PDA

View Full Version : Touching Up a Small Lens Scratch

neil poulsen
9-Feb-2021, 11:16
I have a 300mm Rodagon enlarging lens that I'm selling, AND UNFORTUNATELY, there's a small scratch on it's surface. (See photo.) It reflects light, so there may be a possibility that this scratch could affect image quality, especially since this lens is multi-coated.

Isn't there a dab of liquid one can apply carefully just on the scratch itself to prevent it from reflecting light? I seem to recall this being the case. If so, what might I use? Would this need to be done professionally; it seems like this is something I could do myself? I contacted S.K. Grimes, and they're not familiar with this kind of repair.

Whatever was applied, I wouldn't want it to have the ability to migrate to surrounding areas.

Given the surface area of the lens, I doubt that the size of the scratch will be an issue. However, it's ability to reflect light might be another matter.

Dan Fromm
9-Feb-2021, 11:17
India ink.

neil poulsen
9-Feb-2021, 11:37
India ink.

Thanks very much. Will give this a try.

domaz
9-Feb-2021, 12:04
If your selling, best to just mention it in the listing. Let someone else try to fix it or not if they want. You might get a bit less money for it, but condition seems to matter less and less on Ebay these days.

Kevin Crisp
9-Feb-2021, 14:37
One of the fine point Sharpies, not that anything that small would affect anything anyway. Easily removeable.