PDA

View Full Version : It's almost here!!!

Rakesh Malik
25-Jan-2006, 14:33
I got a call from Badger today... they said my Ebony camera is ready and will be shipping tomorrow (I suspect that it would have shipped today had it not been for the debit card's daily limit).

Woohoo!

Now to pick a first lens... :)

Eric Biggerstaff
25-Jan-2006, 14:38
That is a beautiful camera, have fun! :-)

Rakesh Malik
25-Jan-2006, 14:42
I intend to... I was just overly excited about it since I've been waiting since just before Christmas to get it :)

darr
25-Jan-2006, 14:54
Which model are you receiving? I bought a new SV45U from Jeff two years ago and just love it! Last year Jeff handled a Cambo Reflex Hood modification via Japan for the Ebony and it was totally painless and did not cost as much as what other repair houses wanted here in the states. Now I am waiting on a Cooke Portrait lens from Jeff to arrive. Can't wait either! Happy shooting lies ahead ...

Rakesh Malik
25-Jan-2006, 14:59
I'm getting the same model. Danny Burke convinced me of the benefits of asymmetric movements. :D

I can't wait to start shooting with it!

darr
25-Jan-2006, 15:26
Great choice on the SV45U2. Mine is just like yours, but without rear shift. I did not think I needed it and so far I have not found the need. I wanted it to be as light as possible with the movements I felt I would use. >> 5'3" petite lady on this side of the screen : ) .

Danny Burk
25-Jan-2006, 16:37
Glad to hear that it's on its way. Now the fun begins :)

Rakesh Malik
25-Jan-2006, 22:18
Darr,
That same reasoning is why I went with the SV45U, rather than the U2 :)

Well, except that I'm a not-so-small athletic type... but I probably have longer hair anyway ;)

I actually managed to snag a quickload holder, it arrived tonight. So the kit's gradually coming together.

This weekend is going to be quite draggy due to the anticipation... :)

Doug Dolde
26-Jan-2006, 00:37
Call Bill Maxwell and order one of his Hi Lux screens. You are gonna need one as the Ebony screens suck.

darr
26-Jan-2006, 10:27
hmmm, my Ebony screen does not ****. I use it in the studio and occasionally in the Everglades with no brightness problems at all. I found it to have one of the better screens I have used. Brighter than the screen on my Linhof Color with Fresnel. Wait and see for yourself.

Sorry, seems that I read the posting about your model too fast and skipped over the "." and saw Danny Burke's name and remembered that he uses the SV45U2. I love the U model and it's light weight.
Have fun!

Steve Hamley
26-Jan-2006, 13:15
Darr,

Let us know how you like the Cooke portrait lens - inquiring minds want to know.

My Ebony screen also doesn't s**k. In fact, I had a Maxwell and went back to the Ebony screen. The Maxwell was brighter and the fresnel lines less prominent, but it did not "pop" into focus as the Ebony screen does. It was easier to focus with the Ebony screen, especially in low contrast and low-light situations.

Steve

Rakesh Malik
26-Jan-2006, 13:28
No need to apologize for that, Darr :)

Either way, it should be shipping today!!!

I don't know what shipping method though, so I don't know when it will be here. It took the film holder a bit less than a week via UPS Ground. (I wasn't really all that keen on rushing the film holder before the camera shipped. :))

I guess I'll just have to see for myself what the groundglass looks like when I get it... though it probably won't tell me much until I get my first lens ;)

darr
26-Jan-2006, 13:38
"Let us know how you like the Cooke portrait lens - inquiring minds want to know."

I will certainly let you know! I ordered it in December and Jeff said it would not be too long of a wait. I have lots of patience waiting for quality items, but I will give Jeff a hello via e-mail pretty soon.

Walt Calahan
26-Jan-2006, 14:07
Darr

If you are half as happy with the Cooke Portrait lens as I am with my Cooke XVa for 8x10, you will be dancing with "happy feet." Cooke Optics makes amazing glass.

Danny Burk
26-Jan-2006, 14:09
I was able to do a direct comparison of Ebony vs Maxwell screens using identical cameras with identical lenses. While Ebony's screen is indeed excellent, I have a slight preference for Maxwell. The latter is less coarse and more evenly illuminated with a less-pronounced hotspot. It's also slightly brighter overall, perhaps by 10%.

Steve, I'm surprised that you returned your Maxwell screen. Were you using his "hi-lux" model in the "all-purpose" version (i.e. not the version that's intended only to be used with wide lenses)?

Regards,
Danny www.dannyburk.com

darr
26-Jan-2006, 15:44
Walter: I LOVE having happy feet. Thanks!