PDA

View Full Version : Tintype fogging while drying

derekkeatonphoto
11-Jan-2021, 19:03
I'm fairly new to wet plate process. Recently I had a weird issue of two plates fogging/solarized effect while drying. and they dry and stay this way?
Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

paulbarden
11-Jan-2021, 22:04
I'm fairly new to wet plate process. Recently I had a weird issue of two plates fogging/solarized effect while drying. and they dry and stay this way?
Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Can you please show us an example of this "fogging"? It would be very helpful in diagnosing the issue.

cuypers1807
12-Jan-2021, 12:26
My guess without seeing the plates is that they were overexposed/overdeveloped. Unlike gelatin silver prints which dry down (highlights become darker), tintypes will dry up and highlights can blow out as the plate dries.

Mark Sawyer
12-Jan-2021, 15:45
My guess without seeing the plates is that they were overexposed/overdeveloped. Unlike gelatin silver prints which dry down (highlights become darker), tintypes will dry up and highlights can blow out as the plate dries.

I second this.

derekkeatonphoto
12-Jan-2021, 19:04
Thanks for the replies! I didn't think about over development. I may have since I've stopped counting the second and lost track, relying on a visual. I will post the fogged plates when I can to get a better idea for yall! And will start keeping in mind my developing time. This has only happened in two plates, so I'm thinking that's what's happening. Thanks again!