PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 5x7 Linhof Technika invited

John Kasaian
22-Jan-2006, 17:01
There are times and places where my 8x10 just can't get where I want to go. My "next best" is an old 5x7 Speed Graphic which isn't so speedy---the rail the front standard rides upon is out of whack and it takes a time consuming effort to jiggle the thing back in to close 'er up. This isn't a good thing since part of the attraction for me for shooting handheld 5x7 is speed---no tripod to mess with.

This has me thinking about 5x7 Linhofs. I know they're heavy---much heavier than my Speeder---but I find the ability to focus using cammed lenses quite attractive(they are cammed on the 5x7, right??)

What do you 5x7 Linhoffers think abouth your cameras? Which models(used of course) should I look for and what are the ball park prices for good examples?

An alternative would be a Crown Special, but I'd prefer working with a 5x7.

Ben Calwell
22-Jan-2006, 17:49
John,

I've owned a Linhof Tech III 5x7 for about five years. Mine doesn't have any cams; I just focus on the ground glass. I think mine is 50-plus years old. It's solid and smooth, but heavy. I got mine at Midwest Photo, and if I remember correctly, they were asking about $750 to $800. I got it and a Schneider lens (180mm) in an even trade for another camera that I didn't use much.
The front standard on mine is supposed to tilt backward, but it won't do it. It doesn't have front tilt.
The back movements are smooth and easy to operate, but the front rise is stiff -- the controlling knob for that is hard to turn (lubrication would probably help). There's a little bit of front swing, but it's hard to engage on mine.
The focus is as smooth as butter, but the focus lock lever is a little loose. In my experience, lens boards are hard to find for it.
I guess my biggest complaint about the camera is its weight and lack of front tilt. The positives are that it's a well-made tank and has good bellows draw (in excess of 20 inches, I think). It has a solid, precise feel to it.
I'm no expert on this, but I think Linhof made a Tech IV 5x7, which would probably be a better choice, and it might even have front tilt. Those, undoubtedly, would be more expensive than my old beater. I think Midwest had a Tech IV 5x7 a while back, and they were asking more than $2,000 for it. For that kind of money, I would buy maybe a 5x7 Canham or other, newer camera.
Good luck on your decision.

Bill_1856
22-Jan-2006, 18:24
I've often lusted after a 5x7 Technika, then I remember that at times I'm exhausted carrying my 4x5 Tech around. Yes, it is rugged, but it's also heavy and clumsy (compared with my 4x5 Crown).

May I suggest that you send your 5x7 Speed off to one of the excellent repairmen and have it refurbished, everything fixed, and brought up to usable standards. If it were me, I'd also have the focal plane shutter removed, and a Maxwell screen installed.

Frank Petronio
22-Jan-2006, 18:52
I shot for a couple of hours with Edgar Praus's 5x7 Tech IV. Beautiful camera but so heavy you might as well shoot 11x14. Maybe you could use a "whatever" brand 5x7 and mark the rail for infinty, 50 feet, and 20 feet for your lenses - that would get you 80% of what a cammed lens might do! But really you'd have to be on Steroids to handhold it - I don't know what Ole T. does in his photo though - I guess those Norse are just manly men.

If you can find a Wista Rittereck it is an excellent 5x7 camera that is half the weight of a Tech while retaining most of the best features (metal, bomb-proof clamshell) and more movements, but no rangefinder. I had one in the early 1980s and still kick myself...

If you are really nuts, you could take a Hugo Meyer RF from an old Graphic and make it work with a 5x7 and a dedicated lens, couldn't you?

John Kasaian
22-Jan-2006, 19:12
I really like my old 5x7 Speeder, the problem with getting it repaired is---no parts! Most of the 4x5 Graphic stuff dosen't translate in 5x7(at least the part I need!) The alternative, removing the rails and trying to bend hem into shape on a jig would risk breakage which definately wouldn't be a good thing. Maybe this would be a chance I need to take. If Fred Lustig is still in business I'll take it to him (any excuse is a good excuse for me to go to Reno) but if He can't help me, does anyone know of a repair shop that can? BTW I contacted Flutot's some time ago and Carol dosen't have the part :-( Perhaps Marflex?

BTW, just how heavy is a 5x7 Technika? Would it be over 9 or 10#?

Frank Petronio
22-Jan-2006, 19:20
I never weighed one but I think it is 20#! It felt like a 12-inch concrete block from being a mason's tender.

Bill_1856
22-Jan-2006, 20:48
There's Richard Ritter at www.lg4mat.net. Anything he can't fix, he can make a new one. And of course our old friend Grimes.

Leonard Robertson
22-Jan-2006, 21:39
I've often wondered about the weight of a 5X7 Tech. I Googled and couldn't find much info. I dug through my old Linhof catalogs. The '60s catalogs covering the IV seem to skim over this detail. Finally in a '50s catalog the weight of a Tech III was given as 4.8kg. Isn't that about 10 1/2 pounds? I don't know if that includes The Finder and The Grip. I suspect the the Tech IV was the same weight or more. If a Tech does what you want it too, maybe it is worth carrying a few extra pounds. My 5X7 Speed weighs 6 1/2 pounds. If you are thinking of a camera to do "everything", then the Tech movements may be worth adding four pounds of weight and lightening your wallet $1500-2500 (or more. If you want cammed lens/lenses you probably want to get a camera that has them included). If you are primarily handholding, I suspect it is worth fixing your Speed. Straightening your Speed front track may be worth trying first. Having a new track made wouldn't be impossible, but you'll need to find a retired or amateur machinist who works for beer. I have a Kodak Premo No. 9 5X7 that only weighs 4 1/2 pounds and is quite a bit smaller than a Speed. I've thought of grafting a 4X5 Graphic optical viewfinder with custom mask and accessory rangefinder onto it to make it a handholdable beast. The No. 9 isn't common on eBay, but when they do show up, they don't bring as much as the earlier 5X7 Premos, since they aren't as pretty (see http://www.nwmangum.com/Kodak/Premo9-1.html).

Rob Vinnedge
22-Jan-2006, 22:37
John,

I loved my 5X7 Technika V but sacrificed it last week in order to buy ULF film from Kodak and Ilford. At 12.4 lbs. but coupled with a carbon fiber Gitzo. I got around just fine. The Linhofs are beautifully engineered and easy to field strip and reassemble, which is what I did when I CLA'd it and replaced the old leatherette with new. Perhaps you saw it on ebay a couple of weeks ago. I do not photograph in a way that requires the rangefinder, choosing the loupe and ground glass instead, but the rangefinder does work well. Parts and service are readily available through Marflex and ebay. The Linhof 5X7's are rugged and dependable, and I can't say enough about them.

Thomas Vaehrmann
22-Jan-2006, 23:55
Technikas are fine cameras and can used hand-hold. Best you look for an example with cammed lenses because the cam was adjusted to the actual focal length of the lens. The 5x7 Technika III has also an rotating back but the older versions for metal film-holders can't be chandged to the modern international backs. So check this when buying. Actually I've only 4x5 but the 5x7 are similar, the can be cla and restored easily. 5x7 come by cheap because the film-size ins't common any more and it was the standard LF format in Germany for a long time.

wfwhitaker
23-Jan-2006, 19:52
John,

I have a 4x5 Tech III and a 5x7 Tech III, the latter with a Tech IV back. Compared to the 4x5, the 5x7 is a beast. Perhaps others can handhold it, but I feel much safer using a tripod. In fact, a Ries A-100 tripod isn't too much and the combination is rock solid. Of course, it's rock heavy, too. Camera weighs just about as much as my 8x10 Kodak Master. I frankly can't see using a rangefinder on it, but that's just me. In fact, I removed the rangefinder from mine, not because it saved a lot of weight, but just to simplify the rig. Using the rangefinder limits which lenses you can use anyway.

Brian J Nelson
25-Jan-2006, 02:28
John,

I have two 5x7 tech V's. I've all but stopped using my 4x5 Master for several reasons. First I can focus my 65 and 72 lenses using the V's short focusing rail. This works with both 4x5 and 5x7 backs on the camera. Second, I can use the nikkor T 600 because there is enough bellows and rail to do so. Third, Canham 6x17 back! enough said. Everything just works so well on this camera. It's backpackable. Or carry it on an ATV (that's a joke in reference to another thread here) The camera is so solid, efficient, precise and smooth. It's also heavy compared to a wooden field camera (but lighter than the Toyo 810M) Having said that, I've never wished I had a different camera. Maybe when I get older I'll reconsider this but for now I love it and have a spare just in case something happens to the first one.

Bob Salomon
25-Jan-2006, 05:10
" First I can focus my 65 and 72 lenses"

The 72mm focuses on the Master on the outer rails just like the 90 does. You don't need the 5x7 to focus the 72mm.

tom north
26-Jan-2006, 13:44
John,

I have a 5 x 7 master tech III that I purchased on ebay for a little over $500. The camera had not been taken care of and is not in the best of shape. Typically the bellows is usually shot after 50 years of wear and improper storage. I purchased a new bellows from an outfit called CameraBellows in the UK for a little over $100. Figuring out how the camera works has been the biggest challenge. The front standard locks in a V-shaped groove that is cut in the bed. This groove is not cut in the factory. Get a copy of "Linhof Technique" published around the mid to late 50's to learn how to operate the camera. I have no problem tilting the front, the bed lowers and you tilt the same way as a speed graphic. Parts cannot be found for most 5 x 7 tech III's, so buy one in good shape. Otherwise the camera appears to be well engineered and I am really looking forward to using it. I will be removing the rang finder on mine so if you want it I will give you a good price on it.

Good luck

Gene
9-Feb-2006, 12:15
My 5x7 Teck V:
Love the 5x7, but I keep an 35mm XPan Panoramic for grab shots.
I use the Canham 617 back too, 5x7 or the 4x5 reduction back. I used to carry a Fuji 617 too, another thing to lug around they all add up..
Per the above posting “72mm XL works on all the formats with the same 5x7 Teck"...

HELP?
I have an extra ground glass assembly.
Problem - it is missing the two (rounded/grooved) pins which secure the ground glass assembly onto the rotating back.
QUESTION: Any source for the pins? I may just file down a pair machine screws – fitting the thread in the ground glass assembly’s (threaded) frame if I were a machinist – I’d turn em out.

How about a break down (drawing) parts list for the camera?

Thanks

John Z.
9-Feb-2006, 13:38
I have a 5x7, and while it is heavy, I would still say it can be used hand-held to take photos-as long as you have a captive subject. I have taken some good portraits with it. It is probably the only 5x7 that can be used this way, since it has a rangefinder. I also have a Gowlandflex 5x7, but although it is much lighter, it is also more bulky, and harder to use .

Repairs, including new cams for lenses can be made by Richard Ritter--I put a Fuji 300 Telephoto lens on my camera with good results, and Richard made a custom cam for the lens.

Bob Salomon
9-Feb-2006, 19:03
"it is missing the two (rounded/grooved) pins which secure the ground glass assembly onto the rotating back. QUESTION: Any source for the pins?"

Linhof service is Marflex in the USA. Have you asked them? Marflex@aol.com

Bob Salomon
9-Feb-2006, 19:04
"I have a 5 x 7 master tech III"

The Master Technika is only made in 4x5.

The 57 Technika was made after WWII as the II, the IV and the V. There was no Master 57.

Gene
10-Feb-2006, 05:57
Thank you so much for the email address of the Linhof service - Marflex.

I have never needed any service nor have ever investigated parts purchase. My 5x7 Technika V just keeps on working, never a problem beyond my preventive maintenance and cleaning. It is when I buy a used item on the big auction on the World Wide Web that I am presented with missing parts.

Thanks again for the prompt rely(s) and the Richard Ritter (address? ) production of cams for the 5x7. I use my cam/240mm with the rangefinder. I have an orphaned cam for a 120mm (Tech V) I'd like to see if he could grind it down to use with my 110mm XL. ... Hay ! .....some big press flash bulbs and the rangefinder might be interesting!!!!

Gene

rknewcomb
8-Apr-2010, 09:15
I thought I'd add some more accurate information for anyone who might look at this later doing a search on Technika 5x7s.
The post war Technika 5x7 do indeed weigh about 12 lbs. The model lll & lV do not have direct forward tilt on the front standard. You could get forward tilt by dropping the bed or by using the moves found in the rear of the camera. You had to go to the V or Master - whatever they called the last model to get direct forward tilt.
The prewar 5x7 Technika ll weighs about 6 1/2 lbs. Have about the same moves as the post war Tech lll & lV and use a different lens board then the later models.
Someone above wrote that these older preWar models could not be changed from the 13x18cm European style holders to the more modern international double style 5x7 holders - this is not correct. The flat design of the back of the older prewar cameras presents an ideal surface to which one can adapt a modern back such as a Kodak, Burke & James, Graflex etc. I have seen it done a couple of times. In fact at the time, Linhof offered the option of a 5x7 camera with a Kodak back instead of the European one.

Bob Salomon
8-Apr-2010, 11:46
I thought I'd add some more accurate information for anyone who might look at this later doing a search on Technika 5x7s.
The post war Technika 5x7 do indeed weigh about 12 lbs. The model lll & lV do not have direct forward tilt on the front standard. You could get forward tilt by dropping the bed or by using the moves found in the rear of the camera. You had to go to the V or Master - whatever they called the last model to get direct forward tilt.
The prewar 5x7 Technika ll weighs about 6 1/2 lbs. Have about the same moves as the post war Tech lll & lV and use a different lens board then the later models.
Someone above wrote that these older preWar models could not be changed from the 13x18cm European style holders to the more modern international double style 5x7 holders - this is not correct. The flat design of the back of the older prewar cameras presents an ideal surface to which one can adapt a modern back such as a Kodak, Burke & James, Graflex etc. I have seen it done a couple of times. In fact at the time, Linhof offered the option of a 5x7 camera with a Kodak back instead of the European one.

Per Linhof, the 5x7 Technika III weighed 10.5 lbs as was the IIIE version, the V (as I noted earlier, there never was a Master in any size other then the 4x5, weighed 12 lbs with rangefinder and 11.75 lbs without.

rknewcomb
8-Apr-2010, 12:06
[QUOTE=Bob Salomon - HP Marketing;577756]Per Linhof, the 5x7 Technika III weighed 10.5 lbs as was the IIIE version, the V (as I noted earlier, there never was a Master in any size other then the 4x5, weighed 12 lbs with rangefinder and 11.75 lbs without.

Bob,
The 1937 Linhof catalog lists the 13x18cm Technika as weighing 6 lbs 5 ozs. This is the technika with the movements on the rear, not the precision camera without movements. It is called a Technika ll in the catalog.
I have one in my possession and my scale shows it to be right at 6.5 pounds.
Robert N.

Frank Petronio
8-Apr-2010, 12:53
You could always take a 5x7 Tech and drill lightening holes, shorten the bellows, remove the rear movements ;-)

Robert Hughes
8-Apr-2010, 12:57
Heh. Reminds me of those olde-tyme bicycle racers that would drill out their bikes to lighten them: cranks, seat tubes, brake levers... just one more ounce, c'mon baby... :eek:

Bob Salomon
8-Apr-2010, 13:00
[QUOTE=Bob Salomon - HP Marketing;577756]Per Linhof, the 5x7 Technika III weighed 10.5 lbs as was the IIIE version, the V (as I noted earlier, there never was a Master in any size other then the 4x5, weighed 12 lbs with rangefinder and 11.75 lbs without.

Bob,
The 1937 Linhof catalog lists the 13x18cm Technika as weighing 6 lbs 5 ozs. This is the technika with the movements on the rear, not the precision camera without movements. It is called a Technika ll in the catalog.
I have one in my possession and my scale shows it to be right at 6.5 pounds.
Robert N.

The Linhof book does not list the II. It instead lists the Techinika/Technika Standard/Technika Medizin which was made from 1936 and into the war, except for the 18x24cm which was made from 1938 to the end of the war.
The 13 x 18cm vesion is listed as 6.5 lbs. The 18 x 24cm weighed 22.25 lbs!
The pre war Technika Standard is what you are calling a II. The Medizin was the same camera except it had a special bdy covering which could be disinfected for use in pathology labs and operating rooms. It was available until after the war as a modified version of the III.

rknewcomb
8-Apr-2010, 13:43
The point was that not all 5x7 Technikas weigh 12 pounds.
The 1937 book lists the Standard and the Technika.
It lists the Technika 5x7 at 6 pounds 5oz in the printed page above.
The photo above is of a prewar Technika 5x7 that weighs 6 pounds 8ozs according to my scale.
Its a real life camera and I can read a scale.

Peter K
8-Apr-2010, 15:54
The pre war Technika Standard is what you are calling a II. The Medizin was the same camera except it had a special bdy covering which could be disinfected for use in pathology labs and operating rooms. It was available until after the war as a modified version of the III.
There was also the one and only "Technika 18x24 Medizin" sold in 1949 (!) to a photographer from Stuttgart/Germany. One can see this camera - and the owner sitting on a "double tube tripod" - in Linhof's catalogue from 1959 and also in the first issue of "Grossbildtechnik".

Peter

tom north
9-Apr-2010, 12:58
I love my old 5 x 7 Technika. I bought it in shambles from a guy in Caracus, stripped it apart, cleaned and lubed it. I found a guy in town who made me a couple of lensboards for a fraction of the price of a Linhoff. My camera is from about 1960 and has no front lens tilt, however I have no problem tilting it as far as I want. You drop the bed, raise the standard, and tilt away. I shoot a lot of archecture and have never ran into any restrictions whatsoever. I have shot with a lot of old and new cameras and love my Linhoff. Yes it is heavy but all of the standards, movements and rail lock down solid.

Tom

Bob Salomon
9-Apr-2010, 13:14
There was also the one and only "Technika 18x24 Medizin" sold in 1949 (!) to a photographer from Stuttgart/Germany. One can see this camera - and the owner sitting on a "double tube tripod" - in Linhof's catalogue from 1959 and also in the first issue of "Grossbildtechnik".

Peter

There is also a picture of it next to a 45 from the same year in the Linhof Camera Story book.

cjbroadbent
10-Apr-2010, 00:50
Repeating myself from an older thread - but I have to put in a good word for the Technika....
I had three (at the same time) and used them regularly over twenty years, sometimes all three in a day on different sets.
It might seem an irrational choice of camera for studio photography but here are a few reasons why.
I was never at peace with monorails. Too much breaking down and setting up every day. I don't shift much anyway. Monorails wear out - The Technikas never wear-out. I bought my three (plus 2 4x5s) used, as they cropped up on the market.
The Technika doesn't even need a case. It is like a tortoise. Nothing hangs out. You have to have used Sinar for a few years to appreciate that. The lens lives inside. (my lenses never came off, I have three 180s and a couple of never-used 210 which came with the cameras) The camera can sit there closed on the tripod in a dusty and hostile environment (set construction work) and will take a knock or two.
Linhof filmholders keep film flatter (buy them up!). Linhof lens boards are everywhere. I've used the rangefinder only once ever - so the cams are wasted on me but need to be there so as not to do damage when closing the camera (right, Bob?).
The newer 'jack' front raise is a pain compared to the older geared wheel. And the older drop and tilt front Is a pleasure.
I pick a format for a job following the path of least resistance and I've consumed more 13x18 film than all the other formats put together.

megamanJan
25-Feb-2024, 14:33
John,

Third, Canham 6x17 back! enough said. Everything just works so well on this camera.

Brian, could you please PM me (I can’t seem to PM you). I’d like to talk to you a little about how you use this back
On your 5x7 Technika please 😬

Mark J
25-Feb-2024, 14:48
Not everyone who posted in 2006 will respond to a PM !

djdister
25-Feb-2024, 16:04
Brian, could you please PM me (I can’t seem to PM you). I’d like to talk to you a little about how you use this back
On your 5x7 Technika please ��

You should send a note to the forum Linhof expert, Bob Salomon on this question. Having the Canham 6x17 back myself, I am guessing that it may be able to slide in when the ground glass back is pulled back all the way. Doing it this way and not using a 5x7 Graflok style back, you need 2 inches of clearance when pulling the ground glass frame away (in other words, it's like sliding a 2 inch thick film holder in front of the ground glass). It's not as nice as using Graflok sliders but it works.

https://www.canhamcameras.com/Roll%20film%20back.html