PDA

View Full Version : How are Camera Bellows UK bellows holding up over time???

LabRat
24-Mar-2021, 20:25
Hi,
Researching new bellows for my Tek III, any users have old replacement Camera Bellows UK bellows on their camera for an extended time, and how are they holding up now??? (No drying up, sticky, smell, pinholes etc???) Any Linhof Tek replacement bellows users here??? How did they fit/flex/close with the camera???

Any good/bad experiences with the Chinese or Japanese bellows makers???

Thanks,

Steve K

mpirie
25-Mar-2021, 01:09
I've had their bellows on both my Technika 2000 and my TK45 for around 11 years now and they are still like new. They flex and fold just as well as the originals and i believe they may have actually made the originals for Linhof.

No experience with the auction site versions, so if you're thinking of reaching out to Custom Bellows, do it.....they keep stock of Technika and Technikardan bellows so there'll be a quick turnaround.

Mike

RichardRitter
25-Mar-2021, 04:15
E mailed then last week. They are up and running. The only delays is shipping to and from.

Tobias Key
25-Mar-2021, 06:21
The bellows I got for my Wista 45DX were identical to the originals so I assume they must make bellows for Wista (they were also a stock item). Only had them 6 months but they are definitely better than Chinese bellows that I have had on other cameras and not really that much more expensive.

Daniel Unkefer
25-Mar-2021, 06:39
They made the original bellows during the Sinar Norma era and they still have the original patterns. I've had them make two 4x5 tapered original Norma bellows, and a custom special bellows from 8x10 to 5x7, the original I have only ever seen in completely utterly trashed condition. This was a stock catalog item and it was no problem for Keith to make one up. He did comment that it seemed kinda short but it's exactly what I wanted.

I've been buying tattered Norma bellows recently to get the original frames in 5x7 and 4x5. Keith then sends back new Norma bellows on the original frames. I do want him also to build a double length 4x5 to 5x7 Norma bellows. That is not in the original catalog.

John Layton
25-Mar-2021, 09:28
Have not ordered from them for awhile (still have 25 4x5 bellows from my stalled production run) - but they are truly first rate!

Lightweight yet sturdy...wonderful compressibility plus good maintenance of lateral movements at relatively short extensions.

Plus...when Mike Colette (Better Light Scanning Backs) was still with us (RIP), he ran an I.R. test on these bellows (on one of my L-45A cameras), and found them to be "I.R. Proof," very important for certain applications.

jim_jm
25-Mar-2021, 10:24
Just ordered a new bellows for my 8x10 Deardorff from Keith. Sent him the frames and he emailed me that the new bellows was fitted and ready to ship, less than a week after he received it. Said he's made hundreds of bellows for these Deardorffs, so I'm pretty confident I'll be happy with it.

LabRat
26-Mar-2021, 14:23
Well, I did it!!! Pulled the trigger and ordered from Camera Bellows UK!!! Keith got back to me first thing in the UK morning, and had a set in stock, and within 10 minutes, had item packed and invoiced ready for my payment...

Item cost less than I expected, and my fear of a difficult birthing process was not to be, and surprised how easy it could be...

Thanking all the posters for helping me make an informed (difficult) decision, and feel great getting the best for my 70ish yr old camera (I had for 35 years) with something I won't have to worry about...

Oh man, I'm jazzed!!!

Thanks again, and good light to you!!!

Steve K

mpirie
28-Mar-2021, 05:07
Good to hear Steve....you won't be disappointed!

Mike

LabRat
28-Mar-2021, 13:29
Good to hear Steve....you won't be disappointed!

Mike

Thanks!!! I didn't ever think this camera would ever have a new bellows... When I got the camera, it needed new bellows so I called (then) Western Bellows (in my part of the world), and was told that they were "specialty" bellows, thinner and would cost $375... The first thing I did was grab a roll of black artist's tape and patched up the old ones... (The tape held up for 35 years!!! Downside was the tape made bellows thicker, and to close camera, had to leave rear standard extended while transporting... Learned to live with closed camera being 1 1/4" thicker... OK, but was shooting recently with a 90mm SA, and saw I could get a little more wiggle movements with new (shorter) bellows, and noticed inside they were starting to smell musty... Long overdue...

Thinking now with new bellows, I will be hit by lightning... :-(

Steve K

Robert Opheim
28-Mar-2021, 18:03
I have had one of their standard bellows for my Technikardan for somewhere around 20 years. I sent the old bellows in with the frames attached. The replacement bellows still looks new.

jim_jm
4-Apr-2021, 13:39
Got the new bellows back from Camera Bellows UK, less than 3 weeks after I sent in the frames. They installed the bellows on the frames for me and did a perfect job.
Everything fit back together without a hitch and the restoration is complete.

Daniel Unkefer
4-Apr-2021, 14:54
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51001096964_48851c127d_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kGMXh1)Fastest Speed of All Sinar Norma Pair 240 Symmars 1 (https://flic.kr/p/2kGMXh1) by Nokton48 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/), on Flickr

Keith at Camera Bellows recently made these two Sinar Norma Bellows for my TLR Sinar Norma. They made bellows for Sinar during the Norma era and still have the original patterns. How can you beat that? I have a couple more projects coming up when I receive the original Norma frames

Ron (Netherlands)
8-Apr-2021, 06:57
(...) Camera Bellows recently made these two Sinar Norma Bellows for my TLR Sinar Norma. They made bellows for Sinar during the Norma era and still have the original patterns. (...)

The title of this thread says: How are Camera Bellows UK bellows holding up over time???
So are you saying that the original bellows made by the same manufacturer didn't hold up very well...

Tin Can
8-Apr-2021, 07:48
My ULF Camera Bellows UK, 4 years old, still in shipping box are just fine

I have extended them 4 times to check

Most commercial bellows last very long, if carefully stored separately inside a fold up box like a Cycle Camera

My Sinar/Horsemen bellows are stored out of light in ZipLock

My LEVY/Repro-Art Copy Camera has very thick leather unlike any bellows I have seen, I even tell people to touch them. They are more like armor, that thumps like drum, but fold perfectly

Daniel Unkefer
8-Apr-2021, 08:06
The title of this thread says: How are Camera Bellows UK bellows holding up over time???
So are you saying that the original bellows made by the same manufacturer didn't hold up very well...

Well the bellows I'm looking for are nearly sixty years old. In this thread lots of people have needed replacement bellows. That's not unusual? I do buy tatty bellows for little (for the frames) and have the bellows replaced. My new ones are holding up very well as one would expect. And I do have many original Sinar bellows that are original and in fine shape.

Some of these were worked a hard life and put away wet :)

LabRat
8-Apr-2021, 09:29
My bellows arrived yesterday, so quickly from consideration to arrival!!! My concern about the compression closed in camera is no issue due to the thinness they can collapse to (old bellows much thicker)... Great quality that seems it should last a very long time...

Next step is making final decisions to install... Old glue on camera is a black rubbery glue from back then which held up great, so wanted something similar... Bought a tube of black Shoe Goo to test first... Want to see if it set-up in a reasonable time, and if it needs to be clamped down for the duration of the set time to the rear metal plate... And of course, the measurement check before removal of old bells (should be fine)...

A few other foto service projects underway right now, so too much to think about, so trying to get everything in a line...

But I love the new bellows, and thank everyone who goaded me toward them... Thanks!!!

Steve K

sharktooth
8-Apr-2021, 09:58
I wouldn't use Shoe Goo. That's nasty stuff that really smells, and could potentially damage the bellows. Why not use a good quality contact cement? Contact cement seems to be the preferred choice that I've read about, and used with success.

Even better, why not contact Camera Bellows to see what they recommend.

Tin Can
8-Apr-2021, 10:17
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?102287-Glue-For-Bellows&p=1014305&viewfull=1#post1014305

LabRat
8-Apr-2021, 10:30
I wouldn't use Shoe Goo. That's nasty stuff that really smells, and could potentially damage the bellows. Why not use a good quality contact cement? Contact cement seems to be the preferred choice that I've read about, and used with success.

Even better, why not contact Camera Bellows to see what they recommend.

I did use it once for a Beseler enlarger bellows to metal restoration 10 or 12 years ago (I think), and it worked well after letting it sit on the metal for 4 hours, then attaching... But that was then, and this is now, so I have to test again before installation... Says it is safe on vinyl, but good point... I remember consistency was similar to old cement, but need to test again...

Camera Bellows recommends a British product, not availible in USA, so have to test different cements...

I don't want to use contact cements, as there is little to no "wiggle" room after inital contact... On the other end of the scale, silicone can take days or week to dry, and a lot can happen before that...

Testing, testing, testing...

Thanks!!!

Steve K

sharktooth
8-Apr-2021, 10:46
I've replaced 3 Technika bellows and a Fuji 645 bellows over the last few years. I used contact cement with no issues. Contact cements sets quickly, but it usually can also be removed without causing damage. I had to remove a new bellows I had just installed in one camera to put in another camera that I needed to use. This all went smoothly without problems, since the contact cement allows removal. This is why contact cement is always used for camera leather coverings. It holds well, but can be removed later without causing damage.

Sean Mac
8-Apr-2021, 12:13
I have been hesitant to use glue so far, as my Technika is still in the test phase.

:)

Kent Phelan
9-Jun-2021, 16:19
Jim, I am interested in your V8 bellows replacement project. I have the same camera, and am interested in new bellows. You say you sent Keith the frames. What does this mean? Did you physically detach the front+rear standards and send in the whole kit w/bellows still intact? I admire his work, but I am not equipped to attach new bellows to an 8x10 Deardorff.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
9-Jun-2021, 20:28
Good by me. I have been using a set of 5x7 Norma bellows they made in November 2012 hard and often, and have not seen any changes.

martiansea
10-Jun-2021, 09:14
I just got a new bellows from them for my Seneca Improved View 8x10, and the quality seems excellent. Considerably thinner construction than the original; I was able to add a couple inches to the working extension and it still folds up tightly no problem. I'm actually now wishing I had not been so conservative and added even more length, because I'm certain it would have fit. Bravo to Keith and crew.

jim_jm
10-Jun-2021, 12:24
The bellows frames are just attached to the inside of the rear standard with screws (12) which are obvious around the outside of the standard, and to the front standard with screws (8) which are accessible from inside the bellows. Very easy to remove with an appropriately-sized screwdriver and the frames will come right out with the bellows attached. No need to send in the front or rear standards. The bellows material is stapled and glued to the wood frames, and Keith did an excellent job of attaching the new bellows.
I marked the rear frame to indicate top/bottom and the installation back into the standards went perfectly. All the screw holes lined up exactly.
Here's a shot of the camera after I sent the old bellows in, just before starting the restoration:

LocalHero1953
10-Jun-2021, 13:29
I have ordered replacement bellows for my Gandolfi. I sent the measurements as specified on the website. I suspect my current bellows are not original - they look a poor match and not precisely aligned on the standards - Keith says Camera Bellows made the original Gandolfi bellows, so the new ones should fit. Given a choice of colour I've gone for green.

I asked about glue - he said they use Evostik - so just a contact adhesive.

Conrad . Marvin
10-Jun-2021, 16:40
Let us know how the bellows come out. I had Keith replace my Ebony bellows a few years ago and they are excellent. He also told me that they did the Gandolfi bellows for my 5x7 (1995) so I may change the bellows out sometime soon.

LocalHero1953
13-Jun-2021, 06:10
Who's a pretty boy then?
New bellows, arrived and glued yesterday, first stretch today.
No problems with quality, colour and fit.
No disasters with the fitting: there's a good wide surface to glue to. The front end of the bellows has a fair amount of surplus material which, with hindsight, I might have folded in and glued to the inner surface of the frame for added strength, but I just cut it off with a scalpel. No such surplus at the rear.
There's a risk of spreading the glue to wide on the bellows; it's difficult to see or mark just how far to go. In the end the only excess was on the front at the bottom, where it is out of sight. Because of the nature of converging bellows while clamped, there's a risk that surplus glue will attach itself to the next larger folds on the outside at the front, or the next smaller folds on the inside at the back. With careful use of a blunt knife I periodically released the bellows from the clamp and separated the. Again, with hindsight, I could have cut some strips of (e.g.) polythene (or glassine?) to insert between the vulnerable pleats. But it was all fine in the end.