PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss 135mm F/3.5 classic, How good is it ?

Torontoamateur
29-Jan-2021, 06:40
I see these for sale and at a high price. Are they really that much better than the Apo lenses of equivalent MM? If I buy one will it be that much better ? Please only reply if you have used one. I know they have limited movement . I will use it for portraits. Thank You .

Bernice Loui
29-Jan-2021, 09:42
Zeiss 135mm f3.5 Planar? It just covers 4x5 was originally designed as a lens set (75mm Biogon, 135mm Planar, 250mm Sonnar) for Linhof Technika with cams for the rangefinder. They have become collectable for the Zeiss brand in recent years. There was a time when they were not so desirable or collectable. See the old KEH flyer page with one of these Zeiss 135mm f3.5 Planar listed $199.

Market price does not determine actual optical performance, it is merely what the collector market is willing to pay as perceived value. As for optical performance, it's good, but not astounding. Does have it's own personality as with nearly every LF lens. You'll need to try the specific lens in question to see if it works for your image making goals.

Bernice

Dan Fromm
29-Jan-2021, 10:04
OP, see http://www.arnecroell.com/ zeissoberkochen.pdf

Corran
29-Jan-2021, 10:24
If you like / prefer the look of it, then it may be worth more than the cheaper option.

Also check for the Schneider Xenotar 135mm f/3.5, very similar design. Example:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xD4_HKBxRd0/T3q61uEBjqI/AAAAAAAAAtg/Yeo0m2_XaLM/s800/0212ss.jpg

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
29-Jan-2021, 11:12
I have owned a few Planar and other similar lenses like the Xenotar. As far as I see, the only advantage to these lenses is that they are fast. If you don't need fast, then these lenses are not for you. At f5.6 or f8 these lenses are no sharper than a modern plasmat. However these lenses are sharper and more contrasty open wide than some other fast lenses, like the f3.5 Tessar, Xenar, or triplets.

So, do you need the extra stop and a half?

All that said, some people like how these lenses display out of focus areas.

Bernice Loui
29-Jan-2021, 11:17
:)
Goes back to your image goals and what is needed to produce the image in mind. There are no absolute ideal single lens for all image making needs, it depends on what is needed to get it did. For some the Planar-Xenotar _ Gauss lens formula absolutely meets their needs, others not at all.

Again, only way to know for certain is to try the lens to see if it works for your needs.

Bernice

I have owned a few Planar and other similar lenses like the Xenotar. As far as I see, the only advantage to these lenses is that they are fast. If you don't need fast, then these lenses are not for you. At f5.6 or f8 these lenses are no sharper than a modern plasmat. However these lenses are sharper and more contrasty open wide than some other fast lenses, like the f3.5 Tessar, Xenar, or triplets.

So, do you need the extra stop and a half?

All that said, some people like how these lenses display out of focus areas.

Dan Fromm
29-Jan-2021, 12:43
Side comment re Xenotars. If the 135s behave like my 80/2.8s (I have one each Xenotar and Planar) a 135 Xenotar will have less coverage than a 135 Planar.