PDA

View Full Version : Azo replacement announced

Dean Cookson
26-Jan-2006, 13:39
Folks,
Michael Smith announced the Azo replacement over in the Azo forum a little while ago. His post is here (http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/AzoForum/one.asp?ID=9056&PgNo=&GID=9056&CID=7)

Gary L. Quay
28-Jan-2006, 05:57
Cool! Time to break out the amidol.

--Gary

Andrew O'Neill
22-Nov-2006, 15:18
So, has anyone used this paper yet?

Oren Grad
22-Nov-2006, 15:31
Andy, it's not available yet:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32982

Andrew O'Neill
22-Nov-2006, 21:53
Thanks Oren.

Jay DeFehr
22-Nov-2006, 22:17
Wow! Check the dates. That announcement was made in January, and the last post to that thread was made in March.

Jay

Oren Grad
23-Nov-2006, 08:57
Jay, the APUG thread I linked above is a much more recent update.

Jay DeFehr
23-Nov-2006, 11:16
Thanks, Oren. Sounds like they're getting it dialed in. I hope the new paper is available before I run out of Azo.

Jay

Ken Lee
24-Nov-2006, 12:16
Has anyone done a survey on the dMax of various papers, including Azo ?

I don't own any sensitometry equipment, but I suspect that the combination I am using today (Epson Ultrachrome K3 inks on Epson Premium Glossy paper) may have a dMax equal to or greater the Silver papers, toned in Selenium, on which I printed back in the 1970's.

sanking
24-Nov-2006, 12:54
Has anyone done a survey on the dMax of various papers, including Azo ?

I don't own any sensitometry equipment, but I suspect that the combination I am using today (Epson Ultrachrome K3 inks on Epson Premium Glossy paper) may have a dMax equal to or greater the Silver papers, toned in Selenium, on which I printed back in the 1970's.

Pehaps there has been a full study of this, but if so I have not seen it.

My own work with AZO gives an absolute maximum of about log 2.20, after selenium toning. Several of the contemporary silver papers will give somewhat higher Dmax, up to 2.3 or even 2.4. I don't have any idea how your Epson inkjet prints compare, but if you send me a sample I will be happy to take a reading and post the finding. I doubt very much that your Epson prints will have Dmax of 2.3 or higher, but I could be wrong.

Sandy

Jay DeFehr
24-Nov-2006, 13:15
Hi Ken.

I think Donald Miller has done that kind of comparison, and your supsicion might be correct, but there's more to the appeal of Azo than its Dmax, and much of its appeal probably doesn't correlate to digital printing in any way. For instance, Azo is very slow, so printing can be done in a much brighter environment, with far less risk of fogging, which is nice. Azo also keeps very well; I've printed on 50 year old Azo that looked better than my fresh box. Azo is very fine grained, very responsive to developer formulae, and tones extremely well. These are all very practical benefits for DR printeres that have little relevance for digital printers, and do not address the issues of Exposure Scale, paper finish, or Dmax, which are of interest to both camps, and which I leave to the more zealous members of those camps to argue, besides, my knowledge of digital printing is practically non-existent.

Jay

P.S. Those who demand accuracy can replace Azo is with Azo was where they appear above.