PDA

View Full Version : New to this and saw this in my first lens?

Moman
10-Mar-2021, 12:16
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what this? Is seperation or?

Thank you

Dugan
10-Mar-2021, 12:19
Are you referring to the white specks, or the rainbow?

paulbarden
10-Mar-2021, 12:52
Did this discussion not answer your question?: https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/rodenstock-150mm-is-this-dust-or-the-dreaded.182420/

diversey
10-Mar-2021, 12:56
Or that small semi-circle next to the edge around 6 O'clock?

jim_jm
10-Mar-2021, 13:08
Those 3 dots are nothing to be worried about. Even if it is schneideritis, it's going to take years or decades to advance, if it does at all.
Will have zero effect on your images, even if they were in the center of the lens. Every used lens has some sort of flaws, of which most will not be visible in your photos.
It's more critical that the lens coating is in good condition, which your appears to be.
The only way to guarantee a pristine lens is to buy one new with a satisfaction guarantee, and keep returning lenses until you find a perfect one.

Bernice Loui
10-Mar-2021, 13:21
Not schneideritis...

The spot about 6 O'clock appears to be de-cementing or separation of the lens elements.

The greenish-purple reflection about 10 to 2 O'clock is from the multicoating, normal. If there is separation or de-cementing behind that reflection it cannot be visible due to that reflection.

Better images will help sort this out.

Bernice

Moman
10-Mar-2021, 14:08
Not schneideritis...

The spot about 6 O'clock appears to be de-cementing or separation of the lens elements.

The greenish-purple reflection about 10 to 2 O'clock is from the multicoating, normal. If there is separation or de-cementing behind that reflection it cannot be visible due to that reflection.

Better images will help sort this out.

Bernice

I can take more if these arent good enough. Let me know from what angel.

Moman
10-Mar-2021, 14:11
Are you referring to the white specks, or the rainbow?

The specks, the rainbow is probably because of the photo. It looks more saturated than in real life.

Moman
10-Mar-2021, 14:34
I can take more if these arent good enough. Let me know from what angel.

Two other photos here with the blades open.

Moman
10-Mar-2021, 14:38
Those 3 dots are nothing to be worried about. Even if it is schneideritis, it's going to take years or decades to advance, if it does at all.
Will have zero effect on your images, even if they were in the center of the lens. Every used lens has some sort of flaws, of which most will not be visible in your photos.
It's more critical that the lens coating is in good condition, which your appears to be.
The only way to guarantee a pristine lens is to buy one new with a satisfaction guarantee, and keep returning lenses until you find a perfect one.

Okay, thank you for taking the time to answer.

Dugan
10-Mar-2021, 14:56
Is that Rodenstock Sironar, (plain , not -N)?
I had the same issue, and it is de-cementing.

Moman
10-Mar-2021, 14:57
Is that Rodenstock Sironar, (plain , not -N)?
I had the same issue, and it is de-cementing.

It is -N.
Can you tell me a bit about it?

Dugan
10-Mar-2021, 17:49
I bought a "plain" 150mm (?) Sironar in a partially-working shutter at a camera swap meet for $20. The seller was upfront about it, said it was junk. I bought it for the shutter, and threw the elements in the trash after doing some online research about Sironars de-cementing.
It looked like oil in between the elements, with rainbow patterns like yours.
Apparently the -N was a newer version that solved that problem...but not yours, it seems.
Have you tried using it?
If it were me, I'd return it to the seller if possible.

paulbarden
10-Mar-2021, 18:01
The rainbow colors seen in your photo are NOT evidence of separation of lens elements, it is simply how the coatings appear in certain lighting. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your lens.

Bernice Loui
10-Mar-2021, 19:43
Two possible areas of lens element separation.

Remove the front lens cell (un-screw from shutter). Place the lens cell on a light table. Put a polarizer on the camera lens, adjust the polarizer to see if dark areas appear on the lens cell. De-cement aka separation will appear dark like this.

Bernice

Moman
11-Mar-2021, 01:36
Two possible areas of lens element separation.

Remove the front lens cell (un-screw from shutter). Place the lens cell on a light table. Put a polarizer on the camera lens, adjust the polarizer to see if dark areas appear on the lens cell. De-cement aka separation will appear dark like this.

Bernice
Thank you for taking your time to answer.

I think it is actually the aparture blades looking like shades on the original photo. Or not? I dont have any tools really to dismantel a lense.
Regarding the small white dots, are those just dust or?

Moman
11-Mar-2021, 01:39
The rainbow colors seen in your photo are NOT evidence of separation of lens elements, it is simply how the coatings appear in certain lighting. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your lens.

Okay, good to hear. The white stuff is just dust then?

Bernice Loui
11-Mar-2021, 09:41
If this lens is typical, no tools required to remove the lens cells from the shutter (hold the shutter by hand, unscrew the front or rear lens cell with the other hand). They simply un-screw (counter clockwise) from the shutter both front and rear.

To mount this lens to a lens board, the rear element will need to be removed, by unscrewing it from the shutter to access the shutter mounting ring.

Unlike roll film or digital or cine or similar lenses, LF lenses are specifically designed to be easily take-apartable for mounting, service, replacing a shutter and all that.

Bernice

Thank you for taking your time to answer.

I think it is actually the aparture blades looking like shades on the original photo. Or not? I dont have any tools really to dismantel a lense.
Regarding the small white dots, are those just dust or?