PDA

View Full Version : hand strap for linhof

davidb
19-Jan-2006, 22:41
I just got an older Linhof Tech III and the leather hand strap is showing it's age.

So I am wondering if there is a place to buy a replacement?

Richard Kelham
20-Jan-2006, 05:05
You almost certainly won't get one from Linhof. Try a custom leather worker...

David A. Goldfarb
20-Jan-2006, 06:58
Go to APUG.org and send a PM to MikeS. He had some replacement straps made up a while back, but they may have been for the ergonomic grip, rather than the plain side strap. In any case, he could tell you the shop that did it.

Bob Salomon
20-Jan-2006, 07:11
A newer Linhof strap may fit. Marflex has them in stock. Marflex@aol.com

Mark Cudworth
20-Jan-2006, 13:41
I made a replacement strap for my Tech III from an old leather strap. Just cut it to the right length and width, punch two holes in it for the screws to pass through, wrap it around the mounting plate and screw the plate back on. I can take a few pictures if you like, but it is extremely simple. You can use a good quality leather belt for the leather if you like -- the strap remnant I used was free.

Jeff_6094
21-Jan-2006, 16:11
The current strap will fit, I bought one for my Tech III.

Brian Ellis
26-Jan-2006, 15:08
This is late but for the benefit of others who might later see this thread, I bought a replacement strap for my Master Technkika from MidWest Photo Exchange. It cost about $30 less there than from Marflex.

Darin Boville
28-Oct-2010, 22:23
Reviving an old thread here...doesn't seem to be much info on the web...

What's a good neckstrap for the Technika? The ones I have are all made for SLRs and have that little plastic do-hickey that locks the strap. Doesn't look like it will hold the weight.

I know that Linhof makes a strap (for $100?). This post has a pict of it: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=363896&postcount=15

But is there anything less less spendy?

--Darin

Frank Petronio
28-Oct-2010, 22:36
I don't think a regular strap will cut it, but perhaps a military surplus rifle strap? Or a wide belt modified by a leather worker? Actually a Linhof one for $100 isn't out of line....

I wonder if you really want a 10-12 lb pendulum swinging from your neck though? Your chiropractor will love it though.

Darin Boville
28-Oct-2010, 22:55
I don't think a regular strap will cut it, but perhaps a military surplus rifle strap? Or a wide belt modified by a leather worker? Actually a Linhof one for $100 isn't out of line....

I wonder if you really want a 10-12 lb pendulum swinging from your neck though? Your chiropractor will love it though.

Oh, I'm not planning on letting it dangle from my neck too often. I am just find that many times I need a third hand for a few seconds--unlocking the tripod legs, or taking a meter reading or whatever, and I don't want to set the camera down--just need a few seconds. But, damn. In those few seconds I'm eyeing that little plastic piece...

--Darin

Frank Petronio
28-Oct-2010, 23:08
The ergo grip is really nice and has a leather strap that you can tighten down so the camera really is quite secure. In most cases that or mounting it on the tripod will suffice, at least in my couple of years with the beast.

Darin Boville
28-Oct-2010, 23:29
The ergo grip is really nice and has a leather strap that you can tighten down so the camera really is quite secure. In most cases that or mounting it on the tripod will suffice, at least in my couple of years with the beast.

I've got that. But how would you change film holders when shooting handheld? How to play with a light meter?

Of course, with the strap I'm using now the darn thing homes in on the rangefinder window, blocking every time. Maybe the Linhof really wasn't meant to be used handheld :)

--Darin

Denis Pleic
28-Oct-2010, 23:59
Darin,

Seeing the original Linhof photo that you linked to, I don't see why you couldn't modify any of the better-made modern straps, for heavier SLRs, like the Nikon or Canon. In any case, you could modify a sturdy Lowepro or Optech strap. Just remove the "plastic do-hickey" with the locking mechanism, and use solid split metal rings (like the ones that used to be used for keys) and/or some other method for securing the strap directly to the camera - just like in the first photo that you linked to:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14155&d=1214769346

I've just looked at a couple of mine, and any of the sturdier modern Nikons should do. Besides, you can get an older, sturdy neck strap from that online auction place - for a couple of bucks:
THIS ONE (http://cgi.ebay.com/1-NEW-35mm-CAMERA-WEBBED-STRAP-BLACK-/390254980729?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item5add026e79) already has everything you need - and looks sturdy enough.

I'm sure similar (or sturdier) straps will be easy to find, without having to pay an arm and a leg.

$100? Sheesh.... For that much money, I'll make you two - handmade, of the same or better quality than the one in the linked photo.... :)

Frank Petronio
29-Oct-2010, 00:25
With the grip it was easy to slam those holders in and out, I thought, I did it all, Polas, Grafmatics, Fidelities, only needed one hand free...

Darin Boville
29-Oct-2010, 00:36
Just remove the "plastic do-hickey" with the locking mechanism, and use solid split metal rings (like the ones that used to be used for keys) and/or some other method for securing the strap directly to the camera

It's the plastic gizmo that the strap winds through to adjust length/hold in place that I'm talking about. I guess I could just sew the thing locked...but that's sooooo old school...

--Darin

Darin Boville
29-Oct-2010, 00:36
With the grip it was easy to slam those holders in and out, I thought, I did it all, Polas, Grafmatics, Fidelities, only needed one hand free...

Mmmm. Maybe I'l try it some more your way. Isn't it 3:30 am in your neck of the woods? Do you sleep? :)

--Darin

Frank Petronio
29-Oct-2010, 07:37
like four hrs per

AgentX
29-Oct-2010, 10:15
But is there anything less less spendy?

--Darin

www.strapworks.com

For cameras, tripods, bags, whatever. Super-cheap and can be made to your spec.

Darin Boville
29-Oct-2010, 10:32
www.strapworks.com

For cameras, tripods, bags, whatever. Super-cheap and can be made to your spec.

Hey, that's PERFECT. I can buy metal thingys to replace the plastic ones on my existing strap--looks like about two bucks a part, so $4 and I'm good to go. Very cool--thanks for the link!

--Darin