PDA

View Full Version : My negatives are backwards....Shanghai 8x10 Film.

ic-racer
3-Mar-2021, 16:00
I was loading my recently dried 8x10 negatives into the negative preservers and I was having a little fit. Half of them were backwards. WTF?
Turns out I got a batch of Shanghai 8x10 that had the notch at BOTH CORNERS.

So, yes I not only loaded 3 of the sheets base-side-up, I also processed them in a Jobo 3005 EXPERT drum EMULSION OUT!

The amazing thing is that, other than the images being backward, the negatives are flawless. The exposure is fine and there was complete development of the image!

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
3-Mar-2021, 16:05
...The exposure is fine and there was complete development of the image!

How could that be? Is there is no antihalation coating or were they overexposed (vis a vis the "correct" side of the film)?

Drew Wiley
3-Mar-2021, 16:08
Yet another reason for me to avoid unfamiliar brands of film. You get what you pay for.

GRAYnomad
3-Mar-2021, 16:52
...Turns out I got a batch of Shanghai 8x10 that had the notch at BOTH CORNERS...

:eek: Now that's a first I think.

Sal Santamaura
3-Mar-2021, 17:00
...You get what you pay for.Not necessarily. But one always pays for what one gets. :)

Drew Wiley
3-Mar-2021, 18:04
Well, there are obviously a lot of people willing to make the same blatant mistake twice .... just speaking in principle, of course.

Bernice Loui
3-Mar-2021, 18:17
How many are going to tolerate this abuse, shrug it off, and move on under the guise of view camera hobby $ spent?

Do not remember having any such problem with Agfa, Fuji, Kodak or similar film brands.. ever.

Looking at this short term, cost of film hassle and all that. Longer term and broader view of what happened.. Your time spent on this is not replaceable or can ever be recovered. Your time IS the most valuable resource available to you.

Making any image with a view camera is no small effort and demands significant resources to do this on any level. Or why film cost should be the very low on the priority list of the cost of making LF images.

The initial motivation to try this film might be cost per sheet, curiosity of what this film could be or ?

Good to see stuff put out into public view, question now becomes what will the manufacture do about this catastrophic failure of their product?

Bernice

Two23
3-Mar-2021, 18:58
question now becomes what will the manufacture do about this catastrophic failure of their product?

Bernice

Can it be called a "catastrophic failure" if his images were perfect?

Kent in SD

Bernice Loui
3-Mar-2021, 19:18
Film double notched, image reversed, this ok?

Put some perspective on this.

Client books a studio shoot with models, props, hired crew to do a product promo image. Production cost alone is $1,000 per hour to cover the cost of models, props, crew and all. Foto shoot is done, film processed to discover the film has two set of notches, and the image is reversed.. There IS not digitizing, NO Foto-Shop or mean to fix the image produced..

What will you tell your client, what happens to your reputation, and all related to that?

Bernice

Can it be called a "catastrophic failure" if his images were perfect?

Kent in SD

Two23
3-Mar-2021, 20:35
Film double notched, image reversed, this ok?

Put some perspective on this.

Client books a studio shoot with models, props, hired crew to do a product promo image. Production cost alone is $1,000 per hour to cover the cost of models, props, crew and all. Foto shoot is done, film processed to discover the film has two set of notches, and the image is reversed.. There IS not digitizing, NO Foto-Shop or mean to fix the image produced..

What will you tell your client, what happens to your reputation, and all related to that?

Bernice

If I were doing something where I charged $1,000/hr. I would almost certainly be shooting digital. The Shanghai film is for people who are just out having fun and want to cut costs. If something screws up it's not a big deal.

Kent in SD

Bernice Loui
3-Mar-2021, 20:49
Yes, indeed.

Then there were lots who did precisely this back in the day.. when Foto-shop and similar was not even an idea.

Do this LF stuff for a few decades the "fun" factor is not the same as it was in the beginning. IMO, for those who continue doing LF today that did LF back in the 1980s' or before, the serious image making aspects of doing LF can remain. Old habits and expectations often remain for those who know how good LF images can be. It is a point of reference that tends to stay in one's memory in various ways.

That said, if not for the growing number of folks interested in LF today, sheet film and all related could have been gone long ago.

Bernice

If I were doing something where I charged $1,000/hr. I would almost certainly be shooting digital. The Shanghai film is for people who are just out having fun and want to cut costs. If something screws up it's not a big deal.

Kent in SD

ic-racer
4-Mar-2021, 06:42
The main point of interest I was attempting to point out is the 3005 EXPERT DRUM processed the emulsion perfectly. Just a little mark on the rebate that is all. This, I think, opens the possibility of processing the two-sided X-ray film in the 3005 drum.

In terms of the Shang-Hai, I get very good results with it. As long as one understands basic sensitometry and works within the films limitations it is very useable. I just opened my next box of 25 and am transferring all the sheets to a 'triple-box' in the correct orientation, in case this issue crops up again.

Here you see the dual notch codes and the 'upside down' image. My negatives are all processed NOTCH side up and removed and dried hanging from the notch side. So to get this one in the negative preserver page with emulsion down, it came out upside down compared to every other image I have ever processed. Other than that, and the small blemish on the rebate, I'd not have known it was exposed through the base side and processed emulation side out in the tank.

Jim Jones
4-Mar-2021, 07:20
When handling unnotched film in the dark, I slightly wet my lips and put a corner of the film between them. The difference between the emulsion and the back can be felt. This might not work with some fioms.

Jim Jones
4-Mar-2021, 07:20
When handling unnotched film in the dark, I slightly wet my lips and put a corner of the film between them. The difference between the emulsion and the back can be felt. This might not work with some films.

Ulophot
4-Mar-2021, 07:29
IC-racer, I'm interested in the apparent lack of anti-halation coating that would allow proper exposure through the base, as Jason mentioned. Do you know the answer to this conundrum?

ic-racer
4-Mar-2021, 11:10
Might be worth a sheet of film to test this. I can purposely load one backwards and expose the same scene with the same exposure to both films. My impression from this episode is the film base is just as clear before and after processing and one can just expose right through it.

Better yet, I think I still have some strips of film cut to fit my sensitometer. I'll just expose one each way and I can calculate the transmittance of the base. When I cut those strips I clipped the corner of all of them to identify the correct side