PDA

View Full Version : Sinar 8x10 backs vs. bag bellows

CXC
25-Jan-2006, 16:27
I want to convert my 4x5 P into a wide angle 8x10. Sinar retail prices remain otherworldly, so this is strictly a used equipment transaction.

I see some conversion kits claiming 'metering' backs and some stating 'non-metering'. Also, I see some bag bellows listed with each specifier. In particular, B&H says: "The 8x10 Tapered Bellows is available in two versions: for current meterback (MB) cameras and for the older, non metering frames (Non-MB)."

So you need a different bellows for an ONMB (Old Non-Metering Back) and a NMB (New Metering Back)? In which case I have to be dang sure that the back and bellows I buy correspond in terms of meteringness? Sheesh, I thought Sinar stuff was supposed to be self-compatible!

And I still don't understand what a 'frame' is...

Brian J Nelson
25-Jan-2006, 16:37
The metering back allows the metering probe to be inserted into the back for taking light readings through the lens at the film plane. This made for a different size frame from the older non-metering back frame. If you dont have the meter (and don't plan to) you don't need the metering back.

martin_4668
26-Jan-2006, 05:28
Hi CXC

I have a nice Norma 8x10 with bagbellows for sale if yhou are interested.
Give me an email.

martin

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
26-Jan-2006, 07:46
Have a look at german E-Bay. There are sometimes 8x10" p backs there for quite "earthly" prices.

http://foto.listings.ebay.de/Kameras-weitere_Grossbildformat_W0QQfromZR4QQsacatZ8277QQsocmdZListingItemList

Gudmundur Ingolfson

Pete Roody
26-Jan-2006, 08:01
"So you need a different bellows for an ONMB (Old Non-Metering Back) and a NMB (New Metering Back)? In which case I have to be dang sure that the back and bellows I buy correspond in terms of meteringness? Sheesh, I thought Sinar stuff was supposed to be self-compatible!"

Yes! The metering back is also much heavier than the non-metering back.

Caroline Matthews
26-Jan-2006, 13:29
The backs and bellows are also different sizes, so make sure that you get a bag bellows that matches the back you buy.

CXC
26-Jan-2006, 15:38
Thanks, all, now I will be a reasonably well-informed shopper.