7-Jan-2021, 05:50
What are the differences?

I have never seen or used these papers

I see there was single and double weight

Is it FB or...plastic

Age and history of use

Jim Noel
7-Jan-2021, 08:18
Both are fiber papers. F-2 is Glossy and G-2 is textured (I don't remember the correct term).
I used F-2 for 20+ years, and only went to G-2 after my college years. When I worked in a store in high school during WWII I would say these papers outsold all others combined by a large margin.

Tin Can
7-Jan-2021, 08:28
Thanks Jim!

Got some of each coming this week

Both are fiber papers. F-2 is Glossy and G-2 is textured (I don't remember the correct term).
I used F-2 for 20+ years, and only went to G-2 after my college years. When I worked in a store in high school during WWII I would say these papers outsold all others combined by a large margin.

Ulophot
7-Jan-2021, 08:37
G was what Kodak called a lustre surface, a bit shinier and more prominently textured than the E surface, as I recall.

Merg Ross
8-Jan-2021, 23:10
As noted, letter is for surface, number is for grade. Kodabromide was available in grades 2 to 5. I used the DW for my commercial work in the 60's to 80's due to availability. Works well in Dektol, a bit on the cool side for my taste. Preferred GAF or Ilford for personal work. Have fun, maybe a little benzotriazole will be needed. Await your report back.

Bill Burk
9-Jan-2021, 00:13

Here are pages of a paper sample book. F is glossy, like all the other glossy paper you know. It doesn’t shine like that unless you ferrotype it.

Tin Can
9-Jan-2021, 06:16
Thanks experts!

Mark Sampson
9-Jan-2021, 07:56
They are fiber-based papers. The plastic version was Kodabrome II RC. Of course Kodak stopped all production of b/w paper in 2005 or so, and Kodabromide was discontinued well before that, so your purchase is something of a gamble. But you knew that- best of luck!

Wayne
9-Jan-2021, 08:31
Still good for lumen prints for sure. I haven't tried enlarging on my recent haul yet

Bill Burk
9-Jan-2021, 10:02
I found myself with a box of F3 and F4 Single Weight. One has too much fog, the other is more usable. I assume because one had poor storage.
If you are shopping around, then look for signs of good care.
As Wayne mentioned, still good for alternative uses. For example if you were going to do a paper negative, the fog isn't as much an issue. Some people love the paper to fix and use as base for something else.