PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Deardorff Video

RivetGun
30-Nov-2020, 15:01
I came across this very obscure video by the Tennessee Deardorff Co. - I hope the link works but there is a good chance it may not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_lVoGUeYNw

Eric Woodbury
30-Nov-2020, 15:15
Link works here. Thanks. E

Tin Can
30-Nov-2020, 15:18
It works

Duolab123
30-Nov-2020, 15:26
Oh if it had only worked out. The artifacts and parts shown in the video makes me curious if that all was preserved? Just the wrong ownership and inadequate capital. Catlabs seems to have ended up with a lot of parts. Wonder what happened to the display items and the paperwork?

Collin Orthner
1-Dec-2020, 10:11
There are a lot of options out there for fine large format cameras and it would be fabulous to have this, one of the older companies with many decades of tradition and experience, still offering their fine products as one of our choices.

Neal Chaves
1-Dec-2020, 12:51
I used Deardorffs for several years, first an old NFS V8 that I bought as a basket case for $400 in the early 80s and completely rebuilt with new bellows from Western Bellows. I built a backboard to use it as an 8X10 enlarger with a Dual Circuline fluorescent light fixture "cold light head". Then in 1985 or so when the market crashed, I bought an new, unused V8 from a man in desperate financial straights for $1600. A few years later, ordered one of the first of Fred Picker's new 8X10s and sold the Deardorff to pay for it. Big mistake, and I returned the camera to him in a few days after initial inspection and try-out. Picker was furious at my analysis and took quite a while to refund my money. Meanwhile I had been assisting a photographer who had a Toyo 810M and it greatly impressed me. I bought a nice used one from KEH for $1100. It soon needed a new "lifetime" bellows (most Toyos do) from Western Bellows and I have worked that camera ever since. If I thought there was something better, I would upgrade, but I just don't see it. It handles heavy lenses like the 150mm SW Nikkor and the 600mm ED TeleNikkor with ease, something no woody can do. No bag bellows required for short lenses down to the 120mm SW Nikkor which works great on a flat board. Considering that I could probably sell today for $2500, it has been a good investment. Mr. Labin Deardorff was a genius, no doubt about that, and his sons inherited his talent. I made some pleasing photos with the Deardorff, but I feel the Toyo 810M is a more practical choice today.

Tin Can
2-Dec-2020, 06:00
I have a refurbed 1937 Deardorff 5X7 that is 'just right' as in the 3 bears fable

Luis-F-S
2-Dec-2020, 08:04
Refurbished 1951 5x7 on left, and a 1987 camera on right, incidentally, assembled by Ken Hough who refurbished the camera on the left. Purchased new in 1987 from Central Camera in Chicago. L

Luis-F-S
2-Dec-2020, 08:09
A few years later, ordered one of the first of Fred Picker's new 8X10s and sold the Deardorff to pay for it. Big mistake, and I returned the camera to him in a few days after initial inspection and try-out.

I sold the Zone VI I bought also, thank goodness, I didn't sell my Dorff to pay for it! Hated the Wisner/Zone VI camera!

Tin Can
2-Dec-2020, 08:12
for the record, that TN video is terrible

Neal Chaves
2-Dec-2020, 11:15
I saw this in the terrible video. Doing things this way is probably an indicator of what went wrong with the whole operation. The Deardorff men were real craftsmen who prided themselves on their ability to machine mahogany to .001". They would never hand drill a hole like this.

Alan9940
2-Dec-2020, 12:00
I bought my 8x10 Deardorff brand new in the very early 80's and used it exclusively for nearly a decade. Nearing 70 years young now, I tend to use the Intrepid 8x10 Mk2 more, but I still very much enjoy schlepping the 'old Dorff out. It's the one camera I own that will be with me to the end! ;)

RivetGun
2-Dec-2020, 12:27
for the record, that TN video is terrible

I was waiting for someone else to say it!

RivetGun
2-Dec-2020, 12:28
I saw this in the terrible video. Doing things this way is probably an indicator of what went wrong with the whole operation. The Deardorff men were real craftsmen who prided themselves on their ability to machine mahogany to .001". They would never hand drill a hole like this.

Kind of makes your stomach churn doesn't it? I do better with a bird house.

Tracy Storer
2-Dec-2020, 15:23
Yeah, this bothered me too....

barryjyoung
3-Dec-2020, 10:29
There is an awesome "new" invention I am lucky to have in my shop called a milling machine, oh and a drill press too.
Sad to see Deardorff's assembled using a Dremel or whatever that is.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company
youngcameracompany.com