Tin Can
20-Mar-2021, 14:43
Found this on Pinterest

I don't know how to copy to here, so this is owner's website from 11 years ago

http://andrewjohnmilne.com/project/apparatus-2/#prettyPhoto

I know I can do that!

GRAYnomad
20-Mar-2021, 17:12
I have access to a 2500mm Boyer lens, the bloke wants to sell it but no matter how I word things the post gets knocked back on this forum.

That said I thought maybe I should just buy it myself as it might be good for such a camera obscura. But I would make it from a small (6x4' I guess) pan trailer and drive it around the countryside looking for something to point it at.

Something I've meant to do for years, long before this lens poppped up, and realistically a pinhole would do almost as well.

Here's a pic of it from that link.

Tin Can
21-Mar-2021, 13:55
Just buy it, I think you know what to do with it

I am definitely not a Civil War reenactor but did read up today, Civil War Howitzers and it struck me how they took them apart and moved them with mules could be applied to my needs, sorta

I have a camera cart for E-bicycle, but...it's a high theft toy that cannot haul what I want

I also volunteer as Docent close to home at a 1818 Historical Village and told them Friday I want to use old cameras at our events. I have already done this twice

My new idea is a long handle big wheel cart this old man could slide out of my 8' pickup bed and get it back in myself or use a winch. I have 2

Leverage

Still doodling

GRAYnomad
21-Mar-2021, 14:34
This is the lens

http://www.robgray.com/temp/Boyer_5169.jpg

It's EIGHT INCHES across :D

Projects a 1m circle I'm told, 2500mm focal length so presumably that's at approx 2.5m back from the lens, I doubt that it's a tele.

Mounted in a box the size of a trailer it might work, then drive around the district looking for something I can point it at. Maybe using 30x30" paper as a neg.

I'm only dreaming, I don't even have a darkroom these days and not sure I want one again anyway. But it would be soooo cool.

John Layton
21-Mar-2021, 14:46
Wet Plate?

Tin Can
21-Mar-2021, 14:58
How fast is it?

F stop?

Tin Can
21-Mar-2021, 15:05
I now use a Jena 900mm f 9 on my Deardorff 11X14 Studio camera

I have posted about often

GRAYnomad
21-Mar-2021, 19:47
How fast is it?

F stop?

Don't know, it's about 200 wide so 2500/200 = 12.5, maybe f12.5 ish.

GRAYnomad
23-Mar-2021, 04:30
It seems I was bang on.

EB adds that the 2500/12.5 Apo Saphir “ was built for the military. It was used, among other purposes, for filming nuclear tests (whence the front cover) and one is (was ?) used for wide field photography at the Meudon astronomical observatory. This should give those acquainted with astronomers’ demands for quality an idea of how well corrected the lenses are.”

Drew Bedo
16-Apr-2021, 07:21
So if wet plate: Coat and process while you are actually inside the camera body?

That could be made to work if the camera-built-into-trailer concept is used.

Back into scenic overlooks and shoot at fixed infinity. Panoramic formats might be easier to physically handle the glass plate; smaller yet still "big".

Tin Can
16-Apr-2021, 09:20
Drew,

Wet plate all done in a tiny tent may be a bad idea

Not my plan

Right now looking at gear for 14X36" contact prints

Which requires complete special kit of all things

Remember the last guy to do it?

The film/paper are still available

I have hand processed 20 sheets of 14X36"

Glass for the contact frame is not that expensive delivered

Thinking about a handcart, that can roll into my pickup....a covered wagon...

Ultra Ultra Large Format Camera (https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?69658-Ultra-Ultra-Large-Format-Camera&p=657794&viewfull=1#post657794)

Drew Bedo
18-Apr-2021, 05:12
TC: sounds like you have a plan. . .go for it!

Little tent and wet plates . . .actually, I was thinking of the camera-in-a-trailer concept, where the interior of the camera was a room sized space

Tin Can
18-Apr-2021, 06:47
I may be selling my Darkroom Trailer as camper locally

I ventilate it with a metal rooftop RV fan

and was going to make a light trap for that, I have dark slides for the side window screens

but trailers like mine are in high demand NOW

TC: sounds like you have a plan. . .go for it!

Little tent and wet plates . . .actually, I was thinking of the camera-in-a-trailer concept, where the interior of the camera was a room sized space