PDA

View Full Version : Fortune

Kirk Gittings
27-Jan-2006, 22:21
Fortune smiles on me again.

I am being honored on the floor of the State Senate of New Mexico, Monday morning 10:00 am, by Senator Dede Feldman, for my photographic accomplishments, especially for the recent book Shelter from the Storm: The Photographs of Kirk Gittings. "Shelter..." was recently selected by the University of New Mexico Alumni Association as a special gift to the state legislators. Senator Feldman will honor me with a proclamation and Certificate of Recognition.

It doesn't get much better than this from the state that I grew up in and truely love! I feel extremely lucky to have grown up in New Mexico and to have been turned on to photography in the 6th grade by my father. My first camera was a Leica IIIc, one of his hand-me-downs.

David Karp
27-Jan-2006, 22:29
Congrats Kirk.

tim atherton
27-Jan-2006, 22:30
good on yer mate

Doug Dolde
27-Jan-2006, 23:52
Congrats..your work is fantastic.

Luca Merlo
28-Jan-2006, 01:26
Kirk, congratulations for a well deserved prize.

Steven Nestler
28-Jan-2006, 05:37
Wonderful, Kirk. Enjoy the rewards of your hard work.

Bruce Barlow
28-Jan-2006, 05:57
Very well done, and congratulations on being so honored and recognized.

Robert A. Zeichner
28-Jan-2006, 06:31
Congratulations. What a wonderful experience this must be for you.

Question: Do you still have the IIIc? My dad gave me my first "serious" camera, a Ricoh Diacord G TLR. Still on the shelf with the copy of the Golden Book of Photography he also gave to me. It's fun to look back at how it all started.

Enjoy your honors, I'm sure they are well deserved.

Roger Richards
28-Jan-2006, 06:57
A big congratulations to you, Kirk.

Frank Petronio
28-Jan-2006, 07:49
I wish we had senators named Dede here Kirk. Congrats!

Michael Kadillak
28-Jan-2006, 08:38
A big HIGH FIVE to you Kirk!

Well deserved I would add and about time.

Cheers!

Harley Goldman
28-Jan-2006, 08:57
Way to go, Kirk!

Alex Hawley
28-Jan-2006, 09:09
That's excellent Kirk and congratulations! I think its highly significant for a photographer to get recognized by a political body of the State level. That speaks well of you and them both. One doesn't see this happen very often.

David Crossley
28-Jan-2006, 09:34
Awesome recognition. Congratulations Kirk!

David Crossley/Crossley Photography....

bglick
28-Jan-2006, 09:39
Congrats Kirk! Be sure to advise us after its over, so we can all bask in your glory!

Richard Boulware
28-Jan-2006, 09:55
Congratulations, Kirk. May your future hold many encores for the honor you about to receive.

Richard Boulware - Denver.

John Berry ( Roadkill )
28-Jan-2006, 10:03
Congratulations, Kirk. Well deserved.

Kirk Gittings
28-Jan-2006, 10:18
Thanks all for your words of encouragement.

No Robert I don't it was also the first camera that I had stolen! Though that was not until I was a freshman in college.

Ralph Barker
28-Jan-2006, 10:27
Congratulations, Kirk. Will you have to drive up to the "Round House" to accept the certificate?

<small>For those unfamiliar with New Mexico, the legislature is in session for only 30 days here. So, squeezing in something like this takes on a different perspective, I think.</small>

Kirk Gittings
28-Jan-2006, 13:32
Yes Ralph, They are presenting it, during session on the floor, Monday morning. Thanks again for the use of the bellows.

Allen Quinn
28-Jan-2006, 15:12
Let me add to the chorus of congratulations. You keep good company.
I covered the California Legislature as a wire service photographer for a
number of years and to my knowledge only one photographer was ever honored
on the floor..... Mr. Ansel Adams.

Bill_1856
28-Jan-2006, 15:21
You deserve it, Kirk. Not because of your books, or your pictures, but because you are a GREAT guy.

John Flavell
28-Jan-2006, 15:27
Fathers have a way of giving us a push in the right direction every now and then, don't they? Congratulations.

Kirk Gittings
28-Jan-2006, 15:40
Allen, thanks for that. Whew. Thanks all you guys are great for my self esteem.

Ted Harris
28-Jan-2006, 15:48
Kirk, let me add my applause and tipmof the hat.

Cheers,

Ted

Gary Dardas
29-Jan-2006, 11:26
Kirk,

Congratulations on a well deserved honor. You have been so helpful to all of us on this site sharing your observations and thinking about so many topics. It's nice to know you are getting due recognition for your magnificant photography and contributions to our art.

Gary Dardas

Kirk Gittings
29-Jan-2006, 14:05
Thanks to one and all for your kind words.

Bruce Wehman
30-Jan-2006, 08:55
A belated congratulations. Well deserved!!

Greg Miller
30-Jan-2006, 10:29
Very cool. Congratulations!

Marko
30-Jan-2006, 14:36
It is always great to see people getting what they deserve.

Congratulations, Kirk!

Kirk Gittings
31-Jan-2006, 11:11
A follow-up.

I did not know what to expect, never having been to the legislature when it was in session before. It turned out to be a very affirming experience. The New Mexico Senate is surprisingly casual. My wife and I sat next to the Secretary of State. Senator Dede Feldman who initiated this recognition went into my past accomplishments in fair detail and then also acknowledegd my dear wife, the writers I had collaborated with and the New Mexico Magazine staff who published my recent book. Then a round of applause, the presenting of the award and off we went. Back to my real life.

This morning I woke up, the same up-tight and insecure person that I was yesterday, looked at the computer screen, realized I was almost late for a breakfast meeting with the author that I am working with on my next book project (which I am years behind on) and off I went in a rush, the spiral continues.....

Ralph Barker
31-Jan-2006, 11:19
Kirk - thanks for the follow-up. Sounds like the event went well, even though "reality" was close on its heels. ;-)