PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Current 8x10 B&W Film?

Mark_Turner
20-Jan-2021, 16:22
What's your current favorite 8x10 black & white film, and why? A note about what you're photographing with it would be useful as well.

I ask because I'm preparing to use the 8x10 I've owned for over 40 years but not used since 1981. I expect to use it for some studio portraits (with modern studio strobes), landscapes, and architecture.

I've ordered 35mm samples of several films also available in 8x10 to test them at much lower cost and to get comfortable with processing film again (yes, I know tray processing of sheet film is different than tank processing 35mm).

Tin Can
20-Jan-2021, 17:18
I quickly moved to 8X10 X-Ray film when I started here as it was cheap to learn on

Find our X-Ray threads

The really good X-Ray film is gone, but plenty of cheap 8X10 remains, I suggest this bargain, buy a case, as it ships better
https://www.zzmedical.com/analog-x-ray-supplies/8x10-in-fuji-x-ray-film.html

In USA I shop here for REAL film https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=8x10%20film&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

John Kasaian
20-Jan-2021, 18:38
My preference is for Ilford HP-5+ in most cases, sometimes FP-4+ from Badger Graphic. Also Ilford Ortho Plus 80 when I can find it.
I keep a variety of film in the freezer (Arista.edu Ultra, Xray) just in case of a repeat of a few years (decades?) ago when Ilford filed for bankruptcy protection at the same time Kodak halted production to set up a new facility and sheet film suddenly became unobtainium for a while.
Subjects? Landscapes, occasionally architecture, night photography and old rusty stuff.

Alan9940
20-Jan-2021, 21:30
I shoot mostly outdoor scenes and my favorites are Tri-X, FP-4+, and Fomapan 100. The latter two are developed mostly in Pyrocat-HD. I really like the tonal characteristics of Fomapan 100 and, before the pandemic changed our world, it was a very reasonable price from fotoimpex for 50 sheets. Nowadays, the DHL surcharge for shipping into the USA makes this stock about as expensive as anything else.

neil poulsen
20-Jan-2021, 22:15
HP-5 . . .

Long live Ilford.

Steve Goldstein
21-Jan-2021, 04:34
Consider TMAX400 (TMY) if you intend to do any alt-process printing that requires UV exposure. Because it has no UV-blocking your print exposures will be much shorter than with other films. Yes, the cost...

lenicolas
21-Jan-2021, 05:19
I use FP4. Great looking film, and it plays so well with Rodinal.
Great setup for people like me who do not process film that often (once a week at most). Rodinal lasts forever.

Tin Can
21-Jan-2021, 05:24
Very good to know Steve

Thank you

Consider TMAX400 (TMY) if you intend to do any alt-process printing that requires UV exposure. Because it has no UV-blocking your print exposures will be much shorter than with other films. Yes, the cost...

koraks
21-Jan-2021, 05:26

To the best of my knowledge only tmax100 has this uv blocking property. So for alt process printing, tmy would be fine, but so would be any of the ilford films, foma, bergger etc.

Nodda Duma
21-Jan-2021, 06:05
I’ve been enjoying experimenting with dry plate ambrotypes: Black glass coated with my ASA 25 emulsion and developed to a positive.

For film, Adox CHS II 100 and the CatLabs 80 speed stuff are loaded in holders. I guess I have a thing for classic style emulsions.

Jeroen
21-Jan-2021, 06:16
For film, Adox CHS II 100 and the CatLabs 80 speed stuff are loaded in holders. I guess I have a thing for classic style emulsions.
Adox CHS II 100 is a very fine film indeed. Nearly as good as FP4+, and at half the cost in the EU. I prefer classic emulsions as well.

Tin Can
21-Jan-2021, 06:32
Do you now sell black glass coated Dry plates?

Seems to be an interest

I’ve been enjoying experimenting with dry plate ambrotypes: Black glass coated with my ASA 25 emulsion and developed to a positive.

Nodda Duma
21-Jan-2021, 08:08
Do you now sell black glass coated Dry plates?

Seems to be an interest

On a limited basis, Randy, while I work on refining the results. I’ve started listing in the Experimental section of the store when I coat enough to box up, so that folks can experiment with them and help contribute to the knowledge base on these.

Tin Can
21-Jan-2021, 08:21
Very good!

I must wait until PayDay

On a limited basis, Randy, while I work on refining the results. I’ve started listing in the Experimental section of the store when I coat enough to box up, so that folks can experiment with them and help contribute to the knowledge base on these.

gregmo
21-Jan-2021, 08:32
Fuji Acros is my favorite mostly due to the reciprocity characteristics being much better any other B&W film. Used for 617 format.

For 5x7 and 8x10, I prefer Ilford FP4+ since Acros is not available.

paulbarden
21-Jan-2021, 08:58
FP4 and Delta 100. For landscape work and still lifes.

Two23
21-Jan-2021, 09:30
I shoot FP4 in just about all formats. It's easy to work with. I process with HC110. I photo outdoors almost entirely.

Kent in SD

Drew Wiley
21-Jan-2021, 11:15
I use several options, often depending on what's leftover from lab usage. But for shooting in the field, my current favorite 8x10 product is unquestionably TMY400. Very long scale that will resolve deep shadow gradation. Fine grain yet good edge acutance. Wide development contrast versatility (I generally use staining pyro), excellent quality control, doesn't scratch or scuff easily. Good reciprocity characteristics. Fast speed at true 400 box speed, helpful with our local windy conditions.

Favorite 8x10 film ever : Bergger 200; longest straight line since Super-XX and not quite as grainy, but still too grainy in my opinion for smaller formats like 4x5.

Earlier favorite: HP5. Again, too grainy for smaller formats, and too much of a toe for high contrast scenes unless masked, but lovely up to 3X magnification of softer scenes.

The dependable workhorse film : FP4. A bit slow for 8x10, so gotta watch out for the wind. It won't dig quite as deep into shadows as either speed of TMax; but rating it at 50 helps with shadow gradation. The best beginner film in my opinion (TMax has to be more carefully metered).

Jim Fitzgerald
21-Jan-2021, 11:21
I've always enjoyed slow film for my LF and ULF work. Efke 25 has been my go to film in all formats. I still have several boxes of 8x10 and a few sheets left in 11x14 and 8x20. They never made any in 14x17 to my knowledge but I have a couple boxes of Bergger 200 and J&C 200 in the freezer in 14x17 along with the Shanghai GP3 100 film. I agree with Drew about the Bergger, love that film. If I ever run out of freezer stock ( I'll most likely die before that happens) my plan would be to go to FP4.

tgtaylor
21-Jan-2021, 13:00
For years (at least 10) I have been using Delta 100 and Acros for 8x10 and printing primarily in an alternative format. Of the two, I prefer Acros. However recently I have been shooting Kodak TMY 400 in 35 and 120 and absolutely adore the gorgeous negatives it produces and despite its cost will switch to it when my current supply of Acros and Delta is depleted.