PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Xenotar 150mm f2.8 lens problem

ColonelKurtz
18-Dec-2020, 13:56
Hello All,
Was hoping someone could inform me. When my Xenotar 150mm lens is set to the "T" position, I am not able to cock the lens. The cocking lever remains immovable, and was wondering what the problem might be? I have never tried to use the Timer setting before, so maybe I'm not doing something, or maybe the timer function is actually broken... wondering. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bob Salomon
18-Dec-2020, 13:57
Self timer is V. Are you talking about the shutter speed T?

ColonelKurtz
18-Dec-2020, 14:02
Ah yes, shutter speed "T" then. I only ever use this lens at around 200th of a second because I'm shooting portraits at f2.8 with iso 400 film, so that puts my shutter speed way up there. What is the shutter speed "T" ?

Greg
18-Dec-2020, 14:15
T = "time"
B= "bulb" (I believe)
When set on T, Press the shutter release to open up the shutter, press it again to close the shutter. I'm totally guessing but if the shutter is open, you have to press the shutter one more time to close it, then you can change shutter speeds.
What is the make of the shutter?

ColonelKurtz
18-Dec-2020, 14:25

Its a Compur shutter. When it is in T, I can open the shutter with a cable release, but to close it, I have to manually slide the shutter ring to B and beyond, which doesn't make sense to me, because I'm moving the lens in order to close the shutter. What am I missing, here? Thanks!

paulbarden
18-Dec-2020, 15:02
I don't know about this specific shutter, but many of the early Compur shutters with a T setting were designed so that you DO NOT cock the shutter to use either B or T. If you force the shutter when in the B or T setting, you will break something. If you cannot close the T setting once open, then the shutter has already been damaged or at the very least it needs servicing.

Myriophyllum
18-Dec-2020, 15:09

Its a Compur shutter. When it is in T, I can open the shutter with a cable release, but to close it, I have to manually slide the shutter ring to B and beyond, which doesn't make sense to me, because I'm moving the lens in order to close the shutter. What am I missing, here? Thanks!

In short: T needs two "clicks"!
B: Press the cable release to open, hold to make exposure, close by taking pressure off.
T: Press the cable release to open, take pressure off, wait to make exposure, press the cable release to close, then take pressure off.

Best
Jens

ColonelKurtz
18-Dec-2020, 15:16
Yeah, that is my experience, so far. In B or T, I cannot cock the shutter with the cocking lever. The lens works well in all settings, besides the one problem that once the shutter is set to "T" and is opened with a cable release, I cannot close it without sliding the shutter ring to B and beyond. Thanks

ColonelKurtz
18-Dec-2020, 15:19
In short: T needs two "clicks"!
B: Press the cable release to open, hold to make exposure, close by taking pressure off.
T: Press the cable release to open, take pressure off, wait to make exposure, press the cable release to close, then take pressure off.

Best
Jens

Ok I'm not crazy, but this method was not working before, and now it is. Thanks!

Corran
18-Dec-2020, 15:58
Don't force the cocking lever on the shutter in T or B or else you will break your shutter.

ColonelKurtz
18-Dec-2020, 16:02
Last question... So, I just now opened up the lens and cleaned out in between the elements and its much better. Is there anywhere inside the Compur shutter, that would need lubrication? Figured I might as well take care of whatever is needed, now that I have all my stuff out... Thanks Again...

Corran
18-Dec-2020, 16:16
Unless you are very familiar with shutter repair, close it up and be happy, unless it's clearly out of time. Then send it somewhere properly. Compur #2 shutters are hard enough to find, I do NOT recommend trying to play with it if you are unfamiliar with shutter repair!!

ColonelKurtz
18-Dec-2020, 17:08
I used to work on all sorts of things when I worked at Samys Camera, here in Los Angeles, but I didn't go too far into large format lenses, at the time. I put one drop of oil at the base of the cocking lever in the shutter, and another drop on another lever axis today, but that's about it. Noticeably better now. Thanks for the tips.