PDA

View Full Version : Lightening the non-load: Dispose of Metz Mecablitz SCA300 or keep?

roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau
28-Nov-2020, 15:36
In the spirit of "Big Boy... should he stay or go", I'm wondering whether this piece of hardware - acquired for an old MF camera - is worth the bother with LF gear, or I should just stick with the more portable Nikon flashes. As a relative newby to LF, I'm asking for advice. Seriously. I've a list of all the gear I'd like to ...er... relocate... over the next few months. Whaddya suggest? Add it to the pile?

ic-racer
28-Nov-2020, 15:39
You are throwing away a Metz flash? Which model? Does it work?

Jody_S
28-Nov-2020, 15:42
I've used a pair of metz 400-somethings on location as those were the best battery-powered flashes I had, I've also used a 60-CT4 as fill flash for outdoor portraits. They are fine flashes, they do exactly what they're meant to do with no fuss. For the little bit of space they take I'm not getting rid of mine.

I did hack open the battery pack so I could use a standard 12V lead acid cell instead of the $60 metz-branded one.

Willie
28-Nov-2020, 16:44
The big 60 series Metz strobes are always going to be useful. Powerful enough to use in umbrellas and soft boxes. Powerful enough and controllable for fill light on a building at some distance during the daytime. Also useful to light athletes across a football field when using a 400-600mm lens or a basketball player the full length of the floor.

You probably won't get much on the used market so as long as they work, keep them as you might find more need in the future than you realize.

28-Nov-2020, 18:06
Ic-Racer: Not throwing away... just looking at clearing out the "attic" so to speak.
All: So yeah... the thing puts out a boat load of light. Big light... big piece of hardware. And yes, prices for a lot of gear is dirt cheap these days.

Thanks to your advice... I'll keep it. Thanks!

Bob Salomon
28-Nov-2020, 18:15
In the spirit of "Big Boy... should he stay or go", I'm wondering whether this piece of hardware - acquired for an old MF camera - is worth the bother with LF gear, or I should just stick with the more portable Nikon flashes. As a relative newby to LF, I'm asking for advice. Seriously. I've a list of all the gear I'd like to ...er... relocate... over the next few months. Whaddya suggest? Add it to the pile?

The SCA is the flash shoe adapter to dedicate the flash to your camera. It is not the model of a strobe.

28-Nov-2020, 18:25
Right. Went back and looked more closely. It is a 60-CT-4 and the battery brick that goes with it. Have unit to link it to a Rolleiflex, but not sure what I'd need for a LF Chamonix 45F-2... but really, for my lenses.

Bob Salomon
28-Nov-2020, 18:31
Right. Went back and looked more closely. It is a 60-CT-4 and the battery brick that goes with it. Have unit to link it to a Rolleiflex, but not sure what I'd need for a LF Chamonix 45F-2... but really, for my lenses.

You would just need the SCA adapter, if you can find one, that plugs into the flash handle and has a standard PC plug on the other end.
Is your battery the gel cell or the nicad or, god forbid, the lead acid one?

28-Nov-2020, 21:03
Dunno. Will check in the morning. Thanks. I do know I bought it as described: "dry cell battery and charger" which probably means it is a nicad and ain't the lead wet cell. Gels came later I think. Have a cable an 356 mod... and for the rollei, the SCA356 adapter or something but maybe that can be used more broadly?

Jody_S
28-Nov-2020, 21:31
There is a cord that plugs directly into a PC socket on your lf lenses, if you don't have one look at fleabay for a cheap one. I used it handheld for portraits, to mimic the old magnesium powder flashes when taking casual portrait of people on the street. No need to mount it to a camera, you have two hands: one for the flash and one for the shutter release.

Also no need to buy the expensive battery unless you really want to. You can find a similar-capacity lead-acid battery for roughly $15 at your local electronics store. I cut out the sides of the battery pack to make it fit and added a small brass tab to align the one contact with the battery. But that's because I'm cheap.

There is also a telephoto adapter for that flash, in case you didn't know. I have photographed wildlife at night at 300ft with it. Easier nowadays with digital cameras and high-iso, you could probably go 1,000 ft with a modern camera. I was using 400ASA film. I also used it on a monopod with a 400mm lens, once you get the settings right you can shoot at f11 1/60 in the woods without worrying about camera shake, instead of shooting on a tripod at 1/4 and hoping the bird/animal doesn't move or leave while you're setting up your tripod.

matthew blais
29-Nov-2020, 09:18
I got my metz CT cord from here:

Products | Paramount Cords | Professional Photographic Cords
paramountcords.com

seezee
1-Dec-2020, 14:58
I got my metz CT cord from here:

Products | Paramount Cords | Professional Photographic Cords
paramountcords.com

I can endorse this supplier. Best cables money can buy. Also best place to find really obscure adapters.