PDA

View Full Version : Which camera?

Michael Hall
16-Jan-2006, 23:41
I shoot location work, almost intirely. I have owned a Wista Zone VI and have done for many years now. I love its compactness and its functionality. On a commercial shoot a get some strange looks especially from some of the younger Art Directors, they just don't get it. Also the more time I spend taking images for my clients and (especially) myself the more I wish for a more precision instrument. This has lead me to the possible conclusion the Linhof Technakarden 45 is the camera for me. I haven't been able to handle one of these, in Australasia I don't beleive there are any??? Is anyone out there fimiliar with the Linhof Technakarden 45's quirks or are there other cameras I should be looking at before I commit to buying one. Some considerations are; I enjoy travelling light, compact is a key word, I like beautifully machined gear & this next purchase will be for life, I need to shoot wider (but not much) than 90mm, I don't require much swing or tilt range for what I shoot, although backplate shift would be useful.

Thank you

Steve Hamley
17-Jan-2006, 05:28
Michael,

http://www.butzi.net/reviews/linhoftk45s.htm

and on this site:

http://largeformatphotography.info/linhof/tk.html

I think both Kerry Thalmann and Scott Rosenberg have used the TK45s in the past, and both now use an Arca-Swiss. IIRC, Scott wanted the ability to use other formats, which the Technikardan does not offer. You might send them an email if they don't post.

Steve

Ron Marshall
17-Jan-2006, 05:41
If you decide to go for it there is one at Badger now.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=159

CXC
17-Jan-2006, 09:18
Technikardan is a fine choice for a precise camera, as is the Arca-Swiss. For me the big concerns would be two:

1. Is the bellows long enough and flexible enough for my longest and shortest lenses. If neither is
flexible enough, then are bag bellows available, and how do they compare.

2. How hard is it to set up/break down and transport.

I considered both of these cameras when shopping for my final 4x5. I ended up with a traditional flatbed, sacrificing precision for convenience. And price.

Christopher Perez
17-Jan-2006, 09:18
If you get a chance to fondle a Linhof before you purchase, take a close look at Arca Swiss shortly thereafter. The differences are subtle, but the Arca is such a sweet camera for precision photography.

robc
17-Jan-2006, 09:55
I own and use a Technikardan. It is a very good camera.

I bought it as my first 4x5 camera not really knowing whether I would be doing mostly landscape or still life/studio. The fact is that I have only done landscape and as a pure landscape camera I think there are better options. However, having said that, if you want to be able to use short lenses with a lot of shift, then with the bag bellows the shift available is more than most lenses have available. It is very vesatile in that sense. It will easily double as a studio / macro / landscape camera but trying to be all things means it is not the best for any one.

Contrary to some reports which claim it is difficult to fold and unfold, I have found it very easy. A little practice when you first get it and it becomes a simple operation. You just have to remember to realease all the necessary locks. If you have a tendancy to be hamfisted or to hurry then its probably not for you.

For me doing landscape photography, I find that because the camera is not enclosed when folded, you need a good packing system when transporting it otherwise the corners of the compressed bellows could be damaged. You can't expect to throw it in a rucksack and not have that happen so it needs its own padded compartment, which I have and have not had problems. However, I would like to be able to use a small day sack and think a technika would be better for that since the camera when folded is safe inside its own case. There is a trade off in versatility here but not that much. I'm not sure how much movement a technika with a 90mm lens has. You could be limited for architectural work requiring a lot of front rise with a short lens but apart from that I think the technika is a more robust and rigid camera better suited for backpacking and regular transportation in less than ideal situations/conditions.

The technikardan folds with mosts lenses in place which is nice. I have the reflex viewer, which I like, and I never use a dark cloth.

martin_4668
17-Jan-2006, 11:05
There is also several in stock + lenses and accesories at www.photografica.com

Ed Richards
17-Jan-2006, 11:07
> here is a trade off in versatility here but not that much. I'm not sure how much movement a technika with a 90mm lens has.

I have IV with a 90 - some rise, no shift because the lensboard hits the supporting brackets. Plenty of tilt and swing, plus you get the back movements. The Master may be better on shift, it certainly is on rise. You can drop the bed for fall or flip the camera.

Scott Rosenberg
17-Jan-2006, 11:59
as steve mentioned, i owned a tk45s before replacing it with an arca swiss f-line metric. i found the arca to be a superior camera in nearly every way, as as steve mentioned, i have the 8x10 format kit, so can shoot both formats with it. i'll not get into my specific dislikes about the TK45S here, as i don't want to start a flame war. however, i will gladly correspond with you privately. feel free to email me directly and i will answer any and all questions you may have.

Frank Petronio
17-Jan-2006, 18:40
I've had both too and while either one is a superior, wonderful camera, the Arca wins in my estimation. The Linhof seems to have more hand-fit parts and a definite personality. The Arca is cold and precise - all computer milling and perfection. But that is just it - Arca nailed it, with everything from the quality of the bellows to the brightness of the ground glass - while the Linhof has more "quirks" but is an amazing, bizzare gadget. Kind of like comparing a Mercedes couple to a British sports car.