PDA

View Full Version : Mamiya Universal Rangefinder Adjustment?

robert poor
16-Jan-2006, 20:40
I use a Mamiya Universal with a Graflok back to take 6x9 images using 2x3 cut film holders (not the special Mamiya ones) or a Grafmatic. The split images in the rangefinder do not line up properly as the yellow image appears significantly raised vertically as compared to the straight through image. Does anyone know how to correct this or can you direct me to a source of information on maintenance, adjustment, and alignment of the rangefinder. I suspose the rangefinder is the same on all the Mamiya press cameras of this type and perhaps also on the Polaroid 600 SE. This problem makes it real tough to use the rangefinder when there are no verticle lines.

Bob

Jack Flesher
16-Jan-2006, 23:38
If you pull the top plate off the camera, you will be able to access all of the adjustment screws for the RF, both horizontal and vertical.

Note, that this is a good time to verify accuracy and set the body AND all of your lenses up correctly as well. (Those three screws on the rear of lens are for adjusting the cam position so it registers the correct distance on the lens' distance scale. )

It helps to have a GG back or Polaroid to do this. First confirm or calibtrate one of your lenses to spot on by focusing on the GG or with a polaroid from a known distance like 10 feet. Adjust the lens cam if necessary so the distance scale reads 10 feet on that lens.

Now set the camera 10 feet from a vertical mark and using the lens you just calibrated set to 10 feet and adjust the camera RF so the images line up perfectly. Now you have the camera calibrated and can in turn use it calibrate all of your remaining lenses so they read properly on their focus scales.

Cheers,

Hiro
16-Jan-2006, 23:49
Check out this link:

www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000Eab&tag= (http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000Eab&tag=)