PDA

View Full Version : Compound 4 shutter problem (quirk?)

Arg6442
29-Mar-2021, 14:40
Hi All,

I've recently picked up an old lens in a compound #4 shutter. It's been working pretty well but all of the sudden the release mechanism started giving me problems. When set to M mode, the shutter is triggered as soon as it's cocked (once you release the cocking lever it immediately fires and returns to the uncocked position) and when set to B or T the shutter release lever does not push in to open the shutter leaves. I took the shutter apart and very quickly found the problem, one metal piece had essentially fallen out of place, but I was able to set it right and get it working very quickly. However, about an hour later the same problem happened again. I found the "culprit", which was not pushing the cocking lever all the way down into position. If you allow it to spring back because of this, the piece inside will fall back out of place. With my shaky fingers and general human operation, it seems very very easy to accidentally do this. I'm not sure if this is a design problem or something that can be repaired, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this issue and can help out. I've attached a picture of the part I'm talking about, its not from my shutter but from a youtube video I was following along from as I forgot to take a picture of the guts when I opened it, but the specific part (a pin and metal "mouth" that seats in it) is highlighted. What should I plan on doing before getting the screwdriver back out?

Thanks!