PDA

View Full Version : What is my 4x5 area on the glass?

Christianganko
1-Apr-2021, 17:11
New to LF so apologies for the noob question.

Got my 4x5 but I am unsure as to where the 4x5 area is?

There are markings except for a 9x12 (picture attached)

Should i just get a new ground glass with correct markings?

Thank you

Two23
1-Apr-2021, 17:41
If you can see it, it will appear on your 4x5 film.

Kent in SD

Keith Pitman
1-Apr-2021, 17:42
How about the whole groundglass? Try it. Make a film exposure and make a cell phone exposure of your groundglass. Compare. Trying things yourself versus asking questions is part of LF learning.

Two23
1-Apr-2021, 17:50
The ground glass looks to me to be 4 inches by 5 inches. Measure it. If it is that, what you see on your ground glass is exactly what you'll see on your film. Someone must have adapted a 4x5 holder to shoot 9x12cm using this camera. Not an issue.

Kent in SD

Christianganko
1-Apr-2021, 17:52
Ahhhh thank you! I thought maybe but wanted to make sure. Colour film is a bit pricy!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Oren Grad
1-Apr-2021, 18:04
Modern 4 x 5 plastic film holders generally record an actual image area of about 96 x 120 mm. You can check that against the size of your ground glass.

reddesert
1-Apr-2021, 20:21
Your ground glass is fine. The frame against which the ground glass is mounted has the open area of a 4x5 film holder (which is really about 96x120mm as Oren said). The 9x12 box is to help people who use holders for 9x12cm film, which is more common in Europe (this is a Linhof, right?) The holders fit the same camera back but hold different sizes of film.

Christianganko
1-Apr-2021, 21:46
Thanks all

I think the 9x12 lines threw me. Didnt even think to measure. School boy error!

Thank you all!

Vaughn
1-Apr-2021, 22:11
Welcome to LF!

Christianganko
1-Apr-2021, 23:10
Hahah crikey!

Drew Bedo
2-Apr-2021, 05:15
I read the following after I wrote it and it sounds a bit condecending and premptory. What appears below is intended to be direct and voncise . . .and helpful. Again: Welcome to LF. Don't over think this stuff. Go out and shoot. The most important things is HAVE FUN!

"The Ground Glass is Truth"

If you can see it on the GG it will be on the negative.

If it is not seen on the GG it will not be on the film.

Area? If you really need a hard number . . . get out a six inch ruler and measure it.

Cor
6-Apr-2021, 03:16
On my Linhof I have also the 9*12 lines, I actually like keep my composition mostly within these lines when possible. This has do do with the fact that my Durst Laborator L1200 is only in name a 4*5 enlarger; with the standard negative holder you can not print the complete 4*5 inch negative, so I use the 9*12 area as a safe margin.

Good luck with your adventures in LF land,

Best,

Cor

Christianganko
6-Apr-2021, 08:07
Thank you all for the advice and any suggestions.

LF seems to have a lot of parts to it but like anything, reading and practice helps you along.

Thank you

Drew Bedo
6-Apr-2021, 08:59
Low-Tec and lots of moving parts:

Be leave it or not, my intro to LF came in the 1990s through high-tech diagnostic imaging with computer driven nuclear medicine cameras. Every day I would work with this sophisticated gear and capturing images from a CRT on 8x10 film in standard LF film holders. At the same time I inherited a broken Leica III-g and took it to the Houston Camerqa Show to get it fixed. Wound up selling this shoe box of camera parts and got a 4x5 camera. Cut down film from work and ran it throgh the automatic developing machine at work. Later on got a Kodak 2D and shot with that.

Somewhat later, I discovered that the automatic developing gear at work was compatible with Kodak Tri-X emulsions and off I went.

So during the4 week I worked with this high end star-Trek stuff and on weekends shot Nuc med film (or Tri-X) and running it in the dark room on Monday. The point of this post is that I found that I enjoyed working with all the moving parts of LF photography and the liknk through the work flow with the pioneer photographers of the 19th Century

RichardRitter
6-Apr-2021, 09:16
I read the following after I wrote it and it sounds a bit condecending and premptory. What appears below is intended to be direct and voncise . . .and helpful. Again: Welcome to LF. Don't over think this stuff. Go out and shoot. The most important things is HAVE FUN!

"The Ground Glass is Truth"

If you can see it on the GG it will be on the negative.

If it is not seen on the GG it will not be on the film.

Area? If you really need a hard number . . . get out a six inch ruler and measure it.

Right on
The true area of what will show up on the negative is related to the area of the exposed area of the film holder.

Paul Strand used a 5 x 7 camera. He masted off about 3/8 to 1/2 on each side of the 7 inch length of the ground glass, making the image area on the ground glass around 5 x 6 1/?. The area exposed on the film was 5 x 7