PDA

View Full Version : Ilex Acme 3 shutter?

Froeschli
21-Dec-2020, 18:32
I am pretty much a noob. Haven't shot film in 15 years, and before that nothing past 120mm. Reason i am getting into LF is that my late husband left behind a Calumet CC400 and since it isn't selling, i figure i might as well learn to use it. Quite intrigued by the possibilities so far :-)

It has a 210mm lens, and not enough rail or bellows to get past 1:1 ratio. and since i would like to shoot some flower "portraits" I've been looking for a 150mm or less.

Someone in the area is selling an older kodak camera, (which is the precursor to my calumet) including the lens at a fairly cheap price. I'd be getting it mainly just for the lens. Which is an f4.5 6.5inch (ok that is roughly 165mm but still closer to what i want than the 210)

But the shutter is different from what I've seen. Now i am reading some of these are electric....
Ilex acme no 3 .

So, basically, I'm wondering how to test whether it is functioning, and if there are any hopes of fixing it whether it be electronic or mechanical. (From the lack of levers i suspect it is the electronic version, but then i read the acme were mechanical and now i got myself pretty confused...)

It's "only" $75cad so the lens may be worth it whether the shutter works or not. But honestly i just want something i can use... (i don't mind fixing something, im pretty good with mechanical things, electrical, past soldering connections, gives me the shudders though.) still waiting for the seller to get back to me on whether the shutter will trigger.

Maybe someone has some insight?

I'll attach what photos they sent me. Excuse the fuzz, but i guess they are not too invested in selling it...

Dan Fromm
21-Dec-2020, 18:51
https://skgrimes.com/products/shutters/ilex-shutters/

Havoc
22-Dec-2020, 03:17
Looks like a mechanical version to me.

Kevin Crisp
22-Dec-2020, 07:38
Assuming it needs nothing more than a clean, lube and adjustment, go for it. My Acme shutters have been very reliable and all have gone a decade plus without needing service. No worse than many of my Copals and Compurs shutter. They are generally just as accurate as the more modern shutters. Some of them (particularly in the #4 size) require cable releases that extend the probe portion (or whatever it is called — plunger?) a little further into the shutter body when taking a picture.

Froeschli
22-Dec-2020, 11:33
Thanks! Some further reading got me thinking it's the mechanical self cocking one too. For some reason i didn't even consider that as a possibility.

Yeah, i think i will get it. Spare parts for my camera and an extra lens. Happy xmas to me :D

Dan Fromm
22-Dec-2020, 11:52
OP, in Ilex parlance Acme means "cock and shoot" and Universal means "self-cocking."

Kevin Crisp
22-Dec-2020, 12:18
Looking again at the small photos - is this missing the cocking lever? There is a large, flat lever that lets you cock the shutter. Then you can lock it open for focusing and composition by pushing in a pin and then pushing the release arm. I am not seeing the cocking lever in the photos. Maybe it is pushed down flat (cocked)?

Jim Noel
22-Dec-2020, 14:39
It appears to be a self-cocking, mechanical shutter.

Dan Fromm
22-Dec-2020, 14:47

Jim, I'd like to agree with you, Acme-speak notwithstanding, but the shutter's indicated high speed is 1/200. Self-cocking Ilex shutters' top speed is 1/100.

We may be looking at a self-cocking shutter -- Universal -- with a cock-and-shoot shutter's face plate.

Louis Pacilla
22-Dec-2020, 14:50

Yes and also absent of flash sync so if you like to shot in studio w/ strobes consider this but a flash sync could be easily added by good tech while the shutter is being CLA'd.

This looks like a later B&L Tessar Ic cells and could have been mounted by B&J post WWII.

Havoc
22-Dec-2020, 14:51
Looking again at the small photos - is this missing the cocking lever? There is a large, flat lever that lets you cock the shutter. Then you can lock it open for focusing and composition by pushing in a pin and then pushing the release arm. I am not seeing the cocking lever in the photos. Maybe it is pushed down flat (cocked)?

I think you need to put it at T to open the shutter. No separate lever to open the shutter for focusing. My ilex n°4 is like that.

Froeschli
22-Dec-2020, 18:40
Jim, I'd like to agree with you, Acme-speak notwithstanding, but the shutter's indicated high speed is 1/200. Self-cocking Ilex shutters' top speed is 1/100.

We may be looking at a self-cocking shutter -- Universal -- with a cock-and-shoot shutter's face plate.

Ah, a mystery, hybrid puzzle frankenstein shutter. Can't decide if i am put off or intrigued...

The seller says it still works. So. I'll go with intrigued...

Whoever made the point about the flash sync. Didn't even consider that. Meh. My other lens/shutter has a flash sync. Not that i am wild about learning that aspect just now (gimme a few weeks ;-) ) hate working with strobes even on digital.

Froeschli
23-Dec-2020, 23:43
Well, for $75CAD, i got myself a lens and a camera for spare parts. Happy xmas to me :-)

https://i.imgur.com/uC6KGyr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ei7xxhY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wcd3c3s.jpg

It is self cocking. Still have to find someone with the equipment to test the speeds.

It fired, but would not adjust the timing no matter where i set it. After cleaning out the graphite dust, rinsing with alcohol and lubricating the movable parts, it now works like a charm.
I suspect the issue was that the levers inside the shutter that adjust timing are a bit short and may get jammed under the plate that adjusts them when handled roughly.

As for the camera, it seems lighter than my calumet, so i thought to keep it for field work. But there's a couple corner holes on the bellows, and meh. I really did just want the lens...