PDA

View Full Version : Shen Hao mod. TFC 45 (non folding model)

Luca Merlo
28-Jan-2006, 11:13
Has anyone ever used the non folding Shen Hao TFC 45 ? What are the impressions ? Where can it be purchased (Jeff at Badger said to me that they are not importing this model) ? Has anyone ever purchased directly from the manufacturer ?

Donald Hutton
28-Jan-2006, 14:56
This model is a 100% knock-off of the Ebony SW45. However, it has a very major flaw - the bellows it is equipped with are very stiff which means for shorter lenses, you need an additional set of bag bellows. The original Ebony SW45, on the other hand, is equipped with very flexible bellows which means that one set of bellows is used for everything. The idea of this camera is that it is supposed to be very easy and quick to use with wide angle lenses - the fact that the TFC requires bag bellows speaks volumes for the manufacturers understanding of the product. Having said that, I have used an Ebony SW45 extensively for shooting architecture - if you can do without rear shift, it's a great little camera and extremely fast to set up and shoot. Personally, I'd not buy a knock-off - if you can work around the disfunctionality of the TFC's bellows, I'm sure you could buy one direct from the manufacturer.

Scott Davis
28-Jan-2006, 17:03
At a small fraction of the price of an Ebony, even with buying the accessory bag bellows (which I agree, ought to be the default for a camera like that), it's worth the try. I can't speak for the TFC, but I have one of the HZX 45 IIa models, and the bag bellows. The bag bellows is very nice, and it's only $99.

Donald Hutton
28-Jan-2006, 17:16
Scott

My point was that on this particular design, the need for bag bellows is a major flaw, not merely an inconvenience. Changing bellows every time you set-up to use a wide angle lens on a camera designed for using wide angle lenses is simply ridiculous.

Frank Petronio
28-Jan-2006, 17:26
Wouldn't the smarter user just leave the bag bellows on all the time?

Luca Merlo
29-Jan-2006, 01:28
Thanks for the answers to Scott, Dan and Franck. All of you stated a very good point. I forgot to mention in the posting that I already own a folding Shen Hao HZX 45 II and I am very pleased with it. My interest in the non folding version is due to the fact that it is slightly lighter and always "ready to use" when backpacking on the Dolomites (our Northern Italian mountains). I also own the Shen Hao bag bellows that are indeed very soft as Scott is stating. I measured them and they have a maximum draw of slightly more of 200 mm, so they are longer of the maximum draw allowed by the non folding camera (190 mm). The idea of Frank of leaving the bag bellows on the camera all the time is therefore winning. With this set up the camera will easy allow me to use my Nikkor 90 and 135 lenses. Then, using the 35 mm extension board of Ebony (that will fit on the Shen Hao), I could also use the 200 M Nikor that I own. This will take the actual bellows draw at 225 mm that at least teoretically (I would need here your opinion) should allow me to use the 200 for lanndscape. What do you think about the idea ?

paul owen
29-Jan-2006, 03:41
I'm pretty sure that Shen Hao no longer produce this model due to the issues they faced after cloning the Ebony SW45.

Dan Jolicoeur
29-Jan-2006, 16:31
I'm pretty sure that Shen Hao no longer produce this model due to the issues they faced after cloning the Ebony SW45.

--paul owen 2006-01-29 02:41 PST

Paul where did you get this information from?

It is so tiring to keep hearing you whine about how Shem-Hao has cloned the ebony! You know what? I could list many camera names that came before Ebony, and I could sit here ranting on of every post that Ebony cloned there parts. I field camera is a pretty darn simple piece of equipment. They all look the same to some extent.

Frank Petronio
29-Jan-2006, 18:04
Since Shen-Hao virtually cloned all their other cameras from Ebony, why haven't they had problems with other models?

Frankly, some of the Chinese designs offered on eBay are quite original and look to be well made, so I am less skeptical of all Chinese cameras nowadays... Some of their gadgets are downright neat.

Steve Daniels
15-Feb-2006, 21:02
The original model (the TFC45) had a standard bellows attached and worked quite well, not flawed as Mr. Hutton has said numerous times. The short bellows is flexible enough for any lens down to a 65mm. Below that, the movements are limited, but lens coverage doesnn't allow much movement anyway, so it doesn't much matter.

The TFC45-IIA comes with a bag bellows atached, and a standard bellows can be fitted. The bag bellows works just fine through the entire extension of the bellows. I have one, and there IS no flaw. It works perfectly.

The TFC45 was only sold in China, and only a few were brought out by people who bought them there. The TFC45IIA was the export model, and is NOT(!!!!!) an Ebony clone. There are similarities, but IT IS A 4x5 NON_FOLDING FIELD CAMERA! HOW MUCH DIFFERENT CAN IT BE?

Steve Daniels
15-Feb-2006, 21:09
I keep seeing printed that all Shen Hao cameras are direct clones of Ebony cameras. There are basically two Shen Hao designs - the folding and non-folding. The original non-folding camera was similar to an Ebony, but the folding models do not resemble any Ebony model at all, except that it happens to be a folding 4x5 field camera. If you don't like a camera because it isn't your brand, keep it to yourself. This is worse that the Nikon-Canon debate. (By the way, Nikon and Canon cameras kinda look alike - Maybee one of them should be sent to hell for copying the other)

This isn't even fun anymore. I'm going to take my camera and go home.

Shen45
16-Feb-2006, 00:39
Some simple facts. The Shen is a flat bed field camera that is similar to many flat bed field cameras made over the past 100 yearsby many manufacturers all over the world.

It is a simply excellent precise camera. I use a 90 mm SA with major movements without bag bellows with no restrictions at all. The workmanship is excellent, the set up is easy and --- and the images are stunning.

Did I also point out the fact that the camera is very well priced and excellent value for money. There appears to be a touch of sour grapes in some of the anti Shen posts that are not based on any valid information.

If I never own another 5x4 camera I will not be ashamed of the images I produce with this most excellent photographic tool.

Steve Daniels
16-Feb-2006, 13:53
Thank you, Mr. Nicholls. I totally agree.

CXC
16-Feb-2006, 14:14
Yes, Luca, that sounds like a perfectly workable plan.

Personally, I would not want to spend much time putting on/off the back extension and various bellows. But I can imagine that with just the bag bellows, it could still be pretty handy, for those who shoot a lot with wide angle lenses. And the price is right.

Steve Daniels
16-Feb-2006, 15:25
Just a note for all who think that all Shen Hao products are rip-offs of Ebony cameras. Shen Hao did not copy the Ebony Universal bellows. They allowed for a conventional bag bellows, as most all other cameras do. Unless you use a lens extension to use focal lengths beyond 180mm, a standard bellows is not even necessary with this camera. There IS no flaw or inconvenience. It is a solid design.