PDA

View Full Version : Is this Fungus ? I canīt identify, need help

maxi0909
20-Jan-2021, 03:05
Hello guys, I have this lens and it has a strange appearing only at the edge of the front glass element. the problem is that it is inside two canada balsam cemented lens pieces. So I couldnīt take it apart to clean it.
I just wanna know what this is and how I can remove it ( if needed or if possible )

When I saw fungus it was all around over lens element but in this case itīs only at the edges and look like snowflakes...

thanks

Tin Can
20-Jan-2021, 03:17
Not on glass

Black paint failure
Usually a German lens

Don’t worry

pgk
20-Jan-2021, 03:20
Looks more like slight edge separation to me. I have a lens with 'Schneideritis' which doesn't look the same as this and is fundamentally cosmetic.

maxi0909
20-Jan-2021, 04:31
Not on glass

Black paint failure
Usually a German lens

Don’t worry

Oh that would be so "nice" :)

Yes it is actually a german lens. A Hugo Meyer Görlitz Doppel Plasmat. So you really donīt believe itīs some sort of fungus?

My biggest anxiety was, that it would spread out or go on other lenses.

Havoc
20-Jan-2021, 04:48
Looks more like slight edge separation to me. I have a lens with 'Schneideritis' which doesn't look the same as this and is fundamentally cosmetic.

That was my impression as well: beginning separation.

Larry H-L
20-Jan-2021, 04:58
Possibly the beginning of separation, but it looks drippy to me. Could it have been caused by a too wet lens cleaning attempt that caused seepage around the glass? Then it dried and residue remains visible.

Tin Can
20-Jan-2021, 05:26
I first looked on iPhone and image was too small

Now on big monitor

not Schneideritis

It always helps to give more info in the first post than later

Good fortune to you

maxi0909
20-Jan-2021, 05:36
Possibly the beginning of separation, but it looks drippy to me. Could it have been caused by a too wet lens cleaning attempt that caused seepage around the glass? Then it dried and residue remains visible.

Maybe. What do you exactly mean by "beginning" seperation? Could it be more worse in the end?
I donīt know anything about seperation at this moment. Is it fixable, will it progress?

Steven Tribe
20-Jan-2021, 06:15
It is patchy breakdown of the glue layer (canada balsam or early synthetics) which gives a Cloudy appearance due to separation of a solid layer on the surfaces of the two lenses. Could be due to drying out at sections of the very edge or some kind of oxidation process- again at the very edge. It grows inwards, like a bacterial growth or crystallisation! It will be a very gradual change ( over decades) and will probably be dependent on storage temperature.

maxi0909
20-Jan-2021, 06:25
It is patchy breakdown of the glue layer (canada balsam or early synthetics) which gives a Cloudy appearance due to separation of a solid layer on the surfaces of the two lenses. Could be due to drying out at sections of the very edge or some kind of oxidation process- again at the very edge. It grows inwards, like a bacterial growth or crystallisation! It will be a very gradual change ( over decades) and will probably be dependent on storage temperature.

Will Re-Glueing solve this problem? I mean if I seperate, clean and re glue them with canada balsam. Or will it happen after that again?

Kevin Crisp
20-Jan-2021, 11:33
Yes, regluing will solve it, but something this minor doesn't qualify as a practical problem. It may remain steady like this for years. I'd be especially careful to avoid temperature shocks, though, like leaving the camera bag in a car trunk.

This doesn't look like a balsam separation. I doubt even wide open something this minor would have an effect. I have a few Protars I have not fixed yet, and ring of crystallized brown balsam extends a couple cm into the lens. Stopped down, the lenses work fine. Compared to that, this is nothing. You'd be going to a lot of trouble to fix something that is merely cosmetic, but if that is very important to you, it can be fixed. Getting a lens like this apart, glued with what I assume is an older synthetic glue, can be a challenge. If the individual pieces of glass don't have identical diameters, you can add centering issues to your trouble.

maxi0909
20-Jan-2021, 11:54
Yes, regluing will solve it, but something this minor doesn't qualify as a practical problem. It may remain steady like this for years. I'd be especially careful to avoid temperature shocks, though, like leaving the camera bag in a car trunk.

This doesn't look like a balsam separation. I doubt even wide open something this minor would have an effect. I have a few Protars I have not fixed yet, and ring of crystallized brown balsam extends a couple cm into the lens. Stopped down, the lenses work fine. Compared to that, this is nothing. You'd be going to a lot of trouble to fix something that is merely cosmetic, but if that is very important to you, it can be fixed. Getting a lens like this, glued with what I assume is an older synthetic glue, can be a challenge.

Okay, that sounds good. This heavy lens should be just living in a studio, so I think there should be no problem with that, thanks :)

Steven Tribe
23-Jan-2021, 04:03
A separation, cleaning and re balsaming will work perfectly, but really this so minor that I wouldn’t bother.

Here is a similar example - found on EBay!

Kevin Crisp
23-Jan-2021, 11:34
That is not balsam separation in my opinion. The pattern plus the rainbow suggest a more modern cement.

Nodda Duma
23-Jan-2021, 20:50
It’s adhesive failure in the doublet, ie “balsam separation” although this lens is too new to have used balsam. This is what failure of modern adhesive looks like. I’d bet it wasn’t originally cured properly.