28-Nov-2020, 12:57
Platform for Century 8A, 11x14.

Tin Can
28-Nov-2020, 13:54
Tis Truly Majestic!

I just put away the same tripod, mounted on old Sachtler dolly

slerman
28-Nov-2020, 14:53
I wonder how much the Century 8A weighs...

Tin Can
28-Nov-2020, 14:59
Weigh yourself, then you holding camera

subtract the tare weight

I know I cannot do that with 2 cameras I use

Roger Thoms
28-Nov-2020, 15:26

Somethings you're better off not knowing. :)

Roger

Duolab123
28-Nov-2020, 15:29
I'm impressed. The tripod is in beautiful condition. So much fun!
Excellent table saw skills as well!

Duolab123
28-Nov-2020, 15:33
I put that head on a Quick-set Hercules and was able to find a Hercules dolly. Someone upgraded the casters, smooth as silk.

Vaughn
28-Nov-2020, 17:19
Weigh yourself, then you holding camera

subtract the tare weight

I know I cannot do that with 2 cameras I use

I tend to top out scales even without holding a camera.

A magnificent support!

John Layton
28-Nov-2020, 18:33
Had a Quick Set "Gibralter" back in the day - so very massive...could likely have used it as a building jack (no kidding!). I think these were originally designed to use with the old, colossal, Panavision cameras on movie sets. I actually did some stills for a Hollywood flick (shot here in Vermont) called "Return to Salems Lot." Very much a B-Grade Campy product...but a real hoot of an experience! At any rate...my main task was to be as close to the big Panavisions as possible to capture stills from their vantage point. But politically...at least back then (1987), a stills photographer on a motion picture set was treated as a complete bottom feeder...so a very thick skin was required!

slerman
28-Nov-2020, 20:10
I'm impressed. The tripod is in beautiful condition. So much fun!
Excellent table saw skills as well!

Just a circular saw, drill, and a great old piece of engineering!

Vaughn
7-Jan-2021, 12:11
I thought I would toss this out there. I have no connection to the designer/developer/seller. I have no idea how well it will be made.

https://www.intension-design.com/tripod-desk-pro?fbclid=IwAR0Wis8oFPtfTZcy62GqrMSOVhdy5uOGc2a_ZScBrzfMUrTRzZ8xSOfbVjo

Tin Can
7-Jan-2021, 12:49
The trouble with all my tripods is they cannot get low enough on my 2 dollies to shoot seated people straight on

The big Linhof is nice but any combination is either too low or too high

My Majestic same as OP has the same problem on another dolly

Finally today I realized I need to take an Arkay stand out of storage and use it

It will go low and high but won't work for my heaviest cameras

Arkay 8MS-III Mono Stand Senior III (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/187580-REG/Arkay_60242402_8MS_III_Mono_Stand_Sr.html/qa)

Of course I bought it used for 5% of new retail and the seller loaded it up in my van

Tin Can
7-Jan-2021, 13:20
Forgot to add, I will use a Majestic head on the Arkay which was an option...until Majestic lost status

Richard Wasserman
7-Jan-2021, 14:23
The camera and support certainly are nice, but I've been admiring the multi-drawer cabinet in the background. Sorry, I used to have an antiques business...

Mark Sampson
8-Jan-2021, 11:25
Tin Can, perhaps your issue is why we used a chair of bar-stool height when I was a portrait photographer. For relevance, the 70mm long-roll camera sat on a Majestic tripod, itself on a dolly. And the method taught by the studio that I worked for had the camera position slightly above the subject's eyes, quite different from today's 'up-the-nose' look.

Tin Can
8-Jan-2021, 13:21
Good points

I use 14 to 20" for 8X10 heads, emulating Karsh

I am going to bring the Arkay stand in studio next week when it warms up

but no sitters for long time past and future

Chicago had plenty

Jody_S
8-Jan-2021, 13:38
The trouble with all my tripods is they cannot get low enough on my 2 dollies to shoot seated people straight on

My Scovill Adams studio 8x10 came with their 'Elite' studio stand, which is just a tilting platform adjustable from 32" tp 48". Not as pretty as the Kodak stands with the big cast hardware, but it does the job quite well. Given that the center of the lens is about 12" from the platform, I have a range of 44" to 60" from the floor to the center.

Tin Can
8-Jan-2021, 13:58
I had something similar, wood table 4 leg gear rise, with tilt at one end exactly this but not as shiny (https://www.urbanremainschicago.com/rare-early-20th-century-all-original-and-completely-intact-fully-adjustable-professional-studio-camera-solid-mahogany-wood-crank-stand-with-cast-iron-wheel-and-locking-lever.html)

It was repaired before me a lot, I deemed it not strong enough and sold to a traveling collector from Texas, I sold him a lot, he had many Deardorff studio cameras in his trailer and van.

I forget his name

No regrets

but I may make my own version, when things slow down

Ron (Netherlands)
10-Jan-2021, 11:49
Impressive indeed .....

there are of course always bigger / stronger ones.....

https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTI3NFgxNTAw/z/2tEAAOSwVSFfHsuE/$/867-Hoh-Hahne-Reprokamera-_57.jpg

slerman
4-Feb-2021, 13:11
It is an amazing collector's cabinet. Juuuuust fit in the new (old house).

slerman
4-Feb-2021, 13:14
Impressive indeed .....

there are of course always bigger / stronger ones.....

https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTI3NFgxNTAw/z/2tEAAOSwVSFfHsuE/$/867-Hoh-Hahne-Reprokamera-_57.jpg

Ron (Netherlands)
4-Feb-2021, 16:10

yep, you're (almost) there ;-)