PDA

View Full Version : Name Your Tip

Scott Fleming
23-Jan-2006, 18:00
Had this idea while I was out shooting this evening. Yes I actually had my 4 x5 set up in an almost remote location (I can almost drive to) out here in the boonies AND I made nine whole exposures.

Anyway I was looking at my backpack laying on the rock cliff I was perched on and saw something I don't see in all those shots where people show us thier kits and setups. It occured to me that most of us do something unique to ourselves regarding our kit or our setup or whatever ... that could be useful to others.

I use rags. I'm very fond of soft white terry cloth 'hand towels' and I use them in several ways. I get the ones at Home Depot .... they're about 16" square. I wash them a couple times to soften them up. I roll them up and use them as spacers in the bag where a velcro devider doesn't fit. I wrap things like GNDs (in their own case) in them for extra padding. When I lay the collapsed VX 125 in the center of my bag, with a lens in it, between the various velcro deviders I use - I drape a nice soft rag over it and then loop my cable realese loosely around the lens so it's right there for ready use when I set up. AND I always throw a couple more somewhere in my kit as they come in handy in a myriad of ways.

That's my little tip. Anybody else got one to add?

Steve Hamley
23-Jan-2006, 18:18
Scott,

Dry fire the shutter before pulling the dark slide/readyload envelope and listen. Makes sure the shutter is closed, shutter functional, not on "T" when you want "B", not on 1/125 when you want 1/5, and if you use cable releases with disk locks, that the disk lock isn't on (If you're on "T" or "B" it kills a sheet of film).

Jack Dykinga recommended in one of his books to check the GG post exposure to make sure nothing shifted. Haven't felt a need to do that with my particular camera, but in very early, very late light, and changing conditions, check the post exposure reading against exposure settings. Light can change a stop or more in just a minute or two.

Steve

jnantz
23-Jan-2006, 18:43
windshield wipers make the best squeegees.

i've been using the same one since 1981 ... its been so long since i
bought it, don't even know where its twin is ..

Kirk Gittings
23-Jan-2006, 18:47
I keep a small light disk, black on one side and silver on the other, folded in my case. I primarily use it to let the wind "skate" over my camera. With it I have been good for 2 second exposures in a strong wind. But it is also useful as a reflector at times, a gobo, a rain shield, a signal device, a frisbee, a UFO prop (flies better than a hubcap), a fan when its hot and a really dorky looking sun hat.

Walt Calahan
23-Jan-2006, 19:03
I use a "Johnson Pitch & Angle Locator" bought at my local Ace Hardware store to make sure my ground glass and lens are exactly parallel. Especially useful when I've got the camera bed at an angle so the standards are not locked into the detents.

Ed Richards
23-Jan-2006, 19:10
> Dry fire the shutter before pulling the dark slide/readyload envelope and listen. Makes sure the shutter is closed, shutter functional, not on "T" when you want "B", not on 1/125 when you want 1/5, and if you use cable releases with disk locks, that the disk lock isn't on (If you're on "T" or "B" it kills a sheet of film).

Great tip! This is a common path solution to lots of problems, including the weird copal 0 problem that if you do not have the preview lever all the way down, it can let the shutter fire but not open. The tip off is that it sounds funny and you can see it is not opening, but that is harder to notice from behind the camera.

My tip is to process every other sheet in the holders, i.e., if you have a tank that holds 6 sheets, take one sheet from 6 holders, then the second sheet on the next batch. Then if there is a screw up, you have less of a chance of losing all the shots of any given subject. (Assuming you take more than one shot of anything.)

Scott Fleming
23-Jan-2006, 19:30
Ooooooooooo! These are great!

Keep em comin.

ronald lamarsh
23-Jan-2006, 19:58
I do quite a bit of backpacking here in the northwest, often times the weather can be bad especially near or on the Pacific Crest in September. Although it has nothing to do with my camera setup I truly enjoy a cup of expresso in the foul weather but it gets so cold and windy that my stovetop maker won't brew, so........... I use my tripod wrapped with a spaceblanket to form a teepee to shield my cooking setup. If it gets really bad and you have a rather large tripod you can use the same setup as an emergency shelter!

Mark_3632
23-Jan-2006, 20:01
Cotton Diapers

Padding for lenses, Seperators, Knee Pads, Reflectors, bellows sag support, Super absorbant bellows mop for unexpected rain storm, butt pad for when those rocks are too hot or cold to sit on while waiting for the light to happen

Oh yeah, covering the babies butt to avoid messes is a another use for these little wonders.

Baby syringe doser and bottle stopper, the kind with the flip top lid and a little hole for inserting the syringe tip, for chemicals (make sure you mark the ones you use for chemicals) Best 4 bucks I have spent for measuring developer.

Robert Skeoch
23-Jan-2006, 20:02
This is my best tip,

I use Ilford Multigrade paper for the contacts that I put in my file, but instead of using 8x10 size sheets I simple order the paper in 8 1/2 x 11. It's not a regular photo size but Ilford makes it and Kodak made it for years. I worked at a government agency once and we used it there. It was very popular with the government.

Anyway, the larger size gives you room to 3-hole punch the contact as well as making sure all the negs are on. Very useful for 35mm 36 ex. which I find a little tight on 8x10.
-Rob Skeoch

ronald lamarsh
23-Jan-2006, 20:02
Mark I would assume these would also make good emegency bandages!

Jack Flesher
23-Jan-2006, 20:49
Emergency GG: Carrying a spare GG in the car is no biggie, but in a back-pack it becomes more problematic -- they are fragile by themselves, and padding them properly makes them big for an emergency accessory.

I carry a thin peice of acrylic plastic pre-cut the same size as my GG. I scuff one side with the "scrubbing" side of a sponge to create the etched surface for the image to form on.

Scott Fleming
23-Jan-2006, 20:54
Ron's excellent idea made me think of one that I learned from The Complete Walker by Collin Fletcher. When he's backwoodsing it he often doesn't want to pack a tent. BUT he always carry's a plastic sheet large enough to make a ground cover and a leanto type structure. The best part of his idea is how he fastens said structure to whatever is handy to hold it up using light line. Vis-clamps. You can get them at good camping stores. Its just a stiff wire loop in the shape of a dumbell and about 5" long. The opening at one end is about the size of a golfball and the other side about half that size. There is a narrow channel between the round openings about 1/2" wide. They come with a rubber ball that will pass through the large end with about 1/8" to spare. You put the ball about ten inches from any corner of a sheet or along any margin, give it a twist and pass it through the large hole. Turn the clip 180 degrees and attach your fastening line to the large hole end. The visqueen will slide through the narrow channel and the ball won't pass through the small hole. Wallah! You can make a visqueen sheet into any configuration tent shape immaginable. The Vis-clamp won't tear the sheet even in a high wind. This set up saved my but in the Sierras one night when an unexpected snow storm came up. I was able to get a cover up in ten minutes. (some might think you can just throw a plastic sheet over yourself and sleeping bag but this will lead to you wetting the bag with perspiration from the inside and can get you killed)

I don't want to vear this thread unto too many 'camping' type tips as the photography tips are so much better but I have just one more:

I got this from Fletcher too. He postulates the First Law of Body Thermodynamics: Give your balls some air. (strenuous hiking is so much more comfortable in loose fitting pants or shorts) For me this also means ... never jeans. They are just too stiff and heavy. I am addicted to cotton khaki pants and shorts. Plus it fits my 'old fart' image so much better.

Frank Petronio
23-Jan-2006, 21:52
I take a little dab of nose oil and rub it into the camera's rails for smoother operation. Ear Wax works better for screws and knobs, and the stuff I can wipe off my bald dome works better than Armour-All for the bellows.

Just keep eating chips and pizza...

William Mortensen
23-Jan-2006, 22:08
Rather than the more expensive lens-wraps, I buy good, thick, extra-plush hand towels to wrap around my lenses. Used to keep them in place with rubber bands,but these days I prefer my own home-made rubber bands, made with the lightest weight bungee cord you can get in a climbing shop.

Oh, and sometimes I buy lenses on this site called "e-bay." Some of you may have heard of it...

John Kasaian
23-Jan-2006, 23:38
Two Swiss Army Knives. The one with the #2 Phillips screwdriver is for the camera, while the one with the corkscrew is for me.

A plastic trash bag and a couple of those little miniature plastic bottles of peppermint schnapps (if sking)

A mess of sugar cubes and/or walnettos to bribe Milly the mule (if packing)

A second pair of socks, really lean bastruma, dental floss, a Mr. Peanut bar AND a plastic trash bag (if backpacking)

A credit card for gas, American Rejects, Stan Fortuna, Roy Allen Jr's 48 Ferlings Etudes, and Chumba Wumba CDs, and a double cappuccino (if driving on a paved road in my wife's car, which has a CD player)

A credit card for gas and a AAA auto club card and a double cappuccino (if driving on a paved road in my ex-forestry service pick up truck, which never had a CD player)

A sharp axe, a shovel and either a trucker's rope or a length of logging chain (if driving off road)

I highly recommend all this stuff

....and a roll of gaffer's tape!

Duane Polcou
24-Jan-2006, 00:09
1.Wood Hood. I don't know if they're still made, but they fit around the the rear standard of your camera
creating about a foot long cloth "tube". By no means a replacement for a focusing cloth, but if you have fast lenses, a fresnel focusing screen, a loupe, and intend on shooting in relatively bright light, this thing makes a great alternative when weight is a consideration.

2. Self designed inkjet printed 5x7 promo cards for when people ask who you are and what you are doing and you don't want to be rude because you are in the middle of a critical space of time working.

3. New Jersey State Forest Service Ranger Repellent.

John Berry ( Roadkill )
24-Jan-2006, 00:31
I carry rasins. I hate rasins. If I get stuck and NEED an energy food they will be there.

Jerry Fusselman
24-Jan-2006, 00:38
Truck vault. Keep your camera gear and other valuables safely locked inside your vehicle while you are sleeping or eating or hiking or whatever. It also keeps things organized in lockable shelves that you can pull out. I use a huge Truck Vault in my 4wd Suburban. A company in Washington builds them for you.

Jorge Gasteazoro
24-Jan-2006, 01:12
The simplest tips of all.....turn your lens so that the aperture scale is facing left or right (whichever you like best) instead of facing up, this way you wont be on your toes trying to see the aperture.

This works for up to 11x14. No need for quick release, Just tilt the tripod head plate 90 degrees and cradle the camera so you can see where the tripod screw goes in. Too many times I have seen people trying to mount an 8x10 on a head with the plate horizontal and they keep doing the tripod dance... :-)

Leonard Metcalf
24-Jan-2006, 04:54
Use a fly rather than a tent, then you can get a good feeling for the sunrise from your bed. Attach a hydration system to the top of your camera pack, so you can sip water all day long (like a camel back). Look around you after taking a shot, sometimes there is another shot just there, and you don't even have to move the tripod. I once discovered this, when I didn't lock down the panorama bit on my ball head, the camera moved, and I thought I'd have a look and found a gem of an image. Walk slowly, and enjoy the environment which makes it easier to get in touch with your creativity. Take mental photographs, so that you can save a few for your memory. Use a walking stick to save your knees. Take a friend, for safety, company and inspiration. Leave the track, though don't tromp through some sensitive or regenerating environment. Talk to others you encounter along the way.

Walt Calahan
24-Jan-2006, 05:58
Speaking of lens wraps.

When I have a lot of bellows extension, say when shooting with a Nikkor 600/800/1200 convertible lens on 8x10, I fold up the lens wrap and put it between the camera bed and the bellows. This gently lifts the middle of the bellows, helps damp any wind sway in the bellows, and prevents the bellows from sagging, due to its weight, into the image circle.

Kevin M Bourque
24-Jan-2006, 06:42
I use a soft insulated lunch box for 4x5 film holders. I got one at WalMart a few years back. It holds the film holders like it was made for them.

Carry a film holder into the store with you so you make sure you get the right size.

Also, keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and your roll film in a fanny pack.

Geert
24-Jan-2006, 07:41
Carry a film holder into the store with you so you make sure you get the right size.

the right size is that of a 6-pack :-)

G

Juergen Sattler
24-Jan-2006, 07:53
I use a Xbox carry case to hold up to eight 8x10 holders - got it at Target, it's cheap and very sturdy and the holders fit beautifully. For 4x5 use Grafmatic holders mainly - cuts down on the clutter and the weight.

Bruce Schultz
24-Jan-2006, 07:56
For a lens wrap, I use the pants cuff retainer that is used with waders to prevent pants legs from riding up while wearing chest waders. Mine came with a pair of waders, but you can buy them for less than $10. I lost one the other day, but of course I had a spare. I also use one for my spot meter case. They secure with velcro.

I bought several large carabiners from Home Depot for only $3 each. I use one to secure my wood tripod to the backpack. They aren't strong enough to hold a lot of weight like a climbing carabiner but they help secure lots of things.

Anyone have a cheap, practical idea for preventing a billowing dark cloth from blocking your view while trying to compose a shot in a stiff side wind?

Steve J Murray
24-Jan-2006, 08:19
I store and carry my lenses in empty CD holder cases. They are cheap and have a zipper all the way around and are just the right size.

Mark_3632
24-Jan-2006, 08:39
Never, ever use a plastic trash bag as a ground cover in the snow when you are on even the slightest incline.

Frank--eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww

John Brownlow
24-Jan-2006, 09:07
Snowshoes, and one of those tough green garbage bags. This way you can photograph in a blizzard if you want. Keep the garbage bag over the camera until you're ready to shoot. Detachable optical finders (I have them in 4x5 and 6x17 format, and the Noblex has one too) are brilliant for scouting the shot without uncovering the camera. Figure out exactly where the camera goes first.

Ken Lee
24-Jan-2006, 09:29
Wrap pipe insulation around metal tripod legs and secure with Duct Tape superuser(learned this at a Western Mass Large Format gathering a few winters ago). Cheap and effective: keeps your hands from freezing to the tripod legs, and makes things more comfortable when carrying.

Instead of "photo trays", get small plastic clothing storage "boxes". (learned from Carl Weese)

Kevin M Bourque
24-Jan-2006, 09:59
I always carry a small piece of black mat board with a rectangular hole in it. I use it for composition. The camera only gets set up after I find something with the "viewer".

I second the notion of covering the tripod legs with pipe insulation.

CXC
24-Jan-2006, 10:05
Put empty filmholders into their own ziploc bag with 'EMPTY' written across it in big letters. I haven't shot an empty one since I developed this sophisticated methodology. Also good for distinguishing between TRI-X and EKTA.

Use an iPod to discourage interruptions from gawkers. Actually, all you need is to be wearing the headphones; I don't know why, but people are less likely to disturb you if they think you are listening to music than if they merely see that you are involved in a complicated and error-prone LF camera set up.

Just before shooting, imagine the final print, framed, hanging on the wall. Does it really have a chance of being a keeper? If not, fold 'er up and go find the next one.

Graham Patterson
24-Jan-2006, 11:00
Fresh film holders have the darkslide end at the open end of the ziplock bag. When I have exposed both sheets, the holder goes back in the bag with the darkslides down. Easy to see which are which, reduces the chance of grabbing a used holder in the heat of the moment, and reduces the chance of pulling the slide by accident on exposed film because the clip wasn't turned. It doesn't help with inserting a part-used holder the wrong way round, though!

ronald lamarsh
24-Jan-2006, 11:03
To John Kasian as to CD's if I'm roadtripping I prefer George Thorogood, Roy Rodgers and the Rolling Stones.

Ken Lee
24-Jan-2006, 11:27
For b&w sky scenes, use a polarizer + yellow filter, rather than an Orange filter. Just as much darkening of sky is possible, with no less impact on <a href="http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/gallery/cornfield.htm" target="blank">foliage<a>. Meter through the combination of filters, before attaching to lens. Rotate the polarizer according to taste.

Craig Wactor
24-Jan-2006, 12:18
Instead of paying $75 for a BTZS elastic focussing cloth, I bought an XXXL black windbreaker with lining to use with my 11x14. Almost no light gets through it, and it has a sinch-string on the bottom that lets me tighten it perfectly around the back of the camera. I can put my hands in through the sleeves to use a loupe, and unzip it as much as I want to be able to breath comfortably. Best $18 investment I ever made. If it gets cold on the walk back to the car, I can also use it as a jacket!

Scott Fleming
24-Jan-2006, 12:30
Jumpin Judas Priest! I had hoped I'd get a few tips but I had no idea. This is really great. I'm filing a bunch of these and adopting several immediately. Thanks everyone. Don't stop.

Ken Lee
24-Jan-2006, 12:31
Correction: Yellow filter has less impact on foliage. Sometimes, it will often bring out texture in leaves, compared to Orange, which often darkens foliage to look like black leather.

David Karp
24-Jan-2006, 12:32
To store lenses on Technika-type boards, I use plastic 4x6 index card cases with pieces of foam rubber stuck on the ends. I can hold at least two smaller lenses in one case: Fuji W 125mm f/5.6 plus Caltar II-E 210mm f/6.8, or Nikkor M 300mm f/9 plus Fuji C 450mm f/12.5. I have not tried it, but if I thinned the foam a bit, I might be able to fit three. Larger lenses like a 90mm or 75mm fit in their own case with a big piece of foam at either end. I have not tried it, but it might be possible to combine a smaller lens with one of these larger lenses in each case. This system also works with Crown Graphic boards, and I suspect would work with Toyo field and other 4x4 boards as well. In paraticularly dusty areas, I have also used tupperware or similar containers to hold a lens.

Office supply stores sell a device that has two spring clamps on it. One grabs on to a part (that the manufacturer supplies) that is stuck to a computer monitor, the other holds a piece of paper. It is used by touch typists to re-type a document, or type corrections, etc. I threw away the piece that sticks to the monitor and use it to shade my lenses. I clip one side to the front standard of the camera, and use the other side to grab a small gray card that I cut down and carry in my backpack. Put the gray side down and position the arm to block the sun.

I use a Kelty Redwing backpack, which has pockets on each side to carry cross country skis. I put one of my tripod legs in the pocket, and don't have to carry it by hand. The suspension system on the Redwing is very good, so it does not cause the back to get crooked on my back. To do this I had to remove the pipe insulation from one of the tripod legs.

My backpack usually includes a small tupperware that holds a Rodenstock lens wrench, extra cable release, lens cleaning cloth, lens brush, extra Toyo 3.6 loupe, and other little extra items that may come in handy in an emergency.

I can't remember my reciprocity corrections or many of the filter factors, so I made some small cards on the computer with reciprocity corrections on one side and the filter factors on the other, using Avery computer card stock. I also made cards with the information for the focus on the near and far, move the focus 1/2 way between method (see www.largeformatphotography.info/fstop.html) on one side and exposure estimates for different lighting conditions on the other in case my light meter quits on me. The cards are laminated with self-adhesive lamination material by Avery. I carry these in my pockets and have extra copies in my backpack and in that Tupperware.

Several websites have printable millimeter scales. I attached these to my Crown Graphic and Walker Titan using two sided carpet tape so I could use the above-mentioned focusing technique. These are also laminated with that Avery self-adhesive stuff.

For a while, I developed 4x5 negatives in hangers using some Tupperware-like containers that fit just about perfectly. Much less expensive and easier to store than the rubber tanks. The tops were great for locking down the container and keeping the air out.

David Karp
24-Jan-2006, 12:35
This is really great.

Hey, maybe we can put a jump direct to this thread from the homepage, so people will have access to it forever, without having to search for it.

Alternatively, I volunteer to categorize and summarize it, and it can have a link to continuing additions. (It might not happen right away, but I would get it done eventually.)

What do you think?

Ken Lee
24-Jan-2006, 12:52
I think this ought to be a feature of the site, to which tips could be added over time.

Ken Lee
24-Jan-2006, 12:55
... with accompanying illustrations where available.

Harley Goldman
24-Jan-2006, 16:51
I carry a space blanket in my photo pack. It is quite compact folded up. I spread it out to set my pack on in mud, sand, snow and water. If I ever get stuck in a bad spot and cold weather, I won't freeze to death either.

Larry Gebhardt
24-Jan-2006, 18:47
Wrap your metal tripod legs in gaffers tape. Protects your hands from the cold, holds up better than pipe insulation, and if you ever need a piece of tape to hold something you have a ready supply.

Just today I could have used a small piece, but I hadn't wrapped the new tripod yet, as I didn't think I would need it on the CF legs. I didn't to keep my hands warm, but I missed my tape supply.

Kirk Gittings
24-Jan-2006, 18:58
Best lubrication for field camera knobs? Pedros Ice Wax for bicycle chains. Dry's like a semi-soft wax and doesn't collect grime. One small bottle will last you two reincarnations.

eric mac
24-Jan-2006, 19:11
A lot of us use a #90 Wratten filter to preview our shots in black and white. If you are lucky you can find an actual filter in the junk bin at your no longer in business camera store. The Zone vi ones on that auction site seemed a little too pricey for me. I ended buying a gel filter which is not really made to be handled. I took it the local Office Max/Depot and had it laminated. It ended up being wavy from the heat, but it does the job. I punched a hole and put it on an id necklace and wear it when I go shooting. Alternately you could purchase one of those plastic single sport holder and use that as the holder.

My final tip is to make sure you pull the darkslide closest to the lens and not the one in the back. ;>)

Eric

Hans Berkhout
24-Jan-2006, 19:39
If the dark cloth is too much to carry or it is flaping too much in the wind: pull jacket over your head, slip neck opening over gg/camera back and pull up the top runner of zipper so it fits snugly and tight over camera rear standard. Stand back from camera at proper distance to compose and focus, and adjust lower runner of zipper. Your arms should now be out of the sleeves, get to cameras controls through the armpit (unzipped) openings. Have loupe ready in pant pocket for easy grab. Try it, you'll like it.

John Kasaian
24-Jan-2006, 19:52
Ron LaMarsh,

Sons of The Pioneers are pretty good as is Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys. Trouble is they are a little too much should the cd gets stuck and you have to listen to the same cd over and over again, like between Penticton and Las Lunas. I guess that won't happen with cds, but Billy Joel got stuck n my tape deck from 1987-1992 (ugh!!) so I'm a bit gun shy about my tunes.

Nacio Jan Brown
24-Jan-2006, 20:38
For a darkcloth I do something similar to some tips above. I use a black cotton/poly sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off and the arm holes stitched up. Instead of attaching it to the camera and putting my head inside to focus I find it easier to wear it: I put my head through the neck hole and let the body just rest on my shoulders. When I want to compose/focus I lift the body over my head and drape it over the camera back. I thought of cutting the sleeves short to allow me to put a hand inside with a lupe but I find that the bit of light that gets in from below along with my hand is not a bother. One of these days I'm going to add a drawstring to the waist to tighten it up a bit. Also, for keeping 4" gel filters organized nothing beats the wallet-style cases and padded sleeves intended for CDs. njb

Keith S. Walklet
24-Jan-2006, 21:47
I second the "framer" card, although I prefer to use the same white board I mat my prints with. I find the white mat makes it is easier to visualize the image as a print on my wall. Charlie Cramer gave my first one years ago. I suppose I should have saved it! LOL.

I now cut my own out of the waste stock from 8x10 windows. The cards have become so much a part of the way I isolate images that I really feel lost without one and it is the first thing I give students in my workshops. No need to haul out the camera. This one is autofocus with a full-range zoom, and needs no batteries.

And I think you all probably know my darkcloth preferences for dealing with wind. ;-)

William Mortensen
24-Jan-2006, 23:19
I have a little loop of lightweight bungee cord tied around the bottom of one of the legs of my Ries tripod. A quick wrap-around the other legs, and I can hike with the legs held together rather than flopping around separately.

Oh, and if you travel the back-country and have a little flash camera along, remember the flash makes a great little emergency beakon at night. (Old cross-country hang-gliding tip.)

Bob Fowler
25-Jan-2006, 09:44
I keep an assortment of small sized pieces of foam-core in my case to prop up the bellows when using long extensions. I also keep a 1" wide roll of white waterproof first-aid tape to hold them together in sometimes odd shapes. :-)

Brent Doerzman
25-Jan-2006, 10:06
Great thread, and lots of great ideas!! Keep 'em coming!

My contribution is a shortcut for determining bellows compensation quickly. I took a small 3 foot key chain tape measure, and on the back marked it off in 5mm increments. I then marked the bellows comp. numbers for each of the three lenses I need it for (135mm, 80mmm, 210mm) in different colors. Now, it's as easy as putting it up to the camera and immediately seeing the correct compensation.

Here are a couple pics:

Tape (http://www.doerzmanphoto.com/images/NPN7/bellows2.jpg)
Comp. numbers (http://www.doerzmanphoto.com/images/NPN7/tapemeasure1.jpg)

Ken Lee
25-Jan-2006, 13:28
Carry a spare battery for your light meter, and/or pack an inexpensive, small old-fashioned self-powered light meter.

Scott Fleming
26-Jan-2006, 19:31
OK I got another one. I've heard a few people complain of problems with their Gitzo CF tripods after getting them wet. I have photographed with mine in water many times ... two joints under water ... and not had a problem yet. Never taken it apart for cleaning or drying yet either. What I HAVE done is drill a 1/8" hole through the bottom of each foot. ( I don't have spikes ... just the hard rubber caps ) After using it in water I make sure and use a toothpick or something to remove any mud from the holes and just let the water drain out. I always just let it dry out in the house at normal room temperature. No problems so far. YMMV

otzi
27-Jan-2006, 05:23
A lot of us use a #90 Wratten filter to preview our shots in black and white. --Eric Mac

I find a cheap pair of welding goggles are good for seeing in B+W. Some of the cheep asian junk ones seem to practically obliterate all colour sans the green they come in. It's just me but the dark green filtering effect also helps determine where the shadows are going to lay.

neil poulsen
27-Jan-2006, 05:33
I've got a couple.

I found that some 5/8" or 3/4" by about 3.5" removable labels fit just right in the space at the top of 4x5 negative carriers. (e.g Lisco, Fidelity, etc.) It doesn't interfere with taking photos. I ran my labels through a laserjet to put lines and an abbreviated id for each line to fill in negative related info like focal length, subject, location, development (+1, +2, N, etc.), aperture, shutter speed, f-stop, type of film, etc. I put these labels on the holder when I load film and write the type of film on the label.

This seems like a lot of info, but it all fits fine. If you get the right Avery labels, you can print a page of labels at a time. It's easier just writing this info on the negative carrier versus carrying a separate notebook and then numbering the negative carrier to maintain traceability. Being removable labels, when you remove the negative, the label can follow, so that you don't lose track of the information. One could even paste these in a notebook that one keeps at home.

Second Tip:

It pained me when we moved and I had to tear out all the pipe that I had carefully installed when I built my first darkroom. So for darkroom number 2, I purchased about a 4'x6' sheet of 3/4" plywood and mounted all the copper piping on the back and all the water fixtures, water temperature mixer and electrical timers, thermometer, power center, etc. on the front. I drilled holes in this board for the copper tubing to come through and connect to valves in the correct locations. I mounted two 4' 2x2's vertically on the wall that have bolts coming out so that it's easy to mount this board onto these 4' vertical frails. I connects to the plumbing through two short screw on hoses.

It took a long time to sweat the copper and build this thing. But, the next time I move, my darkroom room moves with me.

Ken Lee
11-Feb-2006, 14:53
"Office supply stores sell a device that has two spring clamps on it. One grabs on to a part (that the manufacturer supplies) that is stuck to a computer monitor, the other holds a piece of paper. It is used by touch typists to re-type a document, or type corrections, etc. I threw away the piece that sticks to the monitor and use it to shade my lenses. I clip one side to the front standard of the camera, and use the other side to grab a small gray card that I cut down and carry in my backpack. Put the gray side down and position the arm to block the sun."

I looked in Staples for something like this, but couldn't find it. Do you have a name for this item ?

John Kasaian
11-Feb-2006, 16:09
Perhaps the greatest and most important tip of all: Never bribe a cop with counterfeit money! ;-)

Vick Vickery
11-Feb-2006, 16:43
When do you get out, John K.?

Ralph Barker
11-Feb-2006, 16:44
Ken - typically, these items are called "copy holders".

John - that just points out the advantage of being a master printer. ;-)

David Karp
11-Feb-2006, 18:59
Ken,

Here it is, at Staples.com:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=19993&cmArea=SEARCH

David Karp
11-Feb-2006, 19:03
Well now, thanks to Ken for asking that question. It caused me to come up with a new suggestion.

While searching, I found that Office Depot has a version of that copy holder with an LED light on it. Check here: http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=599968&&An=text.

I carry a small flashlight with me for a variety of reasons, including placing it in a photograph where I want to focus, and pointing it back at the camera. This is handy in a dark interior when using a wide angle lens. It is quite easy to focus on the light. With this little doo dad, you could use it as I use the version without the flashlight, and you could also use it like I do with the flashlight, with the added advantage of being able to clip it onto something to hold it in place while you go back to the camera to focus.

At first I laughed when I saw the device, then the gears started turning.

Ted Harris
11-Feb-2006, 19:35
Get a pair of Trax at your local outfitter. They are "chains" for your boots. Basically a set of strong rubber bands with wires crisscrossing the bottoms that slip over your soles. Keep you upright and mobile on the ice when you are lugging and shooting. Indispensible on this part of the world if you lioke to shoot in the cold.

Nigel Smith
12-Feb-2006, 16:19
Most of my 4x5 film holders have dodgy (loose) darkslide locks (which reminds me that's another way to stuff up a sheet of film.. have the dark slide come out while the holder is still in your bag!). I put rubber bands on them to make sure they stay put.

Ken Lee
12-Feb-2006, 16:40
Dave - You're a genius. Thanks for the links ! I can't wait for the blizzard to stop, so that I can go out and get one of these things.

Paul Kent
12-Feb-2006, 18:31
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet: ensure that your lightmeter, headlamp, and GPS all use the same type of battery. Carry just a couple of spares and you have lots of redundancy.

David Karp
12-Feb-2006, 18:39
Ken,

Necessity is the mother of invention! Some of my favorite photo supply stores are Target, the drug store, The 99 cent only store, Office Depot, and the like.

The flashlight trick is an old architectural photographer trick that I learned from a friend of mine. I'll bet Kirk has used it a bunch of times.

John Brownlow
12-Feb-2006, 21:11
If you need snowshoes, so does your tripod. I just got some of the Manfrotto snowshoes and they are amazing. I was shooting in 3' deep powder and it was solid as a rock... and none of that leg-splaying you get when you try to push the legs down into deep snow.