PDA

View Full Version : Sinar P explanations

Stefan Lungu
1-Feb-2021, 02:10
Hello together

I'm currently using a Sinar F that I put together and have a 4x5 back on it. I would like to try a negative a little bit bigger to be able to use alt type printing and was thinking of getting a P back for 5x7. While looking at the ways to get this I saw that sellers advertise front and rear base blocks and I was wondering what the difference is between these two - since I saw that there are focusing possibilities on both.

Kind regards,
Stefan

Bernice Loui
1-Feb-2021, 10:08
Sinar P rear with F front results in the Sinar official C. Used one for decades.

The P rear came in two versions, the most common is used for 4x5 and 5x7 or sort of ok with 8x10.
There is a 8x10 specific P rear. It has the 8x10 frame support as a "T" shaped structure with the shift adjustment in the center of the "T" and designed-built a bit lower than the standard issue P rear.

To do the 4x5 to 5x7 film format change with a P rear, parts needed will be P rear, 5x7 frame and film back and choice of bellows. 5x7 bellows comes in standard tapered or bag bellows. If longer bellows and camera extension is needed, add another Sinar F or Norma aux standard with more rail and a standard 4x5. Repeat as needed until the required bellows and camera extension is achieved.

Frames are are essentially 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 interchangeable on the P rear standard and interchangeable with Norma and the majority of the entire Sinar system. Think view camera "LEGO" to build up a camera as needed to meet the image making goals.

Bernice

Luis-F-S
1-Feb-2021, 11:28
If you want to stick with the F, you'll need to find an F 8x10 or 5x7 rear standard and bellows o use with your front standard.

Stefan Lungu
1-Feb-2021, 12:38
One of the reasons for going Sinar was exactly the "Lego" type of the system that allows for one the build of a relatively light camera with the F standards and a bag bellows for the 90 and 180mm when used for city/architecture in 4x5 but also other combinations and the fact one can mix F and P on the same bank ( resulting in a C type of device ). The mix and match is nice, but requires the knowledge about what works and what not. I was just wondering if the P frame for 5x7 can be mounted on both P front or rear standard bearers.

Regards, Stefan