PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Tmax 100 developed in SP-76EC

SeanAmadio
1-Feb-2021, 22:01
Hello, I was hoping someone might be able to help me troubleshoot my development. I developed some Tmax 100 and the negatives came out unusably thin and with a slight pink/purple tint. Generally I use Kodak D76 and have had good results but after the two bags I had turned out to be part of a recall, I bought some SP-76EC and SP-Fixer #7 to develop a few sheets.

For the developer I used the standard listed dilution of 1:10 and for the fixer I also used the listed 1:3 dilution, both with distilled water.

I followed the suggested processing times listed for Tmax 100: 7min development and 6min for the fix.

Here is a side by side with another sheet of Tmax 100 developed in Kodak D76:

The first thing you notice is the pink/purple tint, I read around a bit and it seems like this could be from not fixing long enough?

Second issue is how thin the negative is. At first I thought the photo on the left was severely underexposed but comparing the "Tmax 100" label between the two sheets the difference is clear.

Not really sure what went wrong here, does anyone have experience with SP-76EC/Tmax 100 that can give me some pointers?

Willie
1-Feb-2021, 22:54
Do you know the difference in underexposed and underdeveloped?
Look at the shadow detail in both negatives.

Did you do any testing of the new developer or jump right in with images that may be important to you?

SeanAmadio
2-Feb-2021, 01:27
Yes, the negative on the left does look like it came out underexposed, it still doesn't quite explain the differences in the label, nor the pink hue.

These are my test images from my first development on the new chemicals and so I was looking for some feedback on where in the process I might have gone wrong so I can correct and do more tests.

Edit: This image might be a better example of what I'm talking about, sheet on the left was completely exposed to light. Compared to highlight areas in the sheet on the right:

koraks
3-Feb-2021, 23:51
There's something wrong with the developer, that's for sure. The pink hue is just remnants of antihalation dye.

SeanAmadio
4-Feb-2021, 00:32
Was able to do a more direct comparison today, two identically exposed sheets. Top is developed in SP-76EC 1:10 for 7 mins, bottom is D76 1:1 for 12 mins, both fixed with SP-Fixer #7 for 6 mins: