PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions/Recommendations For A Lighter Field 4X5 Camera?

manfrominternet
27-Mar-2021, 14:19
Hi all,

So my current 4x5 is a Linhof Technikardan 45S and it has been serving me well, save for the fact that it's sort of heavy and takes quite a long while for me to set up once I get it out of my camera bag. I can't really work with it in a spontaneous way. Folding it and unfolding it does still take some time for me. Nonetheless, I do love this camera.

That said, I've been thinking about semi-retiring the Technikardan 45S, saving it for solely for studio/architectural work and getting a lighter field camera since landscape photography constitutes 90% of my work.

I wanted to ask you experts, first, if you think relegating my Technikardan 45S to studio/architectural work and getting a dedicated 4x5 field camera for landscape photography is a good idea or really would be just a waste of money since the Technikardan 45S obviously can do landscape photography. (My budget for this is roughly $2K.)

I'm not an expert in field cameras, but from a cursory glance these seem to be well-regarded and are at a comfortable price point (used, of course):
-Linhof Master Technika 2000 (since all my current lens/lens boards would fit it)
-Toyo 45AII (with a Linhof board adapter)
-Horseman 45FA
-Intrepid 4x5 (or possibly some other wooden camera)

Anyway, I hope you guys can give me some good recommendations. Much appreciated!

CatSplat
27-Mar-2021, 14:52
Any of the Chamonix 4x5 offerings should work with your existing lensboard collection and are excellent, lightweight field cameras. The 45F-2 is a great all-rounder (and my personal choice), the 45H-1 has advantages if you tend to shoot wide.

Dugan
27-Mar-2021, 14:53
If you find yourself not going out to take photos because of the "hassle factor" of the Linhof, then by all means you should find a camera that will be more user-friendly in the field.
I have no recommendations, however, I'm using a Burke & James 5x7....

Tin Can
27-Mar-2021, 15:49
Buy a lightly used wood 4X5 that takes Linhof Lens Boards

I prefer VGC Made in Japan

agregov
27-Mar-2021, 19:06
Since you like to shoot architecture, I'd recommend considering one of the Ebony non-folders. There are several models depending on your lens/bellow extension needs. The 45S will allow you to cut nearly half your weight. Who knows, might be the only 45 you need. Note, Ebony is out of business but you can find them in For Sale occasionally or the big auction site.

https://blogantiguo.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/catalog-ebony.pdf

Bernice Loui
27-Mar-2021, 19:36
Which of your current lenses is used most often. This would be the primary consideration as it is possible the camera choices listed could have difficulty with the lenses used most often. From there, alternative camera choices could be made.

Technikardan is listed at 3.5Kg or about 7.7 pounds.

Ligher weight field folder like a Canham DLC, about 4 pounds.

Less weight yes, but with any view camera there are not negotiable trade offs. What it really comes down to is a camera that meets your needs knowing what the trade offs for losing that about 3 pounds would be. In the overall scheme of view camera stuff, 3 pounds is not that much
once the weight of the total system is considered, case, tripod, lenses, film holders, dark cloth, light meter and....
Could that 3 pounds be reduced else where?

Bernice

Hi all,

getting a lighter field camera since landscape photography constitutes 90% of my work.

Vaughn
27-Mar-2021, 21:22
I like the idea of the non-folders, also. No one makes a decent one for 5x7 (very subjective), but you may wish to look at this one:

http://www.shen-hao.com/PRODUCTSabout.aspx?i=949&id=n3

Eric Leppanen
27-Mar-2021, 21:24
From your description and list of cameras researched so far (three of four are very precise, relatively heavy metal field cameras), I'll assume that set-up/ease of use is your primary objective, with reduced weight being nice but secondary.

Non-folding field cameras offer the fastest setup time available and are wide-angle friendly, at a cost of reduced extension and somewhat greater bulk than folding designs. They are also wood cameras and will be less precise and more fiddly than a metal camera. The Chamonix H-1 and HS-1 are currently in production as are a couple Shen Hao models (which appear to be Ebony clones). As already noted Ebony Camera is no longer in business but several non-folding models with varying specs are semi-regularly available on the resale market. The Ebony 45S and its downscaled cousins SW45 and RSW45 have limited extension but are very fast to set-up and tear down. The Ebony 45SU offers more extension and also asymmetric rear movements, but it is heavier and more of an architectural camera and probably overlaps too much with your Technikardan.

In terms of materials technology, the carbon fiber-based Chamonix cameras are arguably the most advanced field cameras in production right now, offering a combination of decent precision and stability with relatively low weight. The Chamonix non-folders require some additional attention when locking down focus, there are threads discussing this on this forum. Also, I'm not sure if the Chamonix has a zero detent for setting up the rear standard. The Ebony cameras are heavier, have detents for most movements, and feature ebony wood and titanium components for increased durability.

The Intrepid is the lightest 4x5 field camera in current production. It is also a non-folder but is more fiddly and less stable than Chamonix and Ebony, as would be expected for its much lower price point. It is really targeted at entry level and ultra light users.

Folding field cameras trade off slower setup with reduced bulk and longer extension. IMHO the Chamonix cameras derived from the Dick Phillips design (45N-1 and 45N-2, 45-F2) offer the best combination of decent extension and precise operation. However, they do require more setup time, one must unfold the rear standard then screw in the front standard to the baseboard, which some folks find objectionable. Other folding field cameras in current production include Canham, Wista, and Shen Hao. Out of production options include Ebony and Tachihara.

rfesk
28-Mar-2021, 06:02
Eric has about covered everything except the old metal press types such as the Technika's, Meridians, Horsemans etc. They are very fast to set up, compact, rugged, have ample movements in the field and can be stored with certain lenses installed. However, they can be almost as heavy as the Technikardan. Only the Linhof takes the Linhof style boards.

CreationBear
28-Mar-2021, 06:40
I like the idea of the non-folders, also. No one makes a decent one for 5x7

Vaughn, have you ever checked out the Walker Titan XL line? They're a bit bellows-challenged like other non-folders, but they've always made a lot of sense to me, especially for us who go yomping through temperate rain forests.:)

Otherwise, to the OP: given that you already have a highly compact and versatile camera in the TK, I might encourage you to borrow/rent some of the other options that have been mentioned and put a stopwatch to both. The reason I mention this is that I have both a Horseman technical camera and a Sinar Norma, and have been surprised to find that with a bit of practice the monorail doesn't take that much more faffing about.

Tin Can
28-Mar-2021, 07:10
I no longer Hike, I stroll short distances

With an unfolded 4X5 folder, mounted lens, any supplies I need

Going to hell with a handbasket is more fun

Mark Sampson
28-Mar-2021, 08:15
It's hard to be spontaneous with any view camera. I've shot a great deal of architecture (professionally and personally) and I've used several different 4x5s, from a featherweight Tachihara to a Sinar Norma. All of them have had to be unfolded and set up once I've found the spot to shoot from. A non-folding camera would be faster for that; of course you'll still have to set up the tripod. And i'll suggest that slowing down and contemplating that non-moving subject before setting up will improve your pictures. That said, the TK45 is a 4x5 that I've lusted after for thirty years, so perhaps I'm just jealous. Best of luck!

CreationBear
28-Mar-2021, 08:38
Just to come at it from a different angle, I'd be curious as to what focal lengths the OP has to use in his architectural work. If he works mostly on the short end, then the Toyo VX125 might be marginally faster than the TK while still maintaining the same capacity for perspective control (e.g. it has 70mm of rise available, IIRC.) Again, the Toyo is a bit bellows limited at 300mm (with the addition of rail extensions) but seems to me to be a bit more "packable" than the TK--the OP might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

Bernice Loui
28-Mar-2021, 08:54
Lihnof TK is not difficult to set up from folded. Set up the camera on tripod, unlock the camera at the base, swing the two standards apart on the telescopic rail into their normal positions, unlock the telescopic rail, position as needed, lock down what is needed after initial setting. Works quite easy and fast for a fold up and compact view camera.

Easier and faster would be the Sinar Norma with a cut down rail with lens on camera. Set up would be remove the camera from it's Pelican case, attach the Norma on the Sinar tripod mount, add at least one rail, pull the two standards into normal working position.

Regardless, the TK is IMO very easy and fast to set up. Bellows are easy to change if needed, and overall good camera for what it is. Majority of metal folders are not that much lower weight than a TK and often more difficult to set up and use depending on the lens focal length needed.

Camera choice is still very dependent on lenses most often used. There is no ideal camera for all VC image making needs.

Bernice

Doremus Scudder
28-Mar-2021, 10:06
Since you have the Technikardan for studio and tougher architectural work, I'd suggest a lightweight, no-frills wooden folding field camera.

Take care to choose on that is actually lightweight; a lot of them are six pounds or more. Get one in the three-four pound range that gives you the movements you want.

I have Wista DX and SW cameras at the moment, the latter with interchangeable bellows, but rather rare. The DX will take lenses from 65mm to 300mm with recessed and extended lensboards respectively and offers lateral shift on one standard (I wouldn't own a camera without shift). It folds up with smaller lenses mounted and takes Technika boards.

There are Shen Hao offerings with similar features. The Chamonix cameras look nice as well (again, look at the features and weight of the different models). There are others as well. I worked with a Horseman Woodman camera for years. A bit limited, but one of the lightest cameras I have used.

In contrast to others, I think a camera that folds up is, in general, better than the non-folding offerings. It's easier to transport, accommodates a greater variety of focal lengths (non-folders usually have limited bellows draw) and less vulnerable to damage.

Couple a lightweight wooden folder with three or four lightweight lenses and you can easily keep your kit down to 15 pounds or even less.

I usually carry a Wista DX, a 90mm f/8 Nikkor SW (on a recessed board), a 135mm Plasmat, a 203mm Ektar and a 300mm Nikkor M (on a top-hat board) with either the 135mm or the 203mm folded up in the camera. Spot meter, six holders, a set of six filters, a tripod and some accessories. Total weight with tripod is 14 pounds. It all goes in a lumbar pack and in pockets; tripod is in my hand or strapped onto the pack.

Hope this helps,

Doremus

Drew Bedo
28-Mar-2021, 11:59
The Wista 45DX is pretty light. I have the Wista-made Zone VI version and its great as a light weight 4x5. Schneider 90mm /6.8 Angulon is nearly weightless. The 127mm lenses from the old Polaroid 110 Pathfinders are also little. Don't have a number for you though.

I have not weighed either of these either, but one of the plastic point snd shoot models might be worth a look: TravelWide and WillTravel come to mind.

Another thought might be a Gowland "Pocket View" if low weight and movements are important . . .if you can find one.

Drew Wiley
28-Mar-2021, 12:10
My full-featured 4X5 is a Sinar Norma monorail, but my lightweight wooden folder for backpacking or airline carry-on is an Ebony. These are no longer made and have gotten quite expensive; but the price was reasonable back when I got mine about thirty years ago. It's probably the best made lightweight folder. But there are numerous other good options. If I had to buy a new one, it would probably be a Chamonix.

George E. Sheils
30-Mar-2021, 16:57
The Walker Titan XL 4x5 is my camera of choice. Very stable, solid as a rock and not too heavy it offers a lot of movement on the front standard while the fixed back standard promotes parallelism especially with wide lenses. I'm delighted with mine and the camera is very slim for a non-folder at around 4 inches. Best decision I ever made was to buy the Walker.

William Whitaker
30-Mar-2021, 19:43
If you want a lighter 4x5, get an 8x10. I guarantee that your 4x5 will instantly become lighter after using the 8x10. And what's more, the 4x5 film holders will become remarkably easy to load!

It's magic!

But seriously and to the point (and as mentioned), a Wista, Tachihara or other of that ilk is a capable camera. Much excellent work has come out of them. My first LF camera was a Wista 45DX way back in 1982. It was a lovely camera.

GRAYnomad
30-Mar-2021, 19:46
The Tachihara weighs 1.7kgs (~3.7lbs).

Two23
30-Mar-2021, 19:48
I've been using a Chamonix 045n for the past 12 years and have felt no urge to "upgrade." It's lighter than my Nikon D850. I use it most weekends and have hiked in the mountains with it and a lightweight carbon tripod. Parts are available as Chamonix is still in production, and there is good follow up service. I went with the "universal bellows" and can use lenses from 75mm to 450mm with it. I bought the carbon fiber extension for it. The camera has held up to Dakota weather very well.

Kent in SD

roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau
31-Mar-2021, 05:10
FWIW, I've gone the other direction. I picked up an ArcaSwiss F Field 4X5 monorail as quicker to set up than a Chamonix 45F2. You have this precision thing covered in your 45S. Weight pick up in a monorail? Yes. But I think that is offset in some regards by the precision of a monorail's "tech" spoils you a bit.

I think a folder is a good complement. And Chamonix cameras are sweet and it is a "plus" to have current production and Hugo Zhang is a great distributor here in the states. Initially I thought I'd replace the folder entirely with the monorail, but now I'm more hesitant to do so until we see more about the relative use. Like you, I shoot a lot of landscape... I think we all do. Fact is that the other day when shooting landscape with a portion of the trail in it... to capture some of my fellow hikers, a camera club friend came up to me with a big smile and said, "Shooting people? Who does that anymore?"

But I'd agree with those that suggest the weight savings may be less than you think. It's there... but the real answer may lie in how you carry the weight, and what you choose to leave at home. Difference between my folder and monorail is 2 pounds. To me, that's not worth the bother UNLESS you've already lightened the rest of the kit to push below 10 to 15 pounds. I'm inside 20... and the trick is how comfortable you can make it, or how close you can park the car. I had a lot of help in suggestions from other LF users here, and from Rod Klukas (ArcaSwiss) to solve that problem. I'd suspect the Linhof dealers could be helpful there, too. And FWIW, divided carry has a lot going for it, and I'm only at the beginning of looking for a cart!

LocalHero1953
1-Apr-2021, 01:37
Hello - new member here! Many years ago I bought a well-used Gandolfi Precision 5x4 (ex-Ealing School of Photography), but since covid struck I have been taking first steps in large format (I am an experienced 35mm photographer). I have taken half a dozen B&W landscapes, developed them myself and digitised them with a 35mm camera, and convinced myself that the camera does what it should and I have the most basic elements of workflow lined up.

I am in two minds about keeping the Gandolfi, which came with its original wooden tripod, and a Dallmeyer lens that is rather hazy (I bought a modern Fujinon for practical use). It is lightweight, which suits me for backpacking and walking or cycling, and it has most of the movements that I might want for rural or urban landscapes (asymmetric rear tilt would be attractive). On the other hand, it might have an antique value that I could trade in, and buy a modern equivalent - I don't want to have to baby it in the field for fear of losing that value.

I'm looking for recommendations for places to buy and sell (I'm in the UK, but willing to look elsewhere - I bought the lens from a Japanese dealer). Obviously there is ebay, and I've come across West Yorkshire Cameras and MrCad. I've inquired of SAS Auctions about selling the Gandolfi. Where else are the good dealers or auctioneers with a range of stock?

Tin Can
1-Apr-2021, 04:18
Welcome

Any used camera may show up anywhere

1-Apr-2021, 05:54
LocalHero: Very active LF community in Brit-land. Check out Andrew Bartram (LFPPodcast), Steve of Chroma, the Intrepid and so many others. There are a bunch of dealers over there you might inquire into help with selling. Fact is, every time I think of it, I get jealous of you guys with all that scenery close by and the film community there as active as it seems to be. Have fun!

esearing
1-Apr-2021, 07:44
+1 for the Chamonix N2. Small compact form when folded, light weight, comes with Fresnel + ground glass, and gear focus for front standard from rear of camera. Accepts lenses from 55mm-500mm. They also have the "F" and "H" lines which might appeal to you.

Also don't overlook the Shen Hao, Nagaoka, and Ikeda Anba folding models. They work well with 75mm-250mm lenses. They are very light weight, use technica lensboards, and fold smaller than the Chamonix. My only dislike is the small knobs on the front standard and the folding method.

Ebony 4x5 is beautiful but rare to find these days.

William Whitaker
1-Apr-2021, 11:35
Hello - new member here! Many years ago I bought a well-used Gandolfi Precision 5x4 (ex-Ealing School of Photography), but since covid struck I have been taking first steps in large format (I am an experienced 35mm photographer). I have taken half a dozen B&W landscapes, developed them myself and digitised them with a 35mm camera, and convinced myself that the camera does what it should and I have the most basic elements of workflow lined up.

I am in two minds about keeping the Gandolfi, which came with its original wooden tripod, and a Dallmeyer lens that is rather hazy (I bought a modern Fujinon for practical use). It is lightweight, which suits me for backpacking and walking or cycling, and it has most of the movements that I might want for rural or urban landscapes (asymmetric rear tilt would be attractive). On the other hand, it might have an antique value that I could trade in, and buy a modern equivalent - I don't want to have to baby it in the field for fear of losing that value.

I'm looking for recommendations for places to buy and sell (I'm in the UK, but willing to look elsewhere - I bought the lens from a Japanese dealer). Obviously there is ebay, and I've come across West Yorkshire Cameras and MrCad. I've inquired of SAS Auctions about selling the Gandolfi. Where else are the good dealers or auctioneers with a range of stock?

Welcome and cheers from a happy Gandolfi user in the States! Mine is a 5x7 (or 7x5, as you wish). It's not the lightest camera I've ever used. But it is a delight. And I am in love with the 5x7 format and it is a worthy tool for that. I hope you'll keep yours and use it to make photographs. How I would delight in photographing the UK! So, I am a bit envious.
If you still wish to sell your camera and after you've been a member for 30 days (I believe that is the requirement), the For-Sale forum herein is a good way to reach interested buyers. Personally, I've had very good results with Ebay. But not all share that experience, so caveat venditor!

Dave Ogle
1-Apr-2021, 12:02
I have a Wista 4x5 and an 8x10 wood field cameras. Both are great cameras. and they take Linhof iv lens boards. I also have Linhof iv. This a plus if you have several cameras

domaz
1-Apr-2021, 12:11
Gowland 4x5s are the lightest and most full-featured by far. You can configure them on a short rail with a wide-angle lens and basically use it as a full-featured walk-about camera. Or you can extend the rails (with hollow aluminum rod from the hardware store) and use a longer lens. Unless you keep them in "ready-to-shoot" mode they can be a pain to setup though, and going from horizontal to vertical also requires some re-jiggering. Basically it's a trade-off but if you want absolute lightest weight the Gowland's are the way to go.

LocalHero1953
1-Apr-2021, 12:27
Thanks for all the advice - all very helpful - and for the welcome!
At the moment, living in one of the flattest parts of the country, and still under travel restrictions, traditional landscape photography is a bit constrained!
I had seen early reviews of the Chroma and wasn't immediately attracted, but the latest model with updates looks interesting. I think I might be disappointed in the Intrepid, based only on reviews. My Gandolfi weighs in at just under 2kg (4.5lb), so a Chroma, Chamonix, ShenHao or similar would be lighter, but perhaps the difference in carrying weight (allowing for lens, tripod etc) would not be noticeable)
I am still on probation, so I haven't seen the For Sale section of the forum - looking forward to it. Any other suggestions for dealers that specialise in large format would be welcome.

mpirie
1-Apr-2021, 12:53
Any other suggestions for dealers that specialise in large format would be welcome.

You could try Ffordes.com up in Beauly (or down in Beauly for me) :-)

WRT the OP, I have a TK45 perfectly complimented with an MT2000.

Downside of the Technika is the limitation on wide angles.....but if you know you'll use wide angles, then take the TK45 !!

I like the precision of the Linhofs, my wooden folder sometimes feels too brittle so i'm afraid to use it in case of damage.

Mike

pgk
2-Apr-2021, 01:42
Ffordes recently sold a Gandolfi via eBay for a reasonable but not high price. You might as well sell directly if this is the case. I've watched various auctions of Gandolfis, and eBay, and prices vary, significantly. Personally I'd use the Gandolfi - if its survived student use you probably can't change its cosmetics much more, and it will probably appeal to an ex-student come what may (I've seen just one Ealing Gandolfi sell, and for more than I expected). Such provenance will probably increase its value for such potential buyers despite cosmetics. If you want to sell though, the classifieds here might be a good place - I helped a friend sell his (immaculate) Gandolfi through these although it was exceptional as he had ordered it himself and then owned it from new having hardly ever used it as he had another!

LocalHero1953
2-Apr-2021, 04:20
Ffordes recently sold a Gandolfi via eBay for a reasonable but not high price. You might as well sell directly if this is the case. I've watched various auctions of Gandolfis, and eBay, and prices vary, significantly. Personally I'd use the Gandolfi - if its survived student use you probably can't change its cosmetics much more, and it will probably appeal to an ex-student come what may (I've seen just one Ealing Gandolfi sell, and for more than I expected). Such provenance will probably increase its value for such potential buyers despite cosmetics. If you want to sell though, the classifieds here might be a good place - I helped a friend sell his (immaculate) Gandolfi through these although it was exceptional as he had ordered it himself and then owned it from new having hardly ever used it as he had another!

Thank you, Paul. As I said, I am in two minds - the romantic in me likes the Gandolfi, while the practical tells me that by selling it I could get a Chroma that is equally or more functional, perhaps with something left over for another lens!
I shall at least wait till I can see the classifieds here.
Can you tell me what the Gandolfis that you saw sold for? PM me if you wish.

2-Apr-2021, 06:15
Just saw this on Freestyle's website - Gibellini's new 3D printed 4X5... $599 - which looks to be strong competition for the Interepid / Chroma crowd. https://www.freestylephoto.biz/392043-Gibellini-PROXIMA-45-4x5-View-Camera-Black-Red

Alan Klein
2-Apr-2021, 08:01
Isn't Ebony made in Great Britain? Wouldn't the pricing be less than imports?

LocalHero1953
2-Apr-2021, 09:09
Isn't Ebony made in Great Britain? Wouldn't the pricing be less than imports?

Ebony is no longer made, but were Japanese. They still look pricy s/h:(

Bernice Loui
2-Apr-2021, 09:37
One of the user perks of using a Technika is precision, accuracy and stability. These are the aspects of the Technika that make it very nice to use and durable. They remain box folder cameras with specific limitations. Linhof designed the TK to over come these limitations of a box based field folder while keeping the physical constraints similar as possible to their or any box form field folder camera.

Wood folders of any variety are just not my thing after owning-using several of them. Tolerance for their limitations (bellows, camera extension, wide angle lens compatibility, and...) and lack of precision remains not agreeable.

Reality is for most field-outdoor made LF images, generally they are not as demanding of camera movements compared to studio table top, architectural or similar LF images. This reality can distort the preferences and perception of what IS a good camera. Similar applies to lens focal length used, images made and all that. As mentioned many, many, many times previous there is NO ideal camera to meet ALL view camera needs only specific trade-offs based on what LF lenses are to be used, print image goals and all related to the print. Skill level, ability of the image maker and personal preferences also figure into this..

IMO, to put weight as the primary factor for camera choice is a mistake that will appear over usage and demands placed on the camera in question. Essentially lowest weight camera can be a short term gain with long term difficulties and regrets.

Also previously mentioned, two pounds lower weight camera could be reduced else where in the overall image making kit.

Bernice

You could try Ffordes.com up in Beauly (or down in Beauly for me) :-)

WRT the OP, I have a TK45 perfectly complimented with an MT2000.

Downside of the Technika is the limitation on wide angles.....but if you know you'll use wide angles, then take the TK45 !!

I like the precision of the Linhofs, my wooden folder sometimes feels too brittle so i'm afraid to use it in case of damage.

Mike

Alan Klein
2-Apr-2021, 15:40
I was thinking of the Intrepid in Great Britain as a light camera and inexpensive. Here's a comparison of it and other 4x5's for the field by Alex Burke.
https://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/2018/2/13/choosing-a-4x5-camera-and-lenses

Drew Bedo
2-Apr-2021, 16:38
IMO, to put weight as the primary factor for camera choice is a mistake that will appear over usage and demands placed on the camera in question. Essentially lowest weight camera can be a short term gain with long term difficulties and regrets.

.Bernice

I can't argue with any of your points regarding the durability and rigidity ertc of heavier cameras.

Yet at age 70 and with one hip replacement and the other scheduled for April, weight is a major concern when packing my 4x5 kit. I don't even cary it around much, rather dragging it around on a set of luggage wheels

Michael Roberts
2-Apr-2021, 18:06
Ikeda Anba or Nagaoka.

Drew Wiley
2-Apr-2021, 18:40
I'm recovering from 3 past months of miserable shoulder bursitis. Two days ago I picked up my commercial 4-cycle trimmer for the first time this season, and dealt with the back yard foliage, and finally today I put on the backpack with the Sinar Norma system in it, and did at least a brief steep uphill and downhill session for sake of a good shot. I'll increase the distance next week. I'd already been doing fairly long walks with MF gear, and if I could have packed the Ebony folder instead; but the whole point is to get back into shape with heavier and heavier packs. Backpacking season is coming.

Convenience-wise, and versatility-wise, the monorail system wins hands-down. But within its own bellows extension range, the little Ebony is capable of every bit as precise shots. I'd rather have either of these cameras than a Technika, and obviously did make that choice. My brother used a Technika, and it's a stunning piece of manufacturing; but it has neither the long lens capability of my Sinar, nor the light weight and compactness of my little Ebony, both of which balance on a tripod way better than a Technika, so there's a substantial weight saving there too. That's what one needs to consider - cumulative weight, and not just camera weight per se.

Dave Ogle
4-Apr-2021, 10:33
I hear you on the age factor, I'm over 70. photograph close to the road now. I do have a "light weight basic set up" a Wista, 135mm caltar II, 4 or 5 filters, light weight dark cloth, meter, couple of film holders and a few odds and ends in a fanny pack. camera goes in a small shoulder bag, hand carry tripod and maybe my cane in the other hand. But hey, I'm still out there.

Vaughn
4-Apr-2021, 11:10
...Also previously mentioned, two pounds lower weight camera could be reduced else where in the overall image making kit. Bernice
Except if one is carrying the camera on the tripod in hand, with a shoulder bag for the meter and holders. A couple pounds of camera weight become important...speaking from much experience. Although my 4x5 (rail camera) weighs 2.5 pounds (w/ lens), so it would be difficult to find something lighter.

Paul Ron
4-Apr-2021, 11:48
go wood!

Corran
4-Apr-2021, 12:14
Intrepid MK4 - lightest weight, but least precision, and no good for lenses shorter than 72mm and even that's a stretch. The 3D-printed one is excellent and I have enjoyed using it.

Chamonix 4x5 N or F models - almost as light but more precision and flexibility.

I wouldn't consider anything else. Unless you have specific use-cases that demand certain things.

Sorry I know I'm late to the party but I've used most of the field cameras in the low weight class and I thought I'd give my 2c.

manfrominternet
5-Apr-2021, 01:14
Wow. Everyone here brought up terrific points and recommendations. I really like the Chamonix, Shen Hao, Tachihara, and Walker offerings. That Chamonix 45F-2 certainly looks like a winner.

In retrospect, however, I think Bernice and some other commenters brought up a good point that actually helped me put things in perspective. I actually think I can save 3-5 pounds by just offloading some things from my camera bag. I'm one of those borderline OCD people who feels, for whatever illogical reason, that I should bring all the lenses that'll fit inside said bag, from my 65mm Nikkon-SW to my 300mm Nikon-M. That's 5 lenses. Not to mention the 6x17 and 6x12 panoramic backs that I bring along in a separate bag.

I love my TK45S. It's a great camera. I do wish it was a bit lighter, but I really shouldn't complain as it has served me well. While it would be amazing to have any of the lighter cameras that were mentioned in this thread, I think I'll save a bit of $$$ and get some more film instead for now. Nonetheless, I will definitely revisit all the cameras mentioned.

Bernice Loui
5-Apr-2021, 10:54
Suggestion, completely un-load the camera bag. Put only the TK, one lens-most often used, film holders and only what is needed to make images. Take this greatly reduced outfit for a photo outing to see what images can be made with one lens focal length.

Process the images, spend time with them.. then ask the question, how much stuff is really needed and why?

This is an exercise to let go of what is perceived as "security blanket" items. They can be anything from lenses, to roll film backs, filters and...
It is good to be prepared for most any image to be made that comes up, but there is a cost to dragging around stuff that will never be used.

Bernice

I actually think I can save 3-5 pounds by just offloading some things from my camera bag. I'm one of those borderline OCD people who feels, for whatever illogical reason, that I should bring all the lenses that'll fit inside said bag, from my 65mm Nikkon-SW to my 300mm Nikon-M. That's 5 lenses. Not to mention the 6x17 and 6x12 panoramic backs that I bring along in a separate bag.

I love my TK45S. It's a great camera. I do wish it was a bit lighter, but I really shouldn't complain as it has served me well.

Drew Bedo
7-Apr-2021, 05:43
Ok, and now a smart-@$$ suggestion made in fun . . .

Before doing what Bernice suggests (and she has a great idea). . . . .

Binge-watch one of the "Herders" TV shows one weekend.

THEN do what she suggests.

Tin Can
7-Apr-2021, 06:10
My 4x5 holder bag holds 10, way too many for me

The 5X7 bag holds 5, still too many

I prefer carrying 2, meaning 4 negs

but my DR process is optimized for 8- 5x7 films or plates, so some wait a bit

I only carry one lens on/in the camera, maybe a filter, maybe a lens hood

go light and see more