the lens.

Tin Can
7-Apr-2021, 06:41
do you assume field work

or studio

maltfalc
7-Apr-2021, 06:57
Efficient lens hoods were an important accessory in the days of uncoated lenses, but multi-coating has reduced, although sometimes not eliminated, the need for hoods. As suggested in post #3 above, a dark slide can effectively block direct light from the sun from striking the lens.lens coatings reduce light reflected off of lens elements onto the image, but they won't do anything to reduce light from the parts of the image circle outside of the film area or reduce the chances of the sun burning a hole in your bellows. even the best coated lens in the world will still benefit from a lens hood. plus plenty of us are still using old lenses.

Conrad . Marvin
7-Apr-2021, 07:53
Whether or not MC the wider angle lenses can have some problems with reflections if a light source is close to the edge of the image. It’s good practice to use Something to block the light. Lens hood, dark slide, body, hand, hat...

Conrad . Marvin
7-Apr-2021, 07:57
Of course if you could use a wider angle lens and include the light source then your MC will work wonders and you could crop out the light in the darkroom and have no reflections next door.

Old_Dick
7-Apr-2021, 09:52
do you assume field work

or studio

Field work. Which I hope will be between sea level and mountains <6288 ft/1.19km .

David Schaller
7-Apr-2021, 10:54
Field work. Which I hope will be between sea level and mountains <6288 ft/1.19km .

Where there are some lovely fields.

Mark Sampson
7-Apr-2021, 11:26
If you mean the commonly available folding rubber lens hoods, yes. They're cheap and compact.
I often use the dark slide to shade the lens when photographing outside, but I have quite a few wide-angle shots with a dark triangle in an upper corner. Oh well!

Vaughn
7-Apr-2021, 13:07
Hoods can come in handy on bright foggy days -- lots of stray light coming in from all angles. It can be more of a problem than with a sunny day when one is usually more aware of possible light sneaking in from a single source. A darkslide is not as efficient in this case. And with cut corners on the GG, one can see if the hood is blocking any of the image.

I once had a pattern for making lens hoods, based on focal length...no idea where it went to.

Delfi_r
9-Apr-2021, 14:55
I have a Lee Wide Angle Hood and I love it. I agree with Vaughn, you must see if it's blocking something in the image. The compendiums are tricky. Making a hood for every lens based on the focal lenght is a great idea.

neil poulsen
9-Apr-2021, 15:21
Which camera?

Old_Dick
9-Apr-2021, 18:39
I have a Zone VI.
Thanks

John Earley
11-Apr-2021, 07:21
Remember that with movements that a normal lens hood may encroach on your image. I only use a lens hood on 4x5 with a large format 400mm telephoto lens since I never use movements on it.

Old_Dick
11-Apr-2021, 18:28
I want to thank everyone for their help. When a person is introducing themself, I always say how smart and helpful this group is, I really mean it.

Eric Woodbury
11-Apr-2021, 18:57
Anybody here use a "French Flag" ? Common in the cinema biz, seems as though it would be good for LF.

https://www.filmtools.com/cameradept/lenses-and-optics/lens-accessories/frenchflagsaks/dinkum-flare-compact.html

John Earley
12-Apr-2021, 07:13
Anybody here use a "French Flag" ? Common in the cinema biz, seems as though it would be good for LF.

https://www.filmtools.com/cameradept/lenses-and-optics/lens-accessories/frenchflagsaks/dinkum-flare-compact.html

I have one but don't use it much because it is inconvenient to carry and a dark slide hand held works just as well without transmitting vibration to the camera.

mpirie
12-Apr-2021, 10:38
Yep, i use a French Flag. The arm is provided by Ebony and you can use either the ground-glass protector or the dark slide.

It attaches to an accessory shoe on either the front or rear standard.

Mike

Drew Wiley
13-Apr-2021, 17:26
Ordinary lens hoods are nearly worthless if you're using a wide-angle lens aimed toward the sun or other bright illumination. You want a fully adjustable shade which you can check the position of on your ground glass itself, especially if your glass has cut corners for sake of that kind of task. Bellows type compendium shades are best. Lee make a nice simple one. Otherwise, improvise just like the previous thread describes. But ability to shade all sides is best - glare sometimes comes from ground level instead of the sky, like snow or polished rock.