PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix Reflex-Viewfinder 4x5

helios
22-Dec-2020, 10:58
Has anyone used Chamonix 4x5 Reflex-Viewfinder - any good?

Price seems to be quite reasonable, but wondering if it really can serve as an adequate replacement for focusing with loupe under dark cloth.

Bob Salomon
22-Dec-2020, 11:28
Has anyone used Chamonix 4x5 Reflex-Viewfinder - any good?

Price seems to be quite reasonable, but wondering if it really can serve as an adequate replacement for focusing with loupe under dark cloth.

Not really a substitute as, in order to view the entire gg image, they are usually only 2x magnification. To focus critically you need 4x and stronger with the ability to adjust the eyepiece to focus on the grain side of the gg.
We always called them an art directors aid as the image is not upside down. Though, since it uses a mirror, the image is reversed left to right while viewing through it.

Greg
22-Dec-2020, 12:37
Have been using a Chamonix 4x5 Reflex-Viewfinder for probably 3 to 4 years. 90% of the time opt for the reflex finder over a dark cloth. Attaching it securely to the back of the camera took some time to get used of doing. Can't view the whole image on the GG with a 65mm lens, but that's to be expected. Would absolutely buy one over again.

helios
24-Dec-2020, 03:03
Thanks for your replies. It sounds like it could be interesting accessory to try, though not a full replacement. I am familiar with right-left inversion from MF, and I actually like vertical inversion of view camera. Focus precision is of utmost priority for me, so for now I tend to stay with loupe only (also for weight reasons).

fotopfw
24-Dec-2020, 03:19
In general, I have and use the Sinar reflex viewfinder on the P2.
I second what helios said, I prefer the upside down image, it's more abstract and that helps me with finding a balanced composition.
However, I start mostly with the reflex view finder, to set the shot up. It is a lot less hassle than working with a dark cloth.
For critical focus and final composition, I detach the reflex view finder and go for the loupe.
Indoors I use only the reflex view finder all the time.

GG12
24-Dec-2020, 06:08
Anyone mounting this to something other than a Chamonix?

Alan Klein
24-Dec-2020, 07:46
I have the reflex viewfinder with my Chamonix 45H-1. Works nicely with a 300mmm lens to set up and view composition. But then you really need to use a separate loupe for final focusing. So you have to take it off the camera. Takes up a lot of room in my camera case. With my 90mm and 75mm, it's hard to see the sides. With a 150mm, it's a little better. I think you still need a loupe and dark cloth.

I also have their foldable viewfinder to try in lieu of dark cloth. But it really doesn't work that good.

otto.f
25-Dec-2020, 01:40
Yes I own it and for me it works much easier than the folding viewer with carbon cover. It focuses perfectly for me. It’s a bit bulky in my backpack but it’s worth it above the time-consuming dark cloth. Maybe you can see flaws here but I’m quite satisfied with this take with the Heliar 210 on ADOX CHS 100 ii; I focused on the centre of the rose and did some movements with the front plate to get the foreground sharp, all with nothing else than the reflex finder.

https://lotwouda.zenfolio.com/

helios
25-Dec-2020, 15:56
Yes I own it and for me it works much easier than the folding viewer with carbon cover. It focuses perfectly for me. It’s a bit bulky in my backpack but it’s worth it above the time-consuming dark cloth. Maybe you can see flaws here but I’m quite satisfied with this take with the Heliar 210 on ADOX CHS 100 ii; I focused on the centre of the rose and did some movements with the front plate to get the foreground sharp, all with nothing else than the reflex finder.

https://lotwouda.zenfolio.com/

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

As I am mainly shooting landscapes, I often find myself in a situation where I have to focus on tiniest branches of trees or other very small details, located all over the GG. Maybe it's my bias from MF times, but I would anticipate that Reflex-Finder allows to see best the center part of GG, with other parts and especially corners being less "accessible". How would you describe it? I find valuable with the loupe that every point on GG is equally accessible. Weight and bulk saving is another bonus, quite important point for me, but that's really personal. Could you also tell how heavy it is? Is it more like 200 g i.e. lightweight lens sort of range, or more like 500+ g?

helios
25-Dec-2020, 15:59
I have the reflex viewfinder with my Chamonix 45H-1. Works nicely with a 300mmm lens to set up and view composition. But then you really need to use a separate loupe for final focusing. So you have to take it off the camera. Takes up a lot of room in my camera case. With my 90mm and 75mm, it's hard to see the sides. With a 150mm, it's a little better. I think you still need a loupe and dark cloth.

Thanks, seems to make perfect sense. Good composing tool, but to focus reliably loupe is hard to avoid. Then everyone decides for him/herself on whether it is worth carrying the extra weight / bulk.

Daniel Unkefer
25-Dec-2020, 17:32
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50710960443_9f45f4a007_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kg9VNc)5x7 Norma Ready to Go Norma 165 Sup Ang (https://flic.kr/p/2kg9VNc) by Nokton48 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/), on Flickr

I'm a Sinar Norma Fan and it has been fun to try to get all the accessories. I have most at this point. A Sinar Norma Bag Bellows behind the groundglass, and a Sinar Norma Moncular with Eyecup do it for me. I have this setup on each of my Norma and I have no problem whatsoever focusing fine micro detail on the glass, it's easy to move around to view the quadrants with wider lenses, and it's weighs very little/takes up little space. I have the boxy modern Sinar Reflex Viewfinder but I don't use it much. I've been thinking of using it with appropriate magnifying eyeglasses from the grocery store.

By the way I have the same monucular setups on my monorail Plaubel Peco Profias. Once you get used to it it's the only way to fly. :)

otto.f
26-Dec-2020, 01:12
Very nice, thanks for sharing!

As I am mainly shooting landscapes, I often find myself in a situation where I have to focus on tiniest branches of trees or other very small details, located all over the GG. Maybe it's my bias from MF times, but I would anticipate that Reflex-Finder allows to see best the center part of GG, with other parts and especially corners being less "accessible". How would you describe it? I find valuable with the loupe that every point on GG is equally accessible. Weight and bulk saving is another bonus, quite important point for me, but that's really personal. Could you also tell how heavy it is? Is it more like 200 g i.e. lightweight lens sort of range, or more like 500+ g?
I would never leave for a hike without the loupe and dark cloth and in landscape I mostly use them, in architecture always of course. But for the first phase of positioning the camera and composing the image I can hardly do without the reflex finder. The image being not upside down is really important for me to compose the image. Loupe and darkcloth come in for the technical part in the second phase: sharpness and movements. And as shown, for stills at home (in corona time) where out of focus areas are a positive thing, especially with the Heliar 210, I can miss a dark cloth. The weight is negligible, rather 200gm, but I must say my Linhof reflex finder on my Color Kardan in the studio doesn’t weigh much more so that wouldn’t be a dealbreaker anyway.

esearing
26-Dec-2020, 05:34
Since I do not shoot often I lose my ability to translate the upside down image sometimes. The viewer is a quick way to help with composition, then I use the loupe for finer focus. It also rotates for a side view which while still upside down can help if the camera is mounted higher up. Also very useful for very low to the ground shots where viewing the ground glass might be a bit more challenging.

Alan Klein
28-Dec-2020, 10:53
Since I do not shoot often I lose my ability to translate the upside down image sometimes. The viewer is a quick way to help with composition, then I use the loupe for finer focus. It also rotates for a side view which while still upside down can help if the camera is mounted higher up. Also very useful for very low to the ground shots where viewing the ground glass might be a bit more challenging.

I've been using my micro 4/3 digital camera for spot the picture I want to take. I switch it to BW if shooting with BW film and use the zoom to figure out the lens I need. Once all that is down, I set up my tripod and camera in the spot determined by the digital camera. Saves a lot of wear and tear. Plus like you, I can't see aesthetically upside down.