PDA

View Full Version : Help with opaque green stain after dev with PYROCAT-HD

akoltek
28-Feb-2021, 13:58
Can anyone provide any insight into was has caused this defect in my negative?

Fomapan 200
Pyrocat HD 1+1+100 for 7 minutes @68
Jobo Expert Drum on Unicolor roller

Negative is prewashed to remove antihilation layer for 10 minutes using manual agitation. Once pyro goes is, drum is taken off roller at the top of each minute, manually agitated, and then put on drum in the opposite direction.213339213339

Keith Pitman
28-Feb-2021, 14:29
Looks like the film was in contact with the drum. Assuming it is the non-emulsion side of the film, you may be able to re-fix it and it will go away. If it was the emulsion side, you had the film in backwards--emulsion should be towards the center of the drum.

akoltek
28-Feb-2021, 14:34
I am confident film was emulsion in, as I feel for notch at top right before rolling the film and inserting it into the drum. I tried refixing and rewashing but the spot didn't change. There is an area of zero density around the spot, so I'm certainly thinking I managed to get something on the film... Just no idea what

jp
28-Feb-2021, 16:15
If fixer does not remove it, it's probably not something that's meant to be part of the film. Anyone in the household with "institutional green" fingernail paint sabotaging your photography? Perhaps Foma has a green painted machine that was not dry when making film?

jamgolf
1-Mar-2021, 13:34
Tim Gilbert (Stearman Press) had a blog post trying to explain something similar:
https://shop.stearmanpress.com/blogs/news/blotches-of-despair-solved-well-mostly-solved

Gist: if in doubt, use distilled water