PDA

View Full Version : use expired developer

h2oman
10-Dec-2020, 17:18
I was given some packages of xtol with expiration dates in 2015. Should it be used, or thrown away?

Kiwi7475
10-Dec-2020, 18:37
It’s either ok or gone bad. You could do a quick test but if those shots are critical I wouldn’t risk it.

This question was addressed a while back. Opinions are like colors.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/xtol-expiration-date-on-unmixed-chemicals.15626/

Michael R
10-Dec-2020, 18:39
It can depend on how the packages were stored etc., and XTOL’s dry ingredients may or may not exhibit any telltale visual signs of oxidation.

If you want to try to use it, I suggest testing the stock solution before using it to develop any masterpieces. Further, since the stock solution’s keeping properties may or may not be affected, I’d suggest doing something like a “clip test” each time you intend to use it. Could be overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Repeat the above procedure with each packet you mix (ie do not assume all the packages will behave the same).

Michael

h2oman
10-Dec-2020, 19:16
Thanks. I wasn't going to use it, because I want to stick with one developer. I was wondering if anyone else would want it. I have two two-bag (parts A and B) sets and I'll ship at my cost to anyone reading this who wants them (in the US, PM me), but otherwise I'll toss them.

Duolab123
10-Dec-2020, 19:18
They are probably ok if stored dry and cool. I've used some old XTOL with no problems. I've always kept in humidity controlled cool space in sealed plastic bins. If the powder flows freely and the packaging is intact probably okay. I would check with a test strip before dunking anything important. Use pure water.