PDA

View Full Version : Drum Scanning recommendation

Erik Gould
22-Jan-2006, 17:00
Anyone have a good recommendation for drum scanning in the Boston area? I'd consider shipping it out too, if someone knows of a really great lab outside of the area. I'm scanning 4x5 trans.

Thanks,
erik

paulr
22-Jan-2006, 18:23
I heard there's a lab in Providence that always does a perfect job and never makes mistakes. Called "Colorlab" or something like that.

Frank Petronio
22-Jan-2006, 18:54
Not to take us down the rancourous path of a few weeks ago, but jeez Paul - a photolab named "Colorlab"? Isn't that almost worse than no advice at all?

Scott Fleming
22-Jan-2006, 19:02
www.dannyburk.com

Danny's a photographer's photographer and is known by many here.

Danny Burk
22-Jan-2006, 19:07
Thanks for the good word, Scott!

QT Luong
22-Jan-2006, 19:26
If you have large quantities (100+) to scan, email me privately.

Scott Rosenberg
22-Jan-2006, 19:29
here's another nod to danny burke... great photographer, great serivce TO photographers.

paulr
22-Jan-2006, 20:32
"a photolab named "Colorlab"? Isn't that almost worse than no advice at all?"

MUCH worse than no advice at all-- a dumb joke actually. Erik and I both worked at colorlab about 10 years ago. It was like the Bad News Bears of high end commercial labs. He recently sent me pictures of the place being demolished.

Ken Lee
22-Jan-2006, 21:22
If it has to be Drum scanning, then dunno. If you will settle for an Imacon scan, then try Dorian Labs in Arlington. They can tell you who does Drum scans in the area.

Larry Mendenhall
23-Jan-2006, 07:14
I'll chime in with the others recommending Danny Burk. He's done a great job on some 6x17 transparencies for me and has tossed in some good advice when asked.

Larry

Phong
23-Jan-2006, 08:58
I am in the Boston area and I do the occasional raw Imacon scan job for $15 each (600 Meg of less). You don't like, you don't pay. Raw means the only adjustment is for black and white points (no sharpening, no color correction, no digital spotting). My philosophy is that anything else is best done in Photoshop anyway. Contact me off-list if interested.

- Phong

Erik Gould
23-Jan-2006, 10:08
Thanks folks. The client "knows a guy", so it's out of my hands on this one, but I'm sure it will come up again.

""a photolab named "Colorlab"? Isn't that almost worse than no advice at all?""
"MUCH worse than no advice at all--" Indeed! Much worse. Stories about that place could fill a book. Certainly gave me a healthy skepticism towards all pro labs. Happily the place has been consigned to the dustbin of history.

Guy Tal
23-Jan-2006, 14:19
I'll add another vote for Danny Burk. His work is of the highest quality and you can call or email him directly rather than deal with a business front.

Guy

Joseph Kayne
23-Jan-2006, 20:19
I will also recommend Danny Burk.

Jim Peacock
24-Jan-2006, 21:00
I would go with Danny Burk also on scanning.

edkirkpatrick
12-Aug-2019, 12:25
Let me add my recommendation of Danny Burk. He did a great job on my 4x5 negs with a very quick turnaround.

Richard Boutwell
29-Aug-2019, 19:58
I'm near Philadelphia, and have been runing a Screen 8060 drum scanner for about 5 years, and the smaller 1045 for 5 years before that. The 8060 goes up to 12,000SPI native optical resolution, runs modern"ish" software, and is one of the best scanners ever made. Check it out here:

https://www.bwmastery.com/drum-scanning or https://www.lodima.org/digital-services

Ethan
2-Sep-2019, 07:31
I don't have any experience with them, but when I was searching for drum scanning services in the Boston area, I came across Singer Editions in Boston, which advertises drum scanning on their website

neildw
12-Nov-2019, 08:04
Using this thread.

I want to try and print some of my images.
And I want to get the best out of them.
I, myself have an Epson V800, but in my search to get the most out of it I was considering to Drum scan for once.
Would you reccommend it? To see the difference?

Tom Monego
12-Nov-2019, 14:38
There is or was a lab in Providence named Colorlab. I used them a lot when I lived down there, they were trustworthy. Never know if a lab is still around. From Google: Colorlab Practical Imaging. 1 Silver Spring St, Providence, RI 02904. (401) 272-4550.
Worth a phone call, still can't tell if they are still opened.

Ari
13-Nov-2019, 09:53
There is or was a lab in Providence named Colorlab. I used them a lot when I lived down there, they were trustworthy. Never know if a lab is still around. From Google: Colorlab Practical Imaging. 1 Silver Spring St, Providence, RI 02904. (401) 272-4550.
Worth a phone call, still can't tell if they are still opened.

Tom, have a read through the first few replies in this thread; it made me laugh.

Pere Casals
14-Nov-2019, 04:40
Using this thread.

I want to try and print some of my images.
And I want to get the best out of them.
I, myself have an Epson V800, but in my search to get the most out of it I was considering to Drum scan for once.
Would you reccommend it? To see the difference?

First, take a x40 magnifier and inspect the finest detail in the negative, then equally enlarge the V800 scan (4000dpi) in the monitor and see if something is lost.

Second, many 8x10" drum scanning is offered only at 2000dpi, being 4000dpi quite expensive if available. A 8x10" Color 4000dpi scan at 8 bits per channel exceeds 4Gb (usual) maximum file size, and if using (necessary) 16bits/channels then it would be 10GBytes.

If you are to drum scan at 2000 dpi, the epson scanned at 4000 and later downsampled to 2000 should be equal.

The larger the format the lower benefit from a drum scan over a V800 one. In 35mm you may find a great difference if the shot is very sharp, but for 8x10 size benefit will be very, very scarce.

In my experience some 4x5" shots may take some advantage from a drum scan at 4000dpi, in special for very dark/underexposed Velvia/Provia, but an Epson V800 + 810 format is a powerful combination delivering an insane amount of image quality, the V resolves 40lp/mm on film, and at that frequency 8x10 LF lenses provide very scarce contrast anyway, being practically many times in a contrast extintion situation.

With the EPSON, scan 4000dpi a 8x10" BW negative, 16 bits per channel, take all histogram and do a good Ps processing, with mild sharpening, then downsample (use "bicubic, ideal for reductions") to 2000dpi, compare that with a drum scan after matching images with curve edition. IMHO You will get the same, but do your own test and please post your findings, just you will have to spend some bucks in a single 8x10 scan, it would be a good investment for you to know from first hand.

Many side by side comparisons of Epson vs Drum in scanning service webs are missleading.

Do your own side by side !!!

BW, color negative or slides?

If you scan 8x10 Velvia slides then you should upgrade your Silverfast to SE Plus version, that includes Multi-Exposure for dense slides.

If having to recover detail from very unexposed Velvia slides then the drum is the best solution.

Regarding color, the V800 it is perfectly IT8 calibrated and accurate. Some drum vs epson comparisons have edited colors in the drum sample that are not what the film has.