PDA

View Full Version : developing techpan for accutance?

anton orlov
2-Feb-2006, 07:06
I have some 8x10 techpan that I would like to develop in BTZS tubes. I have developed it in technidol and rodinal before, but was insatisfied with the grain structure, it just wasn't SHARP. There seems to be plenty of detail, but the edges are soft. Is Pyro better for that or any other developer? Also, would pyro negatives tend to give fingerprints easier then regular developer, I'm worried about that because I have to pull out the negs inbetween the developer and the fix. I can use the dip-and-dunk one gallon tanks, but I like the tubes because they take only 250ml per 8x10 (by the way would that be a problem for pyro?) That's enough of a question though, thanks.

Andrew O'Neill
2-Feb-2006, 08:30
I use BTZS tubes and they are no good if you want to play around with acutance. Use trays, dilute developers, and minimal agitation periods. In the case of techpan, the developer would have to be extemely dilute. You can use your tube for stand development. Just fill the tube to almost the brim with diluted developer, pull film out, invert it, slip it back in, agitate for about a minute and let stand for 30 minutes, agitate again for 10 seconds, and let stand another 30 minutes. You're done. I'm not sure what you will end up with as far as proper exposure and DR, so you will have to experiment. You should end up with wicked acutance, though! I should add that I use pyrocat-HD, extremely diluted.

Bill_1856
2-Feb-2006, 09:37
TechPan developed in DIAZIDE give such sharp negatives that you'll cut your fingers if you're not careful. See the processing suggestions on www.unblinkingeye.com.

Brian Ellis
2-Feb-2006, 10:59
"Also, would pyro negatives tend to give fingerprints easier then regular developer, I'm worried about that because I have to pull out the negs inbetween the developer and the fix."

I've been using the BTZS tubes with 4x5 and 8x10 for about 10 years. I've never had a fingerprint problem. After development I put the tubes, with film still in them, in a pail of stop bath, then after 30 seconds or more in the stop bath I remove the film from the tubes by first loosening it with my thumb, then grasping an edge with my fingers and pulling the sheet out of the tube to put it in a tray of fix. If you do that I don't think you'll have a finger print problem regardless of the developer you use.

anton orlov
3-Jan-2013, 01:16
Thanks for the replies folks, I'm sorry I've been away from the forum for so long. it's a really good community and I wish I was more 'on top of it' to keep up here.

Cheers!

P.S. The Tech-pan is still sitting in the freezer... By golly I need to shoot it someday, but what in the world would I shoot that needs that much sharpness? On the positive note - now I have an 8x10 Durst enlarger :)