PDA

View Full Version : "Camera Work" A Photographic Quarterly. Online

Sean Mac
23-Nov-2020, 14:58
Apologies if this has been posted before...

https://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/camera_work

or

https://modjourn.org/journal/camera-work/

The second link has PDF versions of each edition

:)

Drew Wiley
23-Nov-2020, 21:02
Some insanely iconic images. The ads are interesting too. Pyro, color checker charts, vintage cameras, even drymount tissue. I'd imagine any intact issues would auction for quite a high price.

Tin Can
24-Nov-2020, 05:58
I never saw this available as download

Fantastic, I will download and use them as tutorial

Thank you for posting!

Jim Noel
24-Nov-2020, 09:10
Thanks for posting this. I plan to read them all, and the images are wonderful.

drew.saunders
24-Nov-2020, 11:45
A few years ago Taschen put out "Camera Work: The Complete Photographs 1903-1917" in a rather nice book that I picked up for a pretty reasonable price. They don't list it on their website now, so maybe it was a short run, but it's quite nice. Not free, though, but sometimes you like to sit down with some dead trees in your hands instead of a screen.

Borischekov
6-Dec-2020, 15:03
Awesome! Used to read these at my University Library but did not know they were available online. Decent scans too!

mitrajoon
6-Dec-2020, 16:41
I've been working my way through them. Articles can be tedious or fascinating. The description of the amazing development by the Lumiere brothers -- an easy to do and color accurate film process, was on the fascinating side. The color photos by Steichen were in fact amazing. I also learned in another article that the use of Red,Green & Blue dyed potatoes (roughly speaking) mashed to the microscopic (pixel) size at a resolution of approximately 5MP (my translation) was at the core of the process. Also noted that the colors weren't mixed equally, green was a greater percentage of the mix. Sound familiar? That part was fascinating. But then I am a bit of nerd.

There's also essays on the those modern avante garde painters, e.g., The Fauvists like Matisse, that the conservative Impressionists find too radical. :) Similar commentary on modern fiction writers, sculptors etc. Of course, unlike my youthful days, I just read the magazine for the photos. ;)

Sean Mac
7-Dec-2020, 13:02
Articles can be tedious or fascinating.

I have been skimming through them as I download.

I'm not sure I made it more than halfway through just one of the many "Is Photography an Art?" essays.

There's also essays on the those modern avante garde painters, e.g., The Fauvists like Matisse, that the conservative Impressionists find too radical. :) Similar commentary on modern fiction writers, sculptors etc.

The response to the exhibition of Brancusi sculpture was entertaining.

Modernism was still in a state of innocence then :)