PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of Kodak Rapid Fixer and Ilford Hypo Ch

Dennis_6262
17-Jan-2006, 23:24
I've searched for past questions on this and got limited info. I have several unopened boxes of Kodak Rapid Fixer (2-part). Age is unknown as I got it second-hand....about four years ago. Anyone know the shelf life of this for unopened product? I looked at the first two, and there is a little sediment in the bottom of the large bottle now. I'd throw it out for general principals, but I'd hate to do that if it is still good. I also have some old Hypo Check around, and I never did understand if that ages too. The last resort is to use the Hypo Check to verify the fixer. Thoughts? Thanks, Dennis

ronald moravec
18-Jan-2006, 04:30
Two year life on Rapid Fix. When you see the sediment on the bottom, it is no good.

Been happier with TF4 from Phogographers Formulary. Buy the gallon and put into smaller bottles, after shaking it up, right away. Mix to working strength from the small bottles as you need it. Large distributers sell it like Calumet and B and H so you need not buy direct if you don`t want to . Comes in gallons and quarts. Do not use acid stop baths with it.

Mix your own from raw chemicals and they last about forever in powder form.

Don`t use hypo check as I never reuse chemicals. Darkroom session over, out they go.

Mark Sampson
18-Jan-2006, 05:26
The yellowish mud in the bottom of the Rapid Fixer bottle is sulfur precipitating out. That means it's no good. I like TF-4 as well- once you have a procedure for its use it's a big improvement.

Dennis_6262
18-Jan-2006, 09:37
Thank you. That saves me some misery !

Dennis

Jim C.
15-Jan-2015, 15:32
I'm going to resurrect this 2006 thread since it's a good place to ask.

I have a bottle of the Kodak Rapid fixer concentrate that's about 4 years old, there is a white sediment
in the A concentrate part, as opposed to yellowish color that Mark Sampson mentions,
I guess it's the sulfur precipitate and it's not worth using ?

Mark Sampson
15-Jan-2015, 15:52
Jim, that's right. white or yellow, whatever, it's metallic sulfur that has precipitated out.

Jim C.
15-Jan-2015, 16:35
cool, thanks !