PDA

View Full Version : Help with cable release on a Technika board and Merry Christmas

AndSt
25-Dec-2020, 05:03
Hi everybody - I've just got my first 4x5 lens and camera I'm stuck on how to attach a shutter release. Could anybody help? All the usual one's I've got don't seem to fit into this contraption on the side.

Very frustrated as I'm desperate to give it a go.

Thanks

Alan9940
25-Dec-2020, 07:53
Hopefully, someone with this style of Linhof branded shutter release will step in, but would it be possible to just remove that contraption and use a normal shutter release cable?

Louis Pacilla
25-Dec-2020, 08:33
You have one of those Linhof "special tip" cable release connectors on your lens board, it kind of snaps in instead of screwing in.

As Alan has said if you loosen your lens from lens board then spin it out of the way of this "special tip" (which is attached to your lens board) and when you spin the lens around so the "shutter body is in a new position you can "bypass" the Linhof "special tip" allowing you now to thread a threaded cable release into the "shutter body" cable release port & that will get you making images using a cable release.

Hope this makes sense and it will get you shooting using a standard threaded cable release, then in the meantime look around for the special tip Linhof cable release if you want to use the system down the road.

ChristopherMarv
25-Dec-2020, 10:18
You can get a Linhof heavy duty cable release from B&H. The tip will snap into the socket. Personally, I find these sockets more trouble than they are worth. You might want to consider removing it and attaching an extension tube like this one:

It fits into the camera when folded and makes life easier.

Bob Salomon
25-Dec-2020, 10:46
Just order the LInhof cable release tip which screws on to the end of your cable release and then that tips fits and locks directly into the Cable Release Quick Socket on your lens board. Or, you could order the special LInhof cable release that has no threads on the tip and plugs directly into the Q/S socket on your board.

The nipple is 041066. The cable release is 002400. These can be ordered from any LInhof dealer or service center.

Alan Klein
25-Dec-2020, 12:10
Curious if there are any specs or recommendations for cable release tip lengths etc. for Copal 0 and 1 shutters? When I started with 4x5, I just guessed when I bought my cables.

Corran
25-Dec-2020, 12:20
Linhof's cable release mechanisms SUCK.

Assuming you are not dead-set on using this lens on a Linhof with a handle and Linhof release, simple unscrew the two screws underneath the release socket and carefully remove all the hardware and save it for later. Use a small piece of electrical tape over the holes, and then use any standard cable release screwed directly into the shutter's socket.

ChristopherMarv
25-Dec-2020, 12:46
Linhof's cable release mechanisms SUCK.

Assuming you are not dead-set on using this lens on a Linhof with a handle and Linhof release, simple unscrew the two screws underneath the release socket and carefully remove all the hardware and save it for later. Use a small piece of electrical tape over the holes, and then use any standard cable release screwed directly into the shutter's socket.

I don't think he necessarily has to remove screws. Mine just slides off -- which is one of the reasons I don't like it!

Corran
25-Dec-2020, 14:09
That's true, but also easy to lose in the field!

Embdude
25-Dec-2020, 20:18
To tempoairly use it you can just loosen the lens retaining ring on the back side a bit and turn the shutter a little until you have room to insert your current shutter release. You can just move it back later if you do get a linhof nipple to fit in the quick-socket...

Corran
26-Dec-2020, 04:36
Side-note on the Linhof nipples. I lost two cable releases (and of course 2 nipples!) by doing that. Including one of my favorite Nikon AR-3 releases. They just fall out easily.

Unless you must use Linhof releases or QR sockets, I would personally avoid them at all costs.

Bob Salomon
26-Dec-2020, 06:54
To tempoairly use it you can just loosen the lens retaining ring on the back side a bit and turn the shutter a little until you have room to insert your current shutter release. You can just move it back later if you do get a linhof nipple to fit in the quick-socket...

And find away to keep from losing that actuator shaft that can fall,off doing this.

AndSt
26-Dec-2020, 11:15
Thanks everyone for your help. I have removed the quick release cable attachment. I managed to go out today for and use the camera for the first time. Just waiting for the negs to dry then scan. Thanks again everyone :)