PDA

View Full Version : 7x17 Chamonix vs Ritter vs x?

G Benaim
7-Jan-2021, 22:26
As long as we're talking Chamonix, has anyone tried their 7x17 camera? I remember reading Michael Mutmansky's VC review vs the Ritter when they first came out, how do people who own them feel about them now? Any other good modern options? In currently using a Ritter modded Folmerandschwing 717.

Oren Grad
8-Jan-2021, 00:03
Off the top of my head, the other options that can currently be purchased new are Canham, Shen Hao and (I think, though one doesn't hear much about them these days) Lotus. The obvious older options are Korona and F&S; the non-obvious option no longer available new is the Phillips, of which few were made. I've owned or had the opportunity to inspect cameras from all of these brands new and old except Shen Hao and Ritter, though not all in the 7x17 format.

If budget were no object my first choice among them, for its balance of reasonable weight and excellent rigidity, would be the Phillips. As that's hard to find, my second choice would be the Chamonix, which as you probably know shares many design features with the Phillips. But a big part of this is personal taste, so YMMV. For example, I owned a 5x12 Canham for a while. It was beautifully made, and Keith Canham has an excellent reputation for support, but I could never get along with the design. OTOH, there are also people here who are happy with their Canhams.

If budget was tight, I could get along fine with a Korona, despite its foibles. Its ultra-light weight and ease of setup are wonderful, and with care in handling it's rigid enough for my usage habits.

Is there some specific reason why you're unhappy with your F&S? Some feature or capability that you're currently missing and would like to have?

G Benaim
8-Jan-2021, 04:51
I'd like more movements and extension, especially front rise, swing and shift. Mine has rise but sometimes not enough. Tbh I'm also just curious what I'm missing w an older camera, it has certainly allowed me to make a lot of great work in the brief time I've had it.

Oren Grad
8-Jan-2021, 08:09
Fair enough! Given your needs the Chamonix certainly is worth a close look. I'll have to defer to others who have experience with Richard Ritter's cameras to comment on those.

Monty McCutchen
8-Jan-2021, 10:15
Oren has as usual hit the nail on the head. I own the Phillips 7 x 17 and it is an absolute joy to work with. Because of that I would endorse the Chamonix through its design similarities to the Phillips. It really is a shame Dick couldn't pass down his business to an apprentice. His craftsmanship and how he ran his business is missed in this community.

Monty

Len Middleton
10-Jan-2021, 12:08
I'd like more movements and extension, especially front rise, swing and shift. Mine has rise but sometimes not enough. Tbh I'm also just curious what I'm missing w an older camera, it has certainly allowed me to make a lot of great work in the brief time I've had it.

Gabriel,

I am unfamiliar with the F&S 7x17 / 8x20, so please excuse my naïve questions or comments.

I have a Korona Panoramic View in 8x20 format with an extension rail. It has an extension rail to provide 32" of bellows, has front rise, and rear tilt, but no front tilt.

If it had front tilt but no extension, I believe it would be a Banquet camera.

Did the F&S designs have both similar models (i.e. Panoramic View and Banquet), or just a single model to serve both purposes?

For the Korona, the different models served different purposes.

Good luck for your search for the best solution for you,

Len

G Benaim
10-Jan-2021, 14:53
I don't know if they had both models, mine has front rise and tilt but no front swing or shift.

Oren Grad
10-Jan-2021, 17:44
I have a Korona Panoramic View in 8x20 format with an extension rail. It has an extension rail to provide 32" of bellows, has front rise, and rear tilt, but no front tilt.

If it had front tilt but no extension, I believe it would be a Banquet camera.

Did the F&S designs have both similar models (i.e. Panoramic View and Banquet), or just a single model to serve both purposes?

Among the Korona models, the 5x12, 7x17 and 8x20 were branded "Panoramic View" and the 12x20 was branded "Banquet Camera". There weren't multiple models with different features within each format.

Folmer and Schwing offered 7x17 and 12x20. Both were referred to as "Banquet Cameras".

Tin Can
11-Jan-2021, 05:16
Front tilt only is a feature I thought I wanted after I bought my Korona Panoramic View as I WAS going to shoot groups of people...

I suggest reading this very good Wikipedia Banquet photography (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banquet_photography) updated last week, the only thing I would add, they were also used for stadium riser seating, in schools, gymnasiums, auditoriums where that tilt was essential

with tall tripods and ladders

I use a small led instead of candles

Cirkut cameras...

esearing
11-Jan-2021, 05:44
May not be important to you but with the Canham design a 7x17 sits on his 11x14 platform, so you could order the back and bellows for that too and change formats when the mood strikes. I just ordered the Chamonix 5x12 which appears to be same design as their 7x17 . The film holders are almost as lovely as the camera. You will likely have a long wait for any new 7x17 models.

Len Middleton
11-Jan-2021, 09:22
Among the Korona models, the 5x12, 7x17 and 8x20 were branded "Panoramic View" and the 12x20 was branded "Banquet Camera". There weren't multiple models with different features within each format.

Oren,

Thank you for correcting my post.

I just confirmed your comments with regards to the sizes for the Korona Banquet (http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/gundlach/banq.htm) and for the Panoramic View (http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/gundlach/pan.htm).

Best wishes,

Len

Oren Grad
11-Jan-2021, 09:27
Len - no worries! I have a 7x17 Korona and a 12x20 F&S. Whatever they're called, and even with their limitations compared to current models, they're wonderful cameras.