PDA

View Full Version : Do's and Don't's of Linhof Technika IV

wyofilm
21-Dec-2020, 22:09
I am still learning my way around LF by using my Technika IV. However, I have recently come across two don't's that I didn't know about before. I'm curious if they are correct and am if I am missing any others.

1. The front standard is engaged onto the first rail by first moving the rail back to the standard. I.e. don't make the 'jump' from the storage position to the rail. I used to make the 'jump' and now take the extra step of moving the rail back first.
2. Don't lower the bottom plate when focusing cams are installed, as the cam can be damaged. This one seems contradictory for a wide angle 90mm lens/cam rangefinder.

What other don'ts related to the Technika IV? I don't mind bumbling around making the usual mistakes, but I would hate to damage my camera.

Thanks!

jose angel
22-Dec-2020, 01:30
I'm making the "jump" to the rail without moving it back. I haven't had an issue with it, after many years of use.
Don´t know if the proper method is the one you describe, I actually never do this.
I cannot remember the last time I used the cam, I think I removed it after a week. Cannot say about it.
I use to put special care when closing the camera.. the front standard should be not compressed at all in the "first rail".
All the controls must move smoothly without being overlubricated; if there is some rigidity (usually dry grease or dirtiness), the camera must be serviced to avoid damage. Specially the gears on the front standard.

ChristopherMarv
22-Dec-2020, 04:55
How do you move the rail back to the standard when it's in the storage position? My Technika IV doesn't have an obvious way to do this.

When you say "lower the bottom plate", are you talking about dropping the bed? The cam has a hinge to accommodate that.

ChristopherMarv
22-Dec-2020, 05:39
How do you move the rail back to the standard when it's in the storage position? My Technika IV doesn't have an obvious way to do this.

Just figured it out: There's a spring with a circular tab which when depressed enables you to move the rail backwards. Had no idea that you could do that!

wyofilm
22-Dec-2020, 05:58

When you say "lower the bottom plate", are you talking about dropping the bed? The cam has a hinge to accommodate that.

Yes, the bottom plate. Sorry about that.

I learned about the moving the rails backwards from this video. Starting about 6 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlMNSoL2LsE

Bob Salomon
22-Dec-2020, 05:59

Always remove the cam before dropping the bed, replace it after lowering the bed, otherwise the cam will become bent. It should be totally flat.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
22-Dec-2020, 07:40
I am still learning my way around LF by using my Technika IV. However, I have recently come across two don't's that I didn't know about before. I'm curious if they are correct and am if I am missing any others.

1. The front standard is engaged onto the first rail by first moving the rail back to the standard. I.e. don't make the 'jump' from the storage position to the rail. I used to make the 'jump' and now take the extra step of moving the rail back first.
2. Don't lower the bottom plate when focusing cams are installed, as the cam can be damaged. This one seems contradictory for a wide angle 90mm lens/cam rangefinder.

What other don'ts related to the Technika IV? I don't mind bumbling around making the usual mistakes, but I would hate to damage my camera.

Thanks!

Don't squeeze your finger in the gap around the focus button.

Never use WD40 or anything else that will evaporate and thus end up on the bellows.

Never unscrew or "adjust" the rangefinder.

Make sure that the tripod mount is firmly seated in the bottom plate.

Never buy a wide-angle lens adjustment device, nor a Super-Angulon 8/65 with an image circle for 6x9. Instead, buy a Super-Angulon 8/75 with recessed Linhof lensboard. Or a Copal 3 lensboard with a 65mm focusing helicoid and Copal 0 hole.

Mount the Super-Angulon 8/90 directly into a pre-shift lensboard if you don't have a recessed lensboard.

BTW. after moving it backwards to store the lens in the body, make sure that the focusing rail is back in its normal position when you retract the camera bottom. Otherwise the focusing rail will bend.

JMO
22-Dec-2020, 08:53
If, when you go to close up the MT camera at the end of your various steps to get the focusing beds aligned, your camera does not click nicely and hold shut when you fold it into the clamshell shape, your top-most extendable rail was retracted a bit too far into the camera bed. If that top-most rail is not far enough retracted, you won't be able to shut the camera and you'll immediately detect a metal on metal clashing (not harmful) to tell you to retract that top-most rail a bit more; but if you retract the top-most rail too much then the camera will close up okay but won't click and lock properly in that closed clam shell shape.

Bob Salomon
22-Dec-2020, 09:20
If, when you go to close up the MT camera at the end of your various steps to get the focusing beds aligned, your camera does not click nicely and hold shut when you fold it into the clamshell shape, your top-most extendable rail was retracted a bit too far into the camera bed. If that top-most rail is not far enough retracted, you won't be able to shut the camera and you'll immediately detect a metal on metal clashing (not harmful) to tell you to retract that top-most rail a bit more; but if you retract the top-most rail too much then the camera will close up okay but won't click and lock properly in that closed clam shell shape.

You can also have a problem closing the camera if the RF cam following arm has lost its proper position and is interfering and preventing the front standard being fully positioned in the body. You can easily reposition the cam holder to its proper position.
I’ve found in the almost 40 years representing LInhof in the USA that this was the most common reason that the camera would not properly close. Usually this happened when a cam was not in position.

wyofilm
23-Dec-2020, 08:52
Thanks all! I appreciate your comments and guidance. I would like to keep this camera humming along for years.

Pieter
23-Dec-2020, 11:32
Read the manual?

wyofilm
23-Dec-2020, 11:44
Read the manual?
I have read the manual. There are some grey areas and perhaps omissions. For example, the manual doesn't state to slide the rails back towards the lens before sliding the lens out. But others have mentioned not doing so could cause damage. Regarding, the cams the manual gives the impression that one can drop the bed to the center position without damaging the cam, but dropping to the bed to the bottom position will damage the cam. This was always confusing to me, because with a 90 mm lens (for which I have a focussing cam) I believe I might need to drop the bed under some circumstances, but did that mean I had to take out the cam?

Bob Salomon
23-Dec-2020, 13:55
I have read the manual. There are some grey areas and perhaps omissions. For example, the manual doesn't state to slide the rails back towards the lens before sliding the lens out. But others have mentioned not doing so could cause damage. Regarding, the cams the manual gives the impression that one can drop the bed to the center position without damaging the cam, but dropping to the bed to the bottom position will damage the cam. This was always confusing to me, because with a 90 mm lens (for which I have a focussing cam) I believe I might need to drop the bed under some circumstances, but did that mean I had to take out the cam?

As I pointed out before, remove the cam before dropping the bed, replace the cam after you drop the bed.

The factory instructions for opening the camera on page 10 describes how to set the front standard to the infinity position. It is not necessary to slide the rails back to do this. But if you pull the front out of the camera and use a lifting motion at the same time you might take that front standard off the rail. So some users find that sliding the rail backwards helps them. Whether or not you do that is up to the user. Personally I never slid the rail back when either using the camera or demonstrating the camera.

ChristopherMarv
23-Dec-2020, 15:18
Read the manual?

I would, but none is available.

Bob Salomon
23-Dec-2020, 15:34
I would, but none is available.

Most of the operation of the current MT cameras are the same as your IV, other then how to do a front rise, the amount of movements and lens cramming instructions and how to install a fresnel.
Go to the LInhof factory web site, click on service, choose manuals from the drop down menu, select the Master Technika manual and download it and most of your questions will be answered.

LabRat
23-Dec-2020, 16:25
Try to find a bare 90mm cam somewhere, to leave on the camera, as you can drop bed and close it with this cam holding everything in correct position... The longer cams cause trouble if the bed drops (remember that RF use + bed drop don't work together)...

I don't use a Tek as a hand camera, so the RF is useless, so the 90mm cam keeps trouble out of the way, and even the grip and finder are large and makes the camera large when packed... For me, it's camera and it's movements that goes right onto a tripod... I use a lighter press camera to handhold (without wrist-wrecking)...

Steve K

wyofilm
23-Dec-2020, 20:19
As I pointed out before, remove the cam before dropping the bed, replace the cam after you drop the bed.

The factory instructions for opening the camera on page 10 describes how to set the front standard to the infinity position. It is not necessary to slide the rails back to do this. But if you pull the front out of the camera and use a lifting motion at the same time you might take that front standard off the rail. So some users find that sliding the rail backwards helps them. Whether or not you do that is up to the user. Personally I never slid the rail back when either using the camera or demonstrating the camera.

Bob - This clears up a lot, thanks. The incompatibility/contradiction was removing the cam before dropping the bed AND meeting the requirement of having the rail abut the 'home' lens position. Once the bed is dropped, the lens can't be brought out if the rail is moved all the way towards the box. I understand now that having the rail towards the box for lens deployment, while it might be good, isn't the Linhof stated procedure.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
24-Dec-2020, 11:13
I have read the manual. There are some grey areas and perhaps omissions.

This is a very useful book, because it shows all the accessories: https://www.amazon.de/LINHOF-PRACTICE-Introduction-Accessories-Photographic/dp/B0000CK2Q7/ref=sr_1_8?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=linhof&qid=1608833164&sr=8-8 You will get Linhof-GAS, https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/linhof-practice/

This is the secret 372 pages manual for Linhof Technikas ;-) https://www.zvab.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=15497776927&searchurl=hl%3Don%26bi%3D0%26ds%3D20%26sortby%3D20%26an%3Djoachim%2Bgiebelhausen%26recentlyadded%3Dall&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp5-_-title5, edited by Joachim Giebelhausen, https://www.abebooks.co.uk/Manual-Applied-Photography-Giebelhausen-Joachim-Editor/1176126846/bd https://www.amazon.com/Manual-applied-photography-Joachim-Giebelhausen/dp/B0007J6PFS - Technika IV and V in every situation ...

Regarding the bending of the cams: I have observed that something like this can happen when the tripod mount of the focusing base is loose and sticks out from the top.

Another observation: if you fold up a formerly folded down camera base and if the standard is not standing completely on its rail, there will be an "Unglück".

ChristopherMarv
24-Dec-2020, 18:48
I'm making the "jump" to the rail without moving it back. I haven't had an issue with it, after many years of use.
Don´t know if the proper method is the one you describe, I actually never do this.
I cannot remember the last time I used the cam, I think I removed it after a week. Cannot say about it.
I use to put special care when closing the camera.. the front standard should be not compressed at all in the "first rail".
All the controls must move smoothly without being overlubricated; if there is some rigidity (usually dry grease or dirtiness), the camera must be serviced to avoid damage. Specially the gears on the front standard.

Curious to know how you close the camera without the cam. If I take my cam out, a spring pushes the socket that it fits into all the way to the left hand side, and I'm pretty sure that I couldn't close the camera without damaging it.

Bob Salomon
24-Dec-2020, 18:51
Curious to know how you close the camera without the cam. If I take my cam out, a spring pushes the socket that it fits into all the way to the left hand side, and I'm pretty sure that I couldn't close the camera without damaging it.

See posts 9 and 16 in this thread.

wyofilm
24-Dec-2020, 20:41
This is a very useful book, because it shows all the accessories: https://www.amazon.de/LINHOF-PRACTICE-Introduction-Accessories-Photographic/dp/B0000CK2Q7/ref=sr_1_8?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=linhof&qid=1608833164&sr=8-8 You will get Linhof-GAS, https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/linhof-practice/

This is the secret 372 pages manual for Linhof Technikas ;-) https://www.zvab.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=15497776927&searchurl=hl%3Don%26bi%3D0%26ds%3D20%26sortby%3D20%26an%3Djoachim%2Bgiebelhausen%26recentlyadded%3Dall&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp5-_-title5, edited by Joachim Giebelhausen, https://www.abebooks.co.uk/Manual-Applied-Photography-Giebelhausen-Joachim-Editor/1176126846/bd https://www.amazon.com/Manual-applied-photography-Joachim-Giebelhausen/dp/B0007J6PFS - Technika IV and V in every situation ...

Regarding the bending of the cams: I have observed that something like this can happen when the tripod mount of the focusing base is loose and sticks out from the top.

Another observation: if you fold up a formerly folded down camera base and if the standard is not standing completely on its rail, there will be an "Unglück".

Thanks for the recommendations. I already have the Linhof book - it came with the camera I bought. It is a fun book.

JMO
24-Dec-2020, 21:15
You can also have a problem closing the camera if the RF cam following arm has lost its proper position and is interfering and preventing the front standard being fully positioned in the body. You can easily reposition the cam holder to its proper position
I’ve found in the almost 40 years representing LInhof in the USA that this was the most common reason that the camera would not properly close. Usually this happened when a cam was not in position.

Bob, So after using my MT IV for the last few years (but never with any of the 3 cams it came with), your explanation makes some sense to me. However, I confess I don’t recall the Owner's Manual that came with my MT made any mention of such details as you describe. In fact, I don’t think it says much at all about using the camera without any cams installed. Don’t you think that’s a failing of Linhof’s to not offer users who don’t use the RF and cams some specific instructions or tips on how to handle the camera? Pretty disappointing. ‘Just saying...

Bob Salomon
25-Dec-2020, 05:02
Bob, So after using my MT IV for the last few years (but never with any of the 3 cams it came with), your explanation makes some sense to me. However, I confess I don’t recall the Owner's Manual that came with my MT made any mention of such details as you describe. In fact, I don’t think it says much at all about using the camera without any cams installed. Don’t you think that’s a failing of Linhof’s to not offer users who don’t use the RF and cams some specific instructions or tips on how to handle the camera? Pretty disappointing. ‘Just saying...

Then you should contact the factory and make the suggestion. However, in the almost 50 years that I worked with the factory I only saw this happen a couple of times and both were on our very heavily used and demoed MT body.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
25-Dec-2020, 08:48
Then you should contact the factory and make the suggestion. However, in the almost 50 years that I worked with the factory I only saw this happen a couple of times and both were on our very heavily used and demoed MT body.

In fact, jamming really does happen rather rarely, I think. when it does, I presume something has already been defective then, for a while, broken, bent, not properly adjusted. The http://www.laflexcamera.com/linhof-technika-buyers-guide is actually quite detailed. - One shouldn't worry too much and use the camera. If something has survived for 60 years so far, it will do so for the next 60 years as well. - Besides, you could also remove the rangefinder and install a chinese wide angle device for 400 USD. https://www.ebay.ch/itm/Linhof-Technika-Upgrade-Kit-Wide-Angle-Track-Strut-f-IV-V-Accessory/174523789575?hash=item28a26db107:g:3YIAAOSwrStbcwBf What are these things actually like? Can they be recommended for non-dogmatists?

Embdude
10-Jan-2021, 00:34
I have speared my bellows with a long (240mm) RF cam! I had the bed lowered and the focus racked out beyond the cam and as I focused further away (standard moved back toward camera) it poked into the bellows. I wasn't even using the RF but had just left the cam in place! so use caution when close focusing beyond cam range with a long cam...