PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Synchro-Compur Shutters

htodman
1-Apr-2021, 14:25
I have been away from LF for awhile. My Synchro-Compur shutters stick at lower shutter speeds. Are these guys worth getting repaired? What can I expect to pay?

Thanks.

Todd

BrianShaw
1-Apr-2021, 15:50
You probably don’t technically need a “repair”. Sounds like it needs an overhaul, or what some call “CLA” - clean, lubricate and adjust. That shutter will run like a Swiss watch once it is overhauled. Well worth it. Price... call around but plan on about $150.

Two23
1-Apr-2021, 17:42
Yes, worth it.

Kent in SD

htodman
2-Apr-2021, 05:45
Thanks!

Paul Ron
5-Apr-2021, 12:57
cla... good shutters are becoming harder to replace.

$100 to $175

Tim Deming
7-Apr-2021, 16:25
Also, not to difficult to do yourself if you are “handy”. Lots of info in threads here as well as elsewhere. As long as you dont disassemble more than necessary, it is pretty simple. These shutters are made to be serviced and are quite durable.

htodman
8-Apr-2021, 03:29
Also, not to difficult to do yourself if you are “handy”. Lots of info in threads here as well as elsewhere. As long as you dont disassemble more than necessary, it is pretty simple. These shutters are made to be serviced and are quite durable.

Handy is the key word. What about special tools?

LabRat
8-Apr-2021, 03:34
Synchro Compur are the biggest PIA to keep going, unless it has been serviced by someone good...

Don't try this at home, kids... :-(

Steve K

LabRat
8-Apr-2021, 03:35
Synchro Compur are the biggest PIA to keep going, unless it has been serviced by someone good...

Steve K

Tim Deming
8-Apr-2021, 05:24
Handy is the key word. What about special tools?

A decent set of small precision screwdrivers. Flat head. Compur/compound/syncro compur etc all disassemble from the front ( except those on small format cameras). You basically need to unscrew the front and rear lens assemblies, then remove the screws to take off the front cover plate. If the shutter just needs a cleaning, and possible re-lubing, you likely do not need to disassemble any further. If you have an old shutter with plastic or paper shutter or iris blades, or if the internals are corroded, or if someone has worked on it and messed up the internals, then you probably need to send to a pro. I’ve repaired hundreds of these, 99% of the time you just need to flush out or soak out the old grease/ oil/ gunk (I use hexanes for this), and then add a very small amout of light oil in a few places if needed.

BrianShaw
8-Apr-2021, 07:44

Steve K

Steve K

... and for a third time!

They love to be scrupulously clean and properly lubricated.

paulbarden
8-Apr-2021, 09:07
I have been away from LF for awhile. My Synchro-Compur shutters stick at lower shutter speeds. Are these guys worth getting repaired? What can I expect to pay?

Thanks.

Todd

Can we see which versions of the Compur you have?

Paul Ron
10-Apr-2021, 05:18
which shutter do you have? look through the repair manual and read up on it... you may change your mind once you see what you are getting into...

https://www.scribd.com/doc/44503560/Compur-Shutter-Repair-Manual

Tin Can
10-Apr-2021, 05:22
Lol

Havoc
10-Apr-2021, 06:06
I broke 2 of them already...

htodman
10-Apr-2021, 19:17
I decided to take it to a local repair shop. I'm in New York City so we have several competent options.

BrianShaw
11-Apr-2021, 06:52
Good decision. You won’t regret it.

Jim Noel
11-Apr-2021, 10:09
I wish we had at least one good repairman left in San Diego. My man who grew up in Deckel, Germany passed away several years ago, and I and others sorely miss him.
If you have a good repair shop, use it and keep them in business. You and others will be thankful.