PDA

View Full Version : Are Daguerreotype Included in Wet Plate Threads

Tin Can
18-Mar-2021, 07:37
A few questions

If not, where do they belong?

Many were NOT LF so they must go to where?

May as well add smaller than 4X5 WET Plates to this question

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
18-Mar-2021, 09:03
Probably not, unless it is renamed "19th century processes" or something like that. Technically they have very little overlap, and the skills and equipment needed are quite different.

I don't know how many active daguerreotypists there are on this forum... there certainly are not too many in the world. The Contemporary Daguerreotypes Forum (http://www.cdags.org/) has not been very active for the past few years.

goamules
19-Mar-2021, 09:01
They're not wetplates any more than a polaroid is 35mm slide film.

For every 100,000 digital photographers there is 1 wetplater. For every 3 million there is a daguerrotype photographer. Creating a new area would be an empty repository needing content. Flickr has plenty of groups where you can just upload any dags you find, collect, etc.

Tin Can
19-Mar-2021, 09:41
Ok, just wondering

So I figure about 100 world wide

From 3.8 Billion smartphone users as they all have cameras

Any Daguerreotype practitioners here?

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
19-Mar-2021, 09:48
Me.
Your estimate seems correct, about 100 active Daguerreotypists worldwide, and perhaps 30 times that who took a workshop.

cowanw
19-Mar-2021, 10:33
Although there are likely lots of people who admire, collect and could discuss Daguerreotypes.

Monty McCutchen
19-Mar-2021, 11:39
Jason is too kind/humble to say it, but he is an unbelievable Daguerreotypist. A talented photographer who doesn’t get talked about enough.

Monty

Drew Bedo
19-Mar-2021, 12:55
I took a Dag workshop back in the early 2Ks led by Jerry Spagnoli.. He was great and it was fun, but I couldn't really discern the feint color tint of a properly coated plate.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
19-Mar-2021, 14:55
Thanks Monty. Did I give you the Daguerreotype I made of you? If not I should.

Monty McCutchen
19-Mar-2021, 18:43
That’s how I know how great you are—you made me look presentable in polite company! Hope you and yours are well. I miss getting up to the great northwest!

Monty

goamules
30-Mar-2021, 18:42
I did want to learn it. Just havent.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
30-Mar-2021, 18:54
Jerry Spagnoli and Mike Robinson teach, and there may be others. Jerry teaches the Becquerel method (iodine only, with orange or red light to develop), Mike teaches mercury development. I stopped teaching a few years back.

maltfalc
5-May-2021, 10:39
I took a Dag workshop back in the early 2Ks led by Jerry Spagnoli.. He was great and it was fun, but I couldn't really discern the feint color tint of a properly coated plate. easiest way is to have a dim white light at the opposite end of your darkroom and hold the plate so you can see the white light and it's reflection next to each other.

Drew Wiley
6-May-2021, 17:33
Ask the Mad Hatter, .... It's a "mercurial" craft.