PDA

View Full Version : Sinaron SE vs Rodenstock's Apo Sironar S

johnj88
8-Dec-2020, 15:31
Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but regarding Sinaron SE vs Apo Sironar S, I know that the Sinaron SE is just the rebranded rodenstock Apo Sironar S.

But from my search, what's up for debate is if Sinar hand-picked and more carefully inspected select Rodenstock Apo Sironar S and made them Sinaron SEs.

Is this just rumor, or true? Some people say it's true, and some don't.

Thank you!

Oren Grad
8-Dec-2020, 15:54
Sorry if this has been asked a million times...

Not quite a million, but close enough. :)

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?29981-sinaron-se-and-apo-sironar-s-are-they-really-the-same

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?767-Linhof-tested-and-selected-Schneider-and-Rodenstock

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?67822-Are-quot-cherry-picked-quot-Linhof-lenses-a-myth

Bob Salomon
8-Dec-2020, 16:09
No, they ordered lenses to be branded as Sinaron just like Calumet ordered them as Caltar lenses. They were produced as ordered and labeled as ordered.
Both LInhof and Sinar purchased a Rodenstock Siemens Star testing system which they both used to QC lenses they bought. This test duplicated the test performed at the
Rodenstock factory.

johnj88
8-Dec-2020, 17:08
Technically that means the lenses were selected twice then in theory?

Once by rodenstock, a second by Sinar? And maybe Sinar returned some ones not in QC tolerance to Rodenstock?

I have a feeling you’re going to say no lenses were returned from Sinar back to Rodenstock however, right bob? You seem to be the go to person around here for Rodenstock questions!

rfesk
8-Dec-2020, 17:17
If they tested them again then the Sinar branded lenses should at least meet Rodenstock's standards.

Oslolens
8-Dec-2020, 17:37

Once by rodenstock, a second by Sinar? And maybe Sinar returned some ones not in QC tolerance to Rodenstock?

I have a feeling you’re going to say no lenses were returned from Sinar back to Rodenstock however, right bob? You seem to be the go to person around here for Rodenstock questions!Read something like "most returned was due to dust between the elements" by Bob.

You can do your own test with an (D)SLR: Is there focus? Does rotating the shutter make a difference at f8. Doubt you will see any difference at f32 ;)

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Bob Salomon
8-Dec-2020, 17:49

I have a feeling you’re going to say no lenses were returned from Sinar back to Rodenstock however, right bob? You seem to be the go to person around here for Rodenstock questions!
Have no idea. For all I know they sold them at special prices somewhere. I did watch LInhof test and reject some on their test system. Those went back to the factory. But LInhof engraved or silk screened their name on the lenses after they passed the test at LInhof. But since Sinaron and Caltar lenses were named during production the factory may not have taken them back.